Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally received the ESM Hellcat with no damage. I decided to go with the 46cc Brillelli. I am considering which retracts to get. From these boards, the Sierra's seem to be able to handle the weight ok. Has anyone had experience with the v3 Electric retracts now available through Troybuilt and VQ?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:09 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my Hellcat the version 2 electrics were not in stock, and besides I had read there were a lot of problems with them. The version 3 were also not available. I would have preferred electric but the Sierra's were the only 100 degree rotating retracts available so that is what I got. I already had all the other air equipment necessary, fill valves, air lines, air tank and control valve. That considered, the Sierras were only $30-$40 more than the TBM electrics. The Sierras are worth it, I have not regretted getting them. Well built, sturdy, dependable and fit with out alterations. If you get the v3 electrics give us a report.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay RBean,
I must concur, that Sierra retracts are a work of art and worth every penny...period. I don't know how these retracts do it...but they make a so-so landing, seem darn right beautiful. It was the best choice I could have made for my ESM F6F and when you figure out the total cost of the build, the little extra you spend for the Sierra retracts, is a drop in the bucket.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 PM
RBean

Hello Bob Paris. We have 12" of snow on the runway so not much flying, except the cub with skis when its not too cold and windy. So I have been doing a little cosmetic work on the Hellcat. Added guns, gun smoke streaks, exhaust stains and the small front gear doors. Had to disassemble the Sierras to drill and tap for 4-40 screw to hold bracket to hold rod connected to the door. Took a while to get the geometry working. Here are some pictures taken in the shop. Also painted the H9 Hellcat canopy to match.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1765.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	1967355   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1768.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	719.0 KB
ID:	1967356   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1771.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	716.8 KB
ID:	1967357   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1762.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	515.0 KB
ID:	1967358  
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Bob Paris

Hay RBean,
Nice set of gear doors. My main gear doors do not sit to flat on my F6F for they were cut prior to receiving the model. Would you pup up a picture with your gear retracted for me...so I can see how you did it. I like the airbrush work on the exhaust.

The weather has not been to cooperative here for the past two months. The pineapple express has been in full swing with lots of rain and wind. The rain we need so no big deal there, but the winds have been the issue here for two months now. Only a couple of flying day's here since the new years and the rain cycle has been over the week ends...not during the week, so not much flying. I built a small 2548 combat model, a Spitfire and now building a F82 on the bench...another 2548 combat model. Our Maui club is starting up a little combat competition and I do want to get into the middle of it.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 02-11-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
RBean

Here are some pictures that I have. The gear doors don't lay flat, but not really obvious while flying.

Name:	100_1773.JPG
Views:	964
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	1967622   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1772.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	1967623  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM
warhwk

Update: After receiving my ESM Hellcat last week, I have my Brillelli 46 mounted on a beam mount. I extended the prop hub 20mm to clear the inverted pitts muffler, and have the cowl 10mm ahead of the plans 160mm. I don't think it will be too noticeable, and may help with balance as I do not have much room to mount batteries or electronic ignition around the engine. I used 4-40 blind nuts for the cowl install that used up my months allotment of cuss words.

Next, I next installed the wing center section. I carefully measured 18mm from where I thought the instructions showed, but once trial fitted, the front of the wing was angled severely downward, so I just used the fuse to line up the wing in the socket as best I could. After I got the center wing mounted, I put in the landing gear blocks, but as soon as I put the plane on it's legs, one landing gear block disintegrated. Well, the plywood de-laminated and the hardwood (Pine? Bamboo?) block glue joint failed. I plan to put some retracts in, but I wanted to at least start the engine while I wait on the gear. <sigh>
One other issue, I dropped the canopy from about 3' on to a hardwood floor and the canopy cracked a bit at the top rear. I repaired with with fiberglass cloth and epoxy and it should not be too noticeable unless the crack spreads into the clear sections. I hear replacement canopies are made from unobtainium.
Well, that's it for now. I will update this post when enough forward progress warrants an update
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM
RBean

warhwk, I had the same problem mounting the wing. I ended up drilling larger hole for the front mounting dowels, cut block of wood that would just fit between the plywood at forward wing mount and the fiberglass of the fuselage, drilled them for the dowels, greased the dowels, used epoxy on the blocks, slide them into place mounted the wind so there was no wing fuselage gap. When epoxy dried, blocks and mounting holes in proper place. I would like to see a picture of the Brillelli 46 mounted. And yes the canopies are made of unobtainium, and brittle to boot. A Hanger 9 Hellcat canopy can be made to work if necessary. I did manage to obtain another ESM Hellcat canopy from a secondary source, but I'm holding than precious part in reserve.

After installing the small front gear doors, I added another air tank to the Hellcat to increase capacity. I mounted it in top of fuselage behind the cockpit. Didn't want to mount anything behind the cg if I could help it, but after flying etc, I don't think this small about of weight at that location will have an effect. I have a medium size Robart tank in the forward part of the belly pod. The one mounted in the fuselage is a small Spring Air tank, because that is what I had. Now up to 5-6 cycles so I feel I have some reserve.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Emil The Swede

I have almost finished my build. It was a lot more work than expected. It has been good reading this thread, just to know it is a great flyer. I have a build-log on my club-site in Sweden. Though it might be useful for new readers/builders to see some pictures of a build, so here is the link:http://www.amfk.se/forum/viewtopic.p...t=718&start=10 It is written i Swedish, but the pictures are international :-). Thank you guys that has contributed to this thread, it has been useful information and good reading!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 PM
warhwk

Originally Posted by RBean
warhwk, I had the same problem mounting the wing. I ended up drilling larger hole for the front mounting dowels, cut block of wood that would just fit between the plywood at forward wing mount and the fiberglass of the fuselage, drilled them for the dowels, greased the dowels, used epoxy on the blocks, slide them into place mounted the wind so there was no wing fuselage gap. When epoxy dried, blocks and mounting holes in proper place. I would like to see a picture of the Brillelli 46 mounted. And yes the canopies are made of unobtainium, and brittle to boot. A Hanger 9 Hellcat canopy can be made to work if necessary. I did manage to obtain another ESM Hellcat canopy from a secondary source, but I'm holding than precious part in reserve.

After installing the small front gear doors, I added another air tank to the Hellcat to increase capacity. I mounted it in top of fuselage behind the cockpit. Didn't want to mount anything behind the cg if I could help it, but after flying etc, I don't think this small about of weight at that location will have an effect. I have a medium size Robart tank in the forward part of the belly pod. The one mounted in the fuselage is a small Spring Air tank, because that is what I had. Now up to 5-6 cycles so I feel I have some reserve.

Here is the pic of the Brillelli stuffed in. I will need only a small side hole for the carb venturi and a bit more exhaust area cut out.

Name:	IMG_1065.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1972441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1064.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1972442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1972443  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 AM
warhwk

I finally got some time to work on the Cat. Spent all day on the tail-feathers. I used HD nylon coated cable from Chief Aircraft and 4-40 ball links for the pull-pull setup. I rebuilt the landing gear blocks and bent some 7/32" music wire, so I can at least put it on it's legs and see if this Brillelli 46 will start.

It feels terribly nose heavy with the 46cc installed and I am anxious to see where my COG will end up. I am prepared to install rear elevator servo's if needed.

For those that have already flown the ESM Hellcat, how were the published control surface throws?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
RBean

warhwk, if the Brillelli weights 55oz, you won't be nose heavy. The G-38 weights 71oz and I had to have everything as for forward as possible, including putting a 3,000 mha battery on brackets above the engine inside the cowl to get to the correct cg with out adding weight. With regard to control throw, next time I have the plane together, I'll measure the throws. As I recall, I think the elevator and rudder throws in instructions were ok but the aileron were to much for me. Had to tone them down.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
warhwk

Here's a Pic of my progress so far. I am running low on hardware and the local hobby store rc-plane selection is a joke, so I might be held up for a bit waiting on parts. Has anyone used the Tru-Turn Prop hub on this model?. I am contemplating either the 1 1\4" or the 1 1\2" B Prop Hub. Somewhere, I read that the prop hub for Corsairs, Thunderbolts etc was about 10". So, at 1\7th Scale that would come out to around 1.4". I would love to see a pic of an ESM Warbird with a Tru-Turn Prop hub to help me decide which size looks best.

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1975146  
Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Emil The Swede

Here is a pic. The big is 1/ 1/2", the small is 1 1/4". I went with the big one. If you want more pics of that one, use the link in my post #334

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	647.7 KB
ID:	1975354  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM
warhwk

Thank you Emil! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know!!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM
warhwk

I finally got to the point I could start to check CG. RBean was correct! I still need a bit of weight up front even with the 46 Brillelli I have stuffed in the nose. With two batteries in the front chin area, I am currently balanced about 115mm. Am I correct that 110mm is a good place to start for the first flights? My other area of concern is a sticky pull-pull on both rudder and elevator. Both are on Hitec 645MG servo's. Aside from being a bit noisy, I have had pretty good results with these servos. I think I need to lubricate the tubes for the flying wires. What is a good lubricant for this...plain graphite? Machine oil?

Name:	IMG_1081.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1977826  
Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Emil The Swede

Warhk, I did not go with the wires supplied with the model, I used du-bro wires that are coted with plasic. Maybe it will work better?

I have an OS-200FS up front in mine and ended up with 16.3 Ibs (7,4kg) in total. What do yours weigh with the brillelli?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM
warhwk

Emil, I used HD nylon coated cable from Chief aircraft used in giant scale aerobatic planes. So I have nylon to plastic friction. I do not want to put graphite in, then find out I still have binding. I am thinking of using a motorcycle cable lube unless someone warns me otherwise.

I don't have a weight yet, I am guessing I will be about 17-18 lbs when completed
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Emil The Swede

I would try silicon oil/grease. Silicon works well with plastic/nylon. Vaseline will probably work well to.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 AM
warhwk

I took it outside for a few beauty shots. Obviously still missing gear doors. Those are waiting for the arrival of Sierra Retracts

Name:	3-16-14 078.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1978485   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-16-14 081.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1978486   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-16-14 083.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1978487  
Old 03-23-2014, 06:24 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Hello guys, could I ask you about the weight of your Hellcats? I´m working on ESM Dauntless right now and I want to compare the weight with F6F.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 AM
RBean

Prekin, mine is 18.3 lbs. This is with a G-38 and Sierra gear. Every thing mounted as far forward as possible. No cockpit, no retractable tale wheel. Did not have to add weight. It flys good at this weight. Others have reported weights up to 23 lbs but report flying ok. Someone reported his at 16.5 lbs or so. I don't know how you can have it that light and still have a good cg, but good for him.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Prekin,
Mine came out to 20 lbs. with Sierra gear and I repainted mine + I needed to do a bit of a rebuild to the tail feathers. She flys so sweet its amazing and the Sierra landing gear is the best...Period. To be honest, getting this F6F @ 16.5 lbs. is a mystery to me. This kit builds tail heavy...and mine needed lead as well as tossing everything as far forward as possible. No matter what your weight, this model from ESM flys great at weights up to 24 lbs. You will need to keep your throttle on during the approach, but that's normal for any high wing loaded WWII fighter.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you for sharing information guys. Today I weighed my Dauntless, and without batteries, tail wheel and scale gunner it is 14.5 pounds.

Bob, sometime I think about the weight which producers write in manuals. The biggest mystery for me is CMP Zero 50 cc. They present 14.3 pounds It is impossible to get right C.G. with this weight. My Zero is approximately 24 pounds.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
RBean

It seems like it has been a long winter around here. Finally had some decent weather two days ago. Flew the Great Planes Stearman first to get sort of current then flew the Hellcat. The modified gear worked. I didn't think the small front gear doors would be a problem, but you never know until you test things in the air. Flight was without incident. Take off was good, maneuvers ok for the most part , gear came down and had a good landing with flaps. A little long but stopped on the runway. Flying and running great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.