Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart electric retract question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart electric retract question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
motor12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart electric retract question

I am just starting to put together my Top Flite FW190 giant scale warbird and i am going to install Robart electric mains with a servo actuated retract for thetail wheel. My question is should i run the retracts off a seperate battery and put the receiver and servos on a second battery with the DLE55 ignition on a battery of it's own. This will be three batterys total. I am not opposed to doing this as i will need the weight to balance the model.Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM
skillet92

Default RE: Robart electric retract question

I have 3 down and locked retracts and they use the same control broad. It will work just fine off of you reciever battery. They have built in overload protection. If the gear jams it stops and when you try to send it the other direction it will try to move. I use life on all my planes for reciever and on my ESM corsair after 4 10 to 12 minute flights I put about 800 milliamps back in the battery. It is a 2300 hobby king life.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, they will work off the RX battery.

However, I don't recommend it. In the remote event you do have a problem, you don't want the RX on the same system. Consider the separate battery cheap insurance for an expensive airplane. Also, I have almost exclusively gone to 6.6V A123 batteries for the RX, but the D&L retracts benefit from a 2 cell LiPo at 7.4V. An 1100 MAH will do fine.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I typically use a dedicated battery for my electric gear just because it's so cheap and easy to do with modern LiFe receiver packs. There is virtually no weight penalty if you use a 2S 700mAH LiFe battery for the gear. The cost penalty is small too since those batteries are less than 5 dollars from Hobby King. Yes, 700 mAh seems small, but I have cycled my ESM gear 20 times and charged the battery immediately afterwards. The pack took a little over 150 mAh. That's more than enough for a full day at the field.

Like Ram said, it's not completely necessary but it is very cheap insurance for very expensive models.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Gary on the aseparate battery. Also in gearing up my C-47 with the new electric gear I found that the bigger units tend to take a long time on 6 volts to get up or down. I woudl highly recommend a 2S lipo on the gear to help get them up/down quicker. It takes a couple of seconds off the transit time.