Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Painting & weathering with laxex paint

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Painting & weathering with laxex paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
p51tom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting & weathering with laxex paint

I am painting my Don Smith Hellcat with the three tone paint scheme of Alex Viraciu's #19 Hellcat. I am having trouble getting the separation between each color with out over spray. I am using a Badger 175 with the fine tip. Do I need to buy a new airbrush in order to get the proper look? Has anyone used an airbrush that will give me a finer line for this task and also for weathering, if so what make & model?
Thanks P51 Tom
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Painting & weathering with laxex paint

You should use round foam tape. The car guys use it to put in door jams. It's sold in most auto paint stores. It gives you a soft edge on your paint. Works very well.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the foam tape. If you look at the full scale birds as well there is always over spray to the next color. Remember they were cranking this things out as fast as they could. They were not putting tape on them to get a sharp line. Just straight. Post some pics when you get a chance.
George
Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I get that window insulation tape from Lowes which does the same thing for about two bucks a role. Each role will do a 50cc bird. I never found the auto tape stuff.[] And a $13 airbrush from Harbor freight. Works every time
Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 PM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea!

Can you please post a pic of what you use? I think I know what you mean but....

Whit

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

I get that window insulation tape from Lowes which does the same thing for about two bucks a role. Each role will do a 50cc bird. I never found the auto tape stuff.[] And a $13 airbrush from Harbor freight. Works every time
Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Ramstein44

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18678.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	1887173  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 PM
dasintex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, sorry for the dumb questions; you guys use the Foam to not totally mask out the edges, to allow a slight fuzzy edge, slightly overspray, to avoid crisp lines, more like full scale; another question, how do you attach the foam to the surface, I know the window foam Ram was showing is self adhesive, but if you put the adhesive side down, don't you get a clean edge that you are trying to avoid?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Ramstein44

I spray to get the clean line using the tape then I use my airbrush on a finer setting to blend it in. The tape is for serious overspray..[:'(] Here is my D9 under the works. Before and after. In the first picture, you can see the fuse has been completely done but the wing needs the blending and in the second, the wing is done.

Name:	Ca81070.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1887201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96704.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1887202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46978.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1887203  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Ramstein44

The other option is to get a "good" airbrush with variable settings of wide and thin. I have one but it's not for large scale.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a $15 HF airbrush that will do a perfectly fine line for large warbirds. I usually just tear thin cardboard and hold it in place at the color breaks in camoflauge. Seemsto work fine.
Of course, I want to get a better airbrush with a gravity cup, with lid. This keeps me from spilling paint on my project when hitting odd angles.

Much to be found here: http://www.tcpglobal.com/
Old 05-31-2013, 04:49 AM
wphilb

I found that when I masked and then went back with an airbrush, a hint of the hard line could be seen if you looked hard enough, but it was needed because under the tail surfaces on the USN three color scheme the lines are two close together to do all freehand, even the layer touch up was tricky. Any advice for getting the line blended in??

Whit

Thanks for posting the tape pic
Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 AM
BobH

Once you have a hard line, you have a hard line. Not easy to hide it. You need to sand that line and freehand the soft line. I don't think there's much of a different option.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:03 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Ok, sorry for the dumb questions; you guys use the Foam to not totally mask out the edges, to allow a slight fuzzy edge, slightly overspray, to avoid crisp lines, more like full scale; another question, how do you attach the foam to the surface, I know the window foam Ram was showing is self adhesive, but if you put the adhesive side down, don't you get a clean edge that you are trying to avoid?
I am thinking that is the advantage of the round foam from the auto paint shop. Allows a fuzzy line due to the curvature of the tape. But, I don't know if that tape is self adhesive; I would guess it has to be.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 AM
Ramstein44

ORIGINAL: wphilb

I found that when I masked and then went back with an airbrush, a hint of the hard line could be seen if you looked hard enough, but it was needed because under the tail surfaces on the USN three color scheme the lines are two close together to do all freehand, even the layer touch up was tricky. Any advice for getting the line blended in??

Whit

+1 on the fine sand paper
Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Whit
fine sand paper
So another dumb question then ... If you are not using the foam tape to creat the fuzzy blend, why not just mask with regular masking tape then com back with the airbrush?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: BobH

You should use round foam tape. The car guys use it to put in door jams. It's sold in most auto paint stores. It gives you a soft edge on your paint. Works very well.

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Edge-Foam.../dp/B00B8ZIMEC
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 AM
dasintex

ORIGINAL: aymodeler

Whit
fine sand paper
So another dumb question then ... If you are not using the foam tape to creat the fuzzy blend, why not just mask with regular masking tape then com back with the airbrush?

Glad you posed the question, I was thinking the exact same thing, trying to figure out in my head the advantage of using the Foam Tape or Foam rope stuff!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Ramstein44

From my experiences with the stuff I used, it prevents the paint from creeping into those tight gaps like pnl lines and so on. when I used regular tape, I had difficulties with this. In my third picture, the line running down the fuse sides was taped and you can see on the supercharger where it ran. I guess it makes sense due to being weather striping..

I guess ultimately, your best bet is to get a good airbrush and not to worry about using tape.. I use a iwata for detailing but for larger areas, I have a auto detailing airgun which requires the tape to get a clean line.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM
BobH

The good news about using the round foam, self adhesive tape is.. you can use your larger touch up gun to do the camo or separation lines. Normally touching with an airbrush after wards isn't necessary.

For sure there are other methods but this one works well.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM
raptureboy

Try angling your airbrush towards the darker color so that you are mostly overspraying onto it.I have a 2 stage badger that allows you to just barely allow the paint to come out.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM
glazier808

ORIGINAL: BobH

The good news about using the round foam, self adhesive tape is.. you can use your larger touch up gun to do the camo or separation lines. Normally touching with an airbrush after wards isn't necessary.

For sure there are other methods but this one works well.
+1, this method works well!

Casey
Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Falcon 64

Weathering or a diffuse line from one color the the next, that to me is two very different things.
First word repeatet, you can`t do that with an airbrush, weathering. On your model it would be everything from scraping several layers with a scapell to get down to the intended color behind all the others, at the other end to make normal wear & tear as real as it could be on a surface, dirt and so on..
A variety of tecniques is discovered the latest years, and as very often, the simplest may be the best.
It depents what your goal is, which tecnique to use.
I use several of those in things I make, but the common thing is without tools.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:47 AM
p51tom

I have been using Hobbypoxy paints over the past 40 years and have just stated using latex paint. I had no problems getting fine lines and weathering with the Hobbypoxy but I 'mhaving problems with the latex. I ordered a top feed airbrush and hope this will stop the splatter and running problems. I'll try to show some of my models to get an opinion on my weathering. Some of my friends say my planes look like they should be in a junkyard.
P51Tom

Name:	Gd93670.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1888530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19766.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	1888531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73981.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1888532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62987.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1888533  
Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 PM
LA7flier

ORIGINAL: p51tom

I have been using Hobbypoxy paints over the past 40 years and have just stated using latex paint. I had no problems getting fine lines and weathering with the Hobbypoxy but I 'mhaving problems with the latex. I ordered a top feed airbrush and hope this will stop the splatter and running problems. I'll try to show some of my models to get an opinion on my weathering. Some of my friends say my planes look like they should be in a junkyard.
P51Tom
Latex is mixed with water and that is the problem causing the runs, ect...I mix with rubbing alcohol ( which evaporates much faster leaving the paint to dry more quickly) and Floetrol which " smooths" the latex paint..works much better than water

Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Ramstein44

Prior to latex, I used Warbird Colors paints which were similar to latex IMO. I learned that having a heat gun close with both would assist in the runs and drying faster! Like within seconds!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.