Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Help with a Warped Speed Brake

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Help with a Warped Speed Brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Razorback Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Warped Speed Brake

Hi Guys. Started on my SBD Dauntless, and the Speed Brake Flaps are Warped. Ther just covered on the one side as they should be. Doing the heat gun and holding in position is working. Just gonna make it worse because of the covering just on one side. Can I spray the wood side with a spray bottle with water and weight it down till it dries good? Will that help or make it worse? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics to help see the warp. I can straighten them my hand very easily..Thanks, Terry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35486.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1893657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91484.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1893658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13369.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1893659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64229.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1893660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66201.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1893661  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with a Warped Speed Brake

I had the same problem on mine , used amoinia / water spray and plenty of heat all in vain.(even removed the covering)... I ended up putting a Carbon Fiber 1/8 x 1/4 trailing edge on all of the dive brakes & recovering them . it did correct the warp somewhat but Not all together .
Semper Fi
Joe

Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Razorback Flyer

Thx unclejoe, I dont like hearing that but I gues I may have to do it. Gonna try the water ammonia trick first. The center Flap isnt warped. The manual says do not use any of the flaps for landing It is forbidden. LOL! I wont use the speed brakes of the flaps on the end but Im sure gonna use the center. How does yours land, and do you use the center flap?
ORIGINAL: uncljoe

I had the same problem on mine , used amoinia / water spray and plenty of heat all in vain.(even removed the covering)... I ended up putting a Carbon Fiber 1/8 x 1/4 trailing edge on all of the dive brakes & recovering them . it did correct the warp somewhat but Not all together .
Semper Fi
Joe

Old 06-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Razorback Flyer

Ok, Gonna try this but I have a couple other questions. If you look at the pictures, you can see I havent cut out all 48 holes on the speed brakes yet, and they are already painted red from the factory. Is either one of these gonna hinder the attempt? Should I go ahead and cut all the hole out first?