Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing FW190 and Spitfire kits.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need help choosing FW190 and Spitfire kits.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 01:31 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need help choosing FW190 and Spitfire kits.

Pardon my naivety on this subject, but having mostly flown .60 size sport scale warbirds (mustang, bearcat), I would be interested to hear opinions as to what advantages a ¼ scale Spitfire (or FW190 for that matter) might have versus 1/6th or 1/5th scale one in terms of flying characteristics or any other respect?
Thanks,
Val
Thats pretty easy one to answer Val but im not a math genious so i cant give you the real numbers but the theory.

When you increase in scale on your model so does everything else. That means your wing area increases and so does the wingloading capability. so as you increase in scale the weight your plane can be increases exponentially.

example (remember i dont know exact figures)

you have a 60 sized plane weighing 10 lbs and increase it to 1/6th scale your plane could in essence weight 4 times what your 60 size weighs and fly just like it you go up to 1/4 scale and it could weigh 16 times as much

So since as you see your plane can be heavier thus fly just as nice as your 60 size. the reality is that normally you wont get anywhere near the actual weight limit your wing can handle thus your plane will fly better than the 60 size. Also due to the size and weight of the larger plane, a 25 mph wind will throw it all over the place, but the same wind a 1/6 th scale plane with its size and weight will cut right through it.

If you have a scale warbird at 60 size and then detail it out ie cockpit, stores under the wings, sheet, glass, rivets etc that plane wont fly worth a crap as it is so small any miniscule amount of weight decreases its performance expotentially but you do the same thing to a 1/6th scale warbird and it normally wont affect the plane at all.

That is why everyone is always saying bigger is better. and that this is a bunch of made up numbers but it is using the proper theory of how and why

Joe
Old 09-28-2003, 03:18 PM
wja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that explanation Joe, it really put in perspective what I suspected would be the answer. That is the reason that with these planes I want to build and dress up with all the scale features, I have decided to go with the larger scale. Now the problem is to decide how large to go as I have heard great recommendations for Reeves 1/6th and 1/4th Spits and for Taylor’s and Yellow’s 1/5th ones. As far as FW is concerned I heard great things about 1/5th scale Holman and IMP kits and Vailley 92” one. I must admit that at this point the 1/5th scale seems like a good compromise. Speaking of which few people emailed me stating the IMP’s 1/5th scale FW109D9 is another kit I should consider. I noticed that in 2/1999 Model Airplane News magazine they reviewed it and stated that it builds into a very scale plane and a great flyer but that kit they received suffered from some quality issues which were suppose to have been resolved in newer versions of the kit. I’m wandering whether anyone has had any experienced with that kit and whether indeed quality has improved?
Thanks as always.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:31 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well let me give ya one more nudge to help decide. The Mick Reeves 1/4 scale spit the wings are in 2 halves and the tail feathers are removeable. I have a mercury mystique which is a med size car but at the smaller end of the med spectrum and I can easily fit the 1/4 scale in my car through the trunk by dropping down the rear seats. the entire plane I bet wont weigh 25 lbs when done so that means can do lots of scale goodies. I will be running a ZDZ80 in mine and that will be more than enough power actually be overpowered but I plan on running gear reduction and flying with a scale prop. if it is a decision between the 1/6th and 1/4 go with the 1/4 as you wont have a storage problem and can still run a g62 which should scream it around the skies. it also makes it easier to detail. I am sure the 1/6th scale builds the same way so will store the same way. when you talking difference between 1/6th scale and 1/4 scale with this particular construction method, you arent really gaining anything by going 1/6th over 1/4 it would be different if the tail didnt remove or was something like a hurricane or p-47 where they have big fat bodies. the spit is sleek and slender so it will transport the same either size in a med sized car that has rear seats that drop down or in a van.

Joe
Old 09-28-2003, 05:14 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As this discussion continues, make sure that you let us know your decision.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:57 PM
john sands
My Feedback: (5)

I have a fw 190 D IMP kit I have over $1400 in it. I bought the original kit in 1990. I have added to it for a few years I decided to build it last year and found the fus was terrible I bought a new fuse from Greg Niemi that is white gel coat. all together with the retrackable tail wheel, adjustable troutle control scale three bladed spinner and blades and flying spiner and every conceivable extra that he sold. i would consider selling it if offered a good price. Comes with three cowls, three canopies and extras.... ..It has a complete retract system and all all details ( bublel s gun cowels.
John Sands
Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
john sands
My Feedback: (5)

I have a complete innovative model F190D kit Retracts -tail wheel and mains hydro locks-scale spinner display spinner and props In flight throttle control a brand new this year gel coat fuse -more if interested call John ands 7325365407
Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Brian Taylor kits are not all that easy to build. 'fact they will take you a month or more to complete. Brian used to specify Unitracts by Tony for they were handy to him. For those of us in N.A. they take a little time to receive, and cost more than other brands. Tony has a web site to which you can visit, but Brian does not, for he essentially retired last year. Plans and wood parts are availbe today, but the fiberglass parts are getting fewer. Some one in Scandanavia is picking up that end now.

The Spitfires had numerous prototypes created before going to print. They are difficult to create, for the Spitfire had an unusual trailing edge near the cockpit. Unless you walk up to a real one, it is not noticed in photos, nor many models. This is one thing which makes for more difficulty when building. If you visit the RCSCALEBUILDER web site there are numeorus "Build Along" articles shown there. There have been quite a few models made off the plans now over past few decades. Only real thing to change has been the cost of wood, plans copying, and the specified radio gear is now cheaper and lighter. Go through the archives at RCSCALEBUILDER first, for now most are old, as the A/C has been around a few years.

If you want something that resembles a Spitfire or F-W buy a different kit and be flying by the weekend.

Wm.