Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM 109E 73" gas engine question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 109E 73" gas engine question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Ruffinit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM 109E 73" gas engine question

I figured I would throw this out there to get first hand info from the folks who know.

It is my understanding that the ESM 109 was meant for a glow engine which would have a front carb. This would allow the prop hub to line up with the cowling which is 148 mm from the bulkhead. I would like to install a gas motor in lieu of a nitro or four-stroke and here is my dilemma. Typically the gas engines are rear carb which will tend to push the prop hub out past the front of the cowling. The amount of the motor protruding too far farward will vary depending on the motor, almost a 1/2" for the DLE 35.

For those of you that installed a gas motor in the 109, did you cut out the bulkhead to fit the carb so that the motor can be mounted further backin order to line up with the cowling? The bulkhead for the 109 is about 4.375" in diameter, the hole in the bulkhead would be close to 1.5" in diameter to fit the carb, thereby leaving slightly less than 1.5" around hole for the bulkhead. Is this enough of the bulkhead to remain? I do understand that the bulkhead would have to be reinforced.

What have you guys installed?

The motors I'm considering are the roto 35, DLE 30 and the DLE 35

Thanks,
Richie
Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
alanc

i used an mvvs 160, with a prop extender, fitted with a pitts style muffler, all enclosed, apart from the head, one of our old customers fitted a zenoah 23, this had the box muffler on the side, with cowl cut to fit (big hole), painted yellow, it was not noticable in flight, the protoype, was fitted with an rcv 91cd, that was ample power, i consider the 30-35 cc motors to be a tad OTT nfor this model,
Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 AM
Ruffinit

Thanks alanc. I was hoping someone from the kmp 109E build thread would chime in.

Its just that the roto 35 is such a beautiful and well built engine and I have the opportunity to pick one up used. The TBM website has the roto engine recommended for this plane as well as the DLE 30 and the Pterodactyl 36. I was under the impression that a lot of modelers had put Saito 180's in the plane which would be equivalent to a 30cc motor. Since I need the weight up front....go with a big motor....of course within reason.

I always would want to hear from the people sell the planes, but I also want to hear from the people who actually built and fly the planes.

Thanks again,
richie
Old 12-29-2014, 07:34 PM
tom.mcginnes

I know this is an older thread but I have a question. I put a o.s. GF40 on this plane, which fits, but I'm having a spinner issue. I got a 3 blade spinner from TBM and a beila 18x10 scale prop and it's too thick. It won't fit in the spinner. Any prop recommendations? Or ideas?
Old 12-30-2014, 03:51 AM
alanc

I flew mine on a graupner grey, i used the standard 3 blade spinner from the factory,
Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM
STUKA BARRY

Originally Posted by tom.mcginnes
I know this is an older thread but I have a question. I put a o.s. GF40 on this plane, which fits, but I'm having a spinner issue. I got a 3 blade spinner from TBM and a beila 18x10 scale prop and it's too thick. It won't fit in the spinner. Any prop recommendations? Or ideas?
Take a dremel and widen the prop openings to fit the prop.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 PM
alanc

Dont think thats the problem, i think its the actual spinner depth thats fowling the prop hub