Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM ME109E - Thought I got a great deal....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM ME109E - Thought I got a great deal....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Ruffinit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM ME109E - Thought I got a great deal....

I picked up a new in-the-box a ESM BF109 at the Perry swap meet last year. All the parts were wrapped in foam and then sealed in plastic bags and then wrapped again with bubble wrap outside of the sealed bag. It looked like it had just been shipped from the distributor. I went through the box and did a check on the parts to see if everything was there and in good condition. I checked the best I could without unwrapping the bubble wrap because I new I would probably not get it back into the box. I saw the bags were still sealed and did a parts count and basically checked for impact damage. I paid less than half price for the plane and thought I had gotten a great deal on a plane that I always wanted. Nobody at my field flies the 109.

I would not be building this plane for a while so it sat in my basement for about 10 months. About a month ago, I was ready to start the build and with Perry not too far away, I would try and pick up some of the miscellaneous items that I would need such as servo extensions which are dirt cheap at Perry.

I unpacked the plane and as I got to the wings, I noticed the bag was cut at the flaps, but the bag ends were still sealed. This was strange. I moved the foam covering the wing and saw the flap was missing. The aileron was there but no flap. I rechecked the box and found no flap. I checked the wind bag for a loose flap and found nothing. I unwrapped the other wing and the bag was cut again at the flap. That bag was also sealed. I pushed away the foam inside the bag and again found no flap but the aileron was there. I rechecked the box again and checked the inside of the wing bag but found no flap. When I had originally checked the wings at Perry, I never noticed the missing flaps. I checked for wings for impact damage and saw the bags ends still sealed. It never occurred to me that somebody would remove the flaps. I double checked the remaining parts and found nothing missing with all of the parts in perfect condition. All of the bags were still sealed. I had walked out of Perry thinking a got a great deal on this plane but now the deal is somewhat less than great. I still love the plane and although I now have to fabricate new flaps, which will probably not perfectly match the existing paint finish, I am still excited to build it.

The option of purchasing new wings just to get a complete set is simply too much money. About $160 for wings plus shipping and I was told shipping would be no more than $75 dollars. They would not tell me an exact shipping cost until the actual shipping box was made.

I already picked up a 30 DLE engine. I'm hoping to find a pitts muffler at Perry this year. I plan on using the e-flite 109 electric retracts. My friend talked me into the electric over the pneumatic retracts. I'm going with Tactic TSX-47 digital MG servos all around. The servos have strong torque ratings and the prices are really good. I am planning to put a gyro on the rudder for take off and landings. Hoping to pick up a gyro at Perry as well.

My great deal on a plane kind of turned into a good deal on a plane. Although first upset that I had not spotted this, I'm ok with it and still love the pane. I already started making new flaps and are enjoying the process. I'll post some pics as I put the plane together and reach out to you guys when I got questions.

I would have most likely still purchased the plane, but would have used the missing flaps as leverage for a cheaper price.

Richie

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2076795   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2076796  
Old 02-27-2015, 01:28 AM
Scott Douglas

Might be worth contacting some dealers/importers, see if they have a butchered for spares kit lying around?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Ruffinit

Scott: I did call the closest dealer to see if they had spare parts or damaged wings they could not normally sell. No luck. Only way to buy new parts is via new complete wing sets. I'm already done with one flap and working on the next one.

Richie
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a typical problem - it extends to many full size consumer items. (Need a small part, gotta buy a higher assembly for a lot of money!
(Cracked hand/arm rest on a car or truck, no problem, we'll sell you the entire panel for big bucks!)