Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Alu look on Warbirds!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Alu look on Warbirds!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:24 AM
Salte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alu look on Warbirds!

Hello,

What produkts are the best for painting a warbird to look like alu? It would be Nice with some inputs on what colors,clearcoat and metodes that is the best

Brg Geir
Old 08-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.alsacorp.com/
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Metalmorph is actual metal plating so its real metal and the finish can be further enhanced. Theres nothing more realistic but its very expensive.
Ive mixed laquer paint before with good effect when its heavily loaded aluminum powder and wet sanded.
There is also a PPG aluminum paint I just used on a YA P-38 and the metal look is nice out of the can. I painted and cleared, sanded then shot base again over that. I used steel wool on panels and then Im adding graphics and final clear coat. Pretty durable.

The cheapest but good looking spray can Ive used is from Tamiya, aluminum laquer spray can.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by Hemikiller
Thank you for the link but i am looking for alu Paint and not chrome

Geir
Old 08-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Metalmorph is actual metal plating so its real metal and the finish can be further enhanced. Theres nothing more realistic but its very expensive.
Ive mixed laquer paint before with good effect when its heavily loaded aluminum powder and wet sanded.
There is also a PPG aluminum paint I just used on a YA P-38 and the metal look is nice out of the can. I painted and cleared, sanded then shot base again over that. I used steel wool on panels and then Im adding graphics and final clear coat. Pretty durable.

The cheapest but good looking spray can Ive used is from Tamiya, aluminum laquer spray can.
Thank you for the reply is the Metalmorph some kind of Paint/Liquid sprayed on the surface? i plan on ordering the PPG Liquid metal for some testing.Did you use a flat or glossy clearcoat on Your P-38?

Geir
Old 08-06-2015, 06:13 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Salte
Thank you for the link but i am looking for alu Paint and not chrome

Geir
Its not chrome if you do it right..

this one was painted with that material, doesnt look like chrome to me.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=997437
Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Salte

Originally Posted by invertmast
Its not chrome if you do it right..

this one was painted with that material, doesnt look like chrome to me.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=997437
You are right but it was not easy to see from the fotos if its the finish i am looking for!

Geir
Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Salte

Can anyone tell me abaut the prosess of Metalmorph? i Google it but not mutch to find!

Geir
Old 08-06-2015, 10:56 PM
dgiatr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of the chrome colours looks ok BEFORE putting some varnish over them. The problem is that after spraying some varnish chrome tends to lose its shinny appearence and gets a more "black" appearence looking like ALUMINIUM cause chrome reacts with the varnish. You should find a very neutral varnish to avoid that effect but on the other hand you will not have the desired protection for rc model plane you want against scratches , e.t.c. Of course there are some very expensive chrome colours that will do the job...
Old 08-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by dgiatr
most of the chrome colours looks ok BEFORE putting some varnish over them. The problem is that after spraying some varnish chrome tends to lose its shinny appearence and gets a more "black" appearence looking like ALUMINIUM cause chrome reacts with the varnish. You should find a very neutral varnish to avoid that effect but on the other hand you will not have the desired protection for rc model plane you want against scratches , e.t.c. Of course there are some very expensive chrome colours that will do the job...
I experience the same With Lesonal Platinum! it looks super after spraying the alu base and then the Magic disapears after Clear coat! on my Gee Bee R3 i use without clearcoat,it looks wery Nice but not a strong surface!

Geir
Old 08-08-2015, 07:54 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is ppg liquid metal over gloss black. I wanted a matte appearance, I guess you can make it shiny by altering the black and laying on the liquid metal thicker. My buddy painted this, it looks amazing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5688.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	2113219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5833.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2113220  
Old 08-08-2015, 09:48 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Salte
Can anyone tell me abaut the prosess of Metalmorph? i Google it but not mutch to find!

Geir
The process is done by one shop in the USA. IT's not something that you can do yourself from what I understand.
In order to have it done you would need to send your plane to them and have them apply it.

ALSA paint or flite metal gives the best Alu finish in my opinion. Maybe the Stuff that Bob Violette sells too is very good.. Its very pricey i know that much.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:50 AM
77chickenhawk

I used AlsaCorp. metal paint for my zero. The paint has 95% reflectivity, the only thing closer than that would be a mirror or a actual chrome bumper :-)

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	2113243   Click image for larger version

Views:	55
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	2113244   Click image for larger version

Views:	61
Size:	961.7 KB
ID:	2113245  

Last edited by 77chickenhawk; 08-08-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The P-38 I painted was done with a PPG product that was a medium aluminum paint which is very convincing. I painted it in the regular manner first then went back over with just base aluminum and then used 0000 steel-wool to scuff in directions per panel. Its not final cleared yet as Im trying to find the right graphics or making them.
If your interested in this I can send you the paint info. Roughly $170 in supplies.

Metalmorph is a process by which they deposit actual metal on to the surface of an object. They use a specific base primer and then a deposition process. Afterwards the finish is real metal and will behave as such with age and oxidation. They can use almost any typical metal so you can have panels in steel and aluminum or titanium all on one model.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 08-08-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:48 AM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest a trip to the hardware store and buy some aluminum and or silver spray paint and do some testing. Here is my Yellow P-47 painted with Krylon Metallic Silver. After painting I masked off panels one at a time and polished them in different directions with 0000 steel wool. In the sunlight each panel has slight difference in tone. A nice affect. True this paint is not super durable but is easily touched up. Also cost is low.

Good luck!

John

Views:	72
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	2113438  
Old 08-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by DrScoles
This is ppg liquid metal over gloss black. I wanted a matte appearance, I guess you can make it shiny by altering the black and laying on the liquid metal thicker. My buddy painted this, it looks amazing.
Wery Nice DrScoles Its the same carf P51 With Kolm IL150 and the same colorsheme i want to make the alu effect on I just order the Liquid Metal from PPG and planning on spraying some samples With difrent ground colors,matt Clear and glossy Clear and see if i am happy With the result!

Geir
Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by BobH
The process is done by one shop in the USA. IT's not something that you can do yourself from what I understand.
In order to have it done you would need to send your plane to them and have them apply it.

ALSA paint or flite metal gives the best Alu finish in my opinion. Maybe the Stuff that Bob Violette sells too is very good.. Its very pricey i know that much.
Thanks for the info BobH I will look at the bob Violette system!

Geir
Old 08-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by 77chickenhawk
I used AlsaCorp. metal paint for my zero. The paint has 95% reflectivity, the only thing closer than that would be a mirror or a actual chrome bumper :-)
Wery Nice 77chickenhawk I want to order the RegularGhost Chrome from AlsaCorp and make some samples!

Geir

Old 08-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
The P-38 I painted was done with a PPG product that was a medium aluminum paint which is very convincing. I painted it in the regular manner first then went back over with just base aluminum and then used 0000 steel-wool to scuff in directions per panel. Its not final cleared yet as Im trying to find the right graphics or making them.
If your interested in this I can send you the paint info. Roughly $170 in supplies.

Metalmorph is a process by which they deposit actual metal on to the surface of an object. They use a specific base primer and then a deposition process. Afterwards the finish is real metal and will behave as such with age and oxidation. They can use almost any typical metal so you can have panels in steel and aluminum or titanium all on one model.
The Paint info would be wery Nice Chris The Metalmorph sounds great! what is the normal use of Metalmorph? and do you have som info/webadress of Companys that do this?

Geir

Last edited by Salte; 08-09-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Salte

Originally Posted by John Baligrodzki
I suggest a trip to the hardware store and buy some aluminum and or silver spray paint and do some testing. Here is my Yellow P-47 painted with Krylon Metallic Silver. After painting I masked off panels one at a time and polished them in different directions with 0000 steel wool. In the sunlight each panel has slight difference in tone. A nice affect. True this paint is not super durable but is easily touched up. Also cost is low.

Good luck!

John
Thank you for the info John The P47 looks wery Nice!

Geir