Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

My Sterling F-51 Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

My Sterling F-51 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 AM
Hortco

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Sterling F-51 Mustang

This is my Sterling Models F-51 Mustang.
Here's the story.
Way back in 1991 I was just getting into RC flying. My cousin had found a plane in the attic of a rental house and ask if I wanted it. I said heck yes!
When he brought it over I was very excited to see that it was a 60-size Mustang- every beginner's dream plane! It didn't have a motor or electronics.
It was Red, White and Blue but not in the Miss America style.
Being new to RC I didn't know much about setting up a plane and didn't have the money for another radio and motor so it ended up in storage until last winter.
I dug it out and decided to overhaul it. I removed the covering and began some modifications to modernize it.
These old Sterling Mustangs had a very short nose which just didn't look right so I lengthened it 2 inches. It had a removable tail section and removable hatch on top of the fuse for servo access which were held in place with rubber bands.
I permanently glued both of them in place. I converted the wing from rubber band to nylon bolt mount. The landing gear were too close together and were right under the balance point so I widened the stance to where they should be and bent the wire toward so that wheels were slightly ahead of the leading edge of the wing. I did lots of reshaping because whoever built it did a half a**ed job. The stabilizer was very long and looked funny so I shortened it just a little. I also added the wing-to-body fairing.
The plane weighs six pounds. The wingspan is 66 inches.
Over the winter I installed the servos. I had an Evolution .61nx engine with low run time just sitting in a box so I put it on.
I have had this plane 25 years and have always imagined flying it. Now I am waiting for this crazy cold windy spring Indiana weather to clear up so I can finally do a test flight.
This plane is somewhat rare as I have only found one picture of a completed one on the internet.
That's my story.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	1410
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2156352   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2156353  

Last edited by Hortco; 04-08-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:09 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking plane. good luck with the maiden.

Brian
Old 04-08-2016, 10:39 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have reduced the horizontal span you have reduced the area. That may introduce an instability depending on how much was lost. You'll know on the first flight. You can offset this by moving the CG forward. How much would be a guess. Try 1/4 inch. Dan.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:12 AM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it flies. I had a Midwest Mustang way back that was very unstable. Hope this flies much better. If you are not a really good pilot, you may want to have someone who is try it out and trim

best of luck

bob
Old 04-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice plane! Its always nice to see an old timer be rescued from the scrap heap and especially my compliments to you for making the effort to get it in the air.

I think the horizontal stab area will be OK as those old kits had very oversized surfaces. As Dan suggested though, be on guard for anything unusual on the first flight.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Hortco

The Sterling F-51 Mustang dates back to 1963 and was considered a scale model and was used in competition at the 1963 British Nationals.
These are pictures from that event.
These are the only pictures that I have found of a completed Sterling Mustang.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	2156948   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-6.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2156949  
Old 04-12-2016, 03:29 PM
BelAirBob

Looks pretty darn good
Old 04-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Hortco

Thank you belairbob! Are you familiar with the Sterling Mustang?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:10 PM
BelAirBob

No, but I built a lot of the Sterling models. I miss them too. I was just paging through a Model Airplane News from the 80's trying to find a mystery sailplane on another forum. Sterling had some nice planes
Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I had one of these in 1973. It ended in the most spectacular crash I've ever had. Straight down from several hundred feet high....literally exploded on impact. I had to dig the engine out of the ground.