Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Century Jets ripped me off......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Century Jets ripped me off......

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:01 PM
dubs1946

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have not seen a fly until you come across an Australian "March Fly" they are big angry and hungry, to the point i have used them on fish hooks, bad dudes. the good thing is you can hear them coming they sound like a buzz saw so you can duck but sometimes you dont know until they bite then you do.lol.
I bought a set second hand not knowing anything about CMJ. Naturally they were terrible and i had to send them to our guy here in Australia to get them to work properly. I have them sitting in a large Sea Fury that has yet to be flown.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Propworn,
Not a bad idea...but what ever puts a fire under his tail feathers works for me.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Dubs1946,
Its sad...for there are not many really good landing gear folks building model retracts. Some of Robarts stuff is good...but their 95/100 deg. rotating gear suck. I have other gear from them and love their struts, wheels and mechanical retracts (I have no experience with their pneumatics). I have three sets of Lado electric retracts...very good solid units. One set is going on seven years and still works. E-fligh as been improving their gear for a couple of years now and Horizons warrantee is really good. I purchased for my Skyraider a set from Robert and returned them to Robert. I just read up on the rotating gear I purchased...and found out the rotation gears from Robert need a real fix to work properly. This is from all the reports I have read here on RCU. Modelers I respect told me to return them and I did. I took a restock hit...but they did return 85% of my money. All the latests reports I have read said that E-flights 60 to 120 rotating gear is flyable-improved and 1/2 the price, Bruce received for my retracts (may the flies of 1000 blood sucking "March Flies" [thank you Australia] infest your most delicate private parts). I have received the E-flights to put into my ESM Skyraider and I picked up E-flights struts too. I install electric retracts for my .60 to .90 size warbirds and I have Lado's in all of them. I wish Sierra Giant Scale retracts made more varieties of landing gear. Sierra are pneumatic and with out a doubt....the best landing gear on the market, electric, mechanical or pneumatic. Very well built, all metal and are rugged. I love his gear, and I have them in my P-38...the best fit and scale. I flew Sierra gear in my ESM F6F until I landing in tall grass, short on approach. The model was a total and I ripped my landing gear clean out of my Hellcat. One still worked perfect...the other one was needing repair. I sent them to Darrall at Sierra and he fixed them and sent them back to me. I sold the gear and ordered P-38 gear from him and I received my gear from Darrall with in several weeks. Beautiful gear....

Soft Landings always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 06-03-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:03 PM
Bob Paris

Aloha Gentleman,
I received a call from the company that sold me the kit and ordered my retracts from Bruce at Century Jets. I told her I didn't hold her responsible for the loss...for I didn't contact her during the 14 months I was working with Century Jets. I did contact her two months ago...and that was an after thought on my part. She thought I was receiving American made, Century Jet retracts from Bruce. She could have sold me the same ESM junk Chinese made retracts for the ESM Skyriader for less then $150.00 just like the retracts Bruce from Century Jets sent me for the first gear sent me. The owner of the company that sold me the model is a small business company, family run. She is not like Bruce and was polite and very respectful o the phone and talk to me for better then 45 minutes. It is not her fault Bruce dishonored the agreement and there was no way I was going to request any funds. She seems like a straight up, dealing company and I would do business with her again.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob Paris, sorry about your problem, I have had a few like that..

but I have to ask,, how are the Eflights 60/120 holding up for you ??

thanks !!

Jim
Old 07-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeppelin1275
Been sitting on the fence on this one for a while, I have to ask, Is there any photos of the product in question that back up your description ? I would be interested to see what is so bad about a set of retracts that can cause so much fuss ! ?
Regards
Ben

Seriously?????

You're 'on the fence' and want the victim to prove what dozens have been saying for years and years..... Ok! Don't be 'on the fence', just go buy some CJM gear and have your OWN experience. FEJ mentality at its best....
Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Shaun Evans

Bob,

I used to be the manager of what was, at the time, the largest LHS in Southern California. We ordered many CJM products for customers, and CJM was the ONLY manufacturer whose product we returned more often than not. Their rotating gear (for the TF 60-size P-40) wouldn't hold air. The customer was livid after returning the gear twice and the problem not going away. Same with their P-51 gear. For myself, I ordered their 1/5 P-51 with gear. I opened the box, examined the kit and gear... then promptly sent them back. The struts would not compress with even the slightest side-load. The kit was embarrassingly awful.

Same story with their F-104 and Sport Hawk. When I called to explain why we were returning the P-51, Bruce tried to get me to sign up for Amway or some other pyramid deal. Why people still send these guys their money with all these public comments is beyond me.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A good read.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of rotating retracts I bought for my son's TF P-40. the plane was built flown for ~ 10 years and sold with the gear never being installed. they sit on my shelf. sent back twice, both times for an air leak. both times they held them for 4 to 6 months. both times they still did not hold air.

I need a motor test bead so I pulled a old giant scale planes p-40 out of the attic but it needs gear. took the cylinder apart and its clear where the problem is, but it means buying the part from them. just cant pull the trigger.

Joe
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Does anyone have good feedback about CJM products?
i would expect someone to be buying them, or they would be out of business, right???

tony
Old 07-10-2017, 07:41 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
Does anyone have good feedback about CJM products?
i would expect someone to be buying them, or they would be out of business, right???

tony
That's a really good question! I have often wondered that myself. The stuff doesn't seem to be very good, and you don't see too many of their kits out there....maybe the business is his hobby?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Ju388

Originally Posted by Propworn
Usually it is one billing cycle. That is why mail order like Hobby King asks you to wait so long before you file a charge back with your credit card company.

Dennis
So HK requests you wait to do a charge back knowing that there is a one billing cycle limit.
Nice, I do not understand why that company is doing so well here in the U.S.
Yeah and love the lack of access to customer service. This Century Jets have heard this name along time. It's a shame we have to deal with this type in our hobby. The upside is there is information exchanges like this to make us all aware. For this I am thankful.
The other bright side is for every douche bag in this hobby there are many many large and small vendors doing great things.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Ju388,
There are two companies I know that sell good pneumatic landing gear, and two electrical landing gear. I have used "LADO" electrical landing gear for years with excellent results. One model is over seven years old now and the original gear still does the job. The customer service from "Lado" is excellent, very reasonably priced and the only down side is the are now built up in France. These "Lado's" were the first built electrical servo less retracts ever produced and were sold to a French company several years ago. The good folks at "Lado" are easy to work with and true gentlemen. The return postage was 1/2 the postage getting the to France, but because of their great customer service and how well machined the gear is, to me, well worth it.

I have used E-Flights electrical with good results...and Horizon Hobbies customer service is very good. Also...E-Flight has done wonders in upgrading their retracts, and I use their 60 to 1.20's rotating gear in a ESM Skyraider.

If you want the best pneumatic landing gear made...buy Sierra Giant Scale gear. They are very well built...ie: robust, work well for years and are a work of art. I have several of his gear...and you have to see them to believe just how good retracts can be.

Stay away from Century Jets electrical gear...all you will do is lose money and get rejected Chinese junk for your money.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 08-17-2017 at 04:54 AM.