Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Skyshark Dauntless Electric Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Skyshark Dauntless Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 AM
smitty4980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyshark Dauntless Electric Conversion

I'm just getting started on a Skyshark Dauntless dive bomber. I'm planning on making it electric if it is possible with a reasonable amount of effort. If anyone has done this or has recommendations on the best way to go about making the battery hatch I would be grateful for your assistance / suggestions. I also would want to make a dummy radial engine to go in the cowl ahead of the motor to give it a scale appearance.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:15 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty I think we need to see the plans or the build process started to help .
I have converted many traditional birds over to epower and its usually super easy especially during the framing process.
The key elements I look for
1) battery size ---?? 6 cell and can it fit in an obvious space like the fuel tank
2) what former can be moved ?
3) what is the best place for access that does not impact scale
4) do I have room to move the battery for CG without adding weight ( forward and aft )
5) can I easily add battery straps to the area
6) how did the plane balance with a glow engine , what was the weight if the glow and was weight needed for CG? All of these facts then determine my motor size ( 60 , 90 , 110 ) my battery size , my prop or scale prop ect
I assembled the VQ ARF version almost the same size as the skyshark , went with a 60 size motor, 6 cell 4500 pack , no weight needed at all
Old 07-22-2017, 08:15 AM
smitty4980

chistech in this forum documented his build with an awesome sequence of pictures. He really went all out with the extra attention to detail, in particular the rear gunner position. He built it for a gas engine but it shows the fuselage construction quite clearly. I have also posted on that thread but haven't heard anything back yet.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...ess-build.html
Old 07-23-2017, 01:22 PM
smitty4980

Originally Posted by LDM
Smitty I think we need to see the plans or the build process started to help .
I have converted many traditional birds over to epower and its usually super easy especially during the framing process.
The key elements I look for
1) battery size ---?? 6 cell and can it fit in an obvious space like the fuel tank
2) what former can be moved ?
3) what is the best place for access that does not impact scale
4) do I have room to move the battery for CG without adding weight ( forward and aft )
5) can I easily add battery straps to the area
6) how did the plane balance with a glow engine , what was the weight if the glow and was weight needed for CG? All of these facts then determine my motor size ( 60 , 90 , 110 ) my battery size , my prop or scale prop ect
I assembled the VQ ARF version almost the same size as the skyshark , went with a 60 size motor, 6 cell 4500 pack , no weight needed at all
I appreciate your reply LDM. The info for electric conversion with the instructions calls for a brushless outrunner 400-600Kv E-flite Power 52. ESC OS70, Cobra 80 or E-flite 80. Battery 5 cell 3300-5200, and rare earth magnets for battery hatch. It says Electric Options: Electric conversion on a kit this size is very easy and straight forward. You will simply need to plan for a battery hatch in order to save having to remove the wing for battery changes.

Regular engine size it calls for is .45 to .61.

It seems like the logical thing would be a removable cockpit. The fuel tank is forward of it so the battery will be also. I'm just not sure about what I can alter without weakening the fuselage.