Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 scale P-51 fiberglass cowl

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 scale P-51 fiberglass cowl

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 03:18 PM
coops09gxp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF 1/5 scale P-51 fiberglass cowl

Hello all, it's been a long time since I've been online here. I was wondering if anyone is still making a fiberglass cowl for the Top Flite 1/5 scale P-51? This is the Gold Edition kit version if that makes any difference. I remember a number of years back Tony Howard was planning/making them but that avenue has since disappeared. I don't know if the Ziroli fiberglass cowl would fit or not, anyone with experience there please feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide and have a great day!

Tony
Old 06-23-2020, 04:48 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Fiberglass specialties should have it
also a guy in rcgroups and flying giants has a very nice one.. pricey though https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...25#post2957585

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 06-23-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:49 PM
coops09gxp

Thank you for the reply and the info. I will check into Fiberglass Specialties and see what they have. Again, thank you!

Tony
Old 07-24-2020, 01:32 PM
adjc1c2

Default P-51 Cowl

Look up Leo Spycalla, I am finishing up the same plane. Got his name from Chad Vecht. Cowl is great.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:25 AM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, for the kit version Cary joy on flying giants has a cowl that looks great and requires a 5” spinner I believe. It requires some modifications for it to work on the kit. My buddy (wyoturbine) and I looked at all the options and after communicating with Cary found his cowl would be too much moding For US on the ARF. Not sayin it can’t be done. I think it would be amazing on the kit.

fiberglass specialties makes the cowl for kit and arf. I have the arf cowl and it is nice. Very rigid and looks great. The only issue is that there will be a seem between the fuse and cowling.

Leo Spychalla’s cowl is amazing! Good for kit or arf and uses a 5 1/2” spinner. The bottom chin comes off for maintenance and the top is permanently fixed. There is a great place in the front by the spinner for adding weight as well that gets it way out front so less weight is required to balance. He also makes the turtle deck for b model mustangs which we also purchased.

Sadly, Tony Howard passed years ago and I don’t believe anyone ever picked up his business pacificscaledmodels. I have his exhaust set on my fiberglass specialties cowl and I love them. Since they are no longer available we use jiri Prekins stuff from jpwarbirds. Jiri is in the Czech Republic and is great to work with.

Fiberglass specialties

Last edited by spitfire66; 07-26-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:40 AM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spychalla cowl, wyoturbine’s plane