Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

I am really liking my Topflite F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I am really liking my Topflite F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 07:25 PM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I am really liking my Topflite F4U Corsair

I have grown into the flying profile of the Corsair. Its very different to the other warbirds I own and ave flown. Did have to do some special things in the radio like mix the Elevator with the retracts channel to give a little down trim when I retract the gear, also for landing, mixed some down elevator only when in the final in line with the runway. The Corsair will float forever and with the added down trim when in line with the runway, I can charge the elevator and better control the glide to the runway.

Te G62 is running a lot better even thou it does not show yet (its been broken in already it is not a new engine), the power other flyers attirbute to the G62. I am running the mixture a little on the oil + side at 32 to 1 ratio. It does leave a mess in the Corsairs belly and I believe the pwer felt is not as expected due to the oily mix. I prepared a new badge of gas at 40:1 which should clean the fuselage and develop more RPM's.

I also changed the scheme of the model. Removed the Bayou Baby label and the bunnie rabbit seal in the cowling. It does not look to aggresive to me. I prepared a new scheme honoring Roberto Ramirez de Arellano "Cofresi", a well known Puertorican Corsair. Also used the Municipal seal of Cabo Rojo, the town from were Cofresi was from.

The model is flying great, like I said, the F4U flying habits are very peculiar and I have grown to enjoy it.

Attached photos of the old scheme and the neew one.
New "Corsario Cofresi" Scheme

Old Bayou Baby Scheme

Old Bayou Baby Scheme
Old 01-05-2024, 07:53 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice model. I really like mine.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:08 AM
gonzalobures

Thanks C550, hope you continue to enjoy your Corsair.. Best wishes in 2024
Old 01-06-2024, 08:23 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Puerto Rico Corsair!

I’ve been flying mine for over 12 years! It’s had many engines, DLE 55RA, DLE 61, SAITO FG 84, and now DLE 65! The 65 is the best combination for power and weight but I liked the 55RA for the lightest weight combination. The FG84 is just too heavy for this model and the H9 Corsair is a better combo for that engine because it’s just a little bit bigger.
Anyway, you will enjoy this plane for many years to come. You can explore the full range of its performance in all wind conditions, it’s very stable and predictable.

Saludos from Idaho!

FG84

DLE61

DLE65
Old 01-07-2024, 06:58 AM
gonzalobures

Gracias Nicastro, very good looking F4U, also the Hellcat. Yes I hope gravity permits me to age my Corsair as much as you have yours.Even thou a mature model, it looks new.

Hope you are not freezing yourself over there. Next week we are having a national flying in our Club in Sabana Seca, Toa Baja, Puerto Rico. Many sponsors and pilots from the states are coming. Guess running away from the cold. Hope its an enjoyable event.

Gonzo