Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Help with Top Flite Gold Edition F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Help with Top Flite Gold Edition F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 02:27 PM
dreddbatfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Help with Top Flite Gold Edition F4U Corsair

I know people haven't been on this forum to post answers but I'm hoping to get responses to mine.I have a Top Flite Gold Editio F4U Corsair that crashed and I'm rebuilding the fuselage.So far it's going good but I've run into a bump in the road.I'm at step 19 for the fuselage and I don't have the shaped upper fuse sides to put on.There's not enough of the original fuse sides to make a pattern for them.Ilooked at the plans and I can't tell where those parts are on the plans.These parts have a bow on them and I'm suppose to trace the bow on the lower fuse sides.If anybody can help me figure it out,I'd really appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:11 AM
RC flyer 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreddbatfan
I know people haven't been on this forum to post answers but I'm hoping to get responses to mine.I have a Top Flite Gold Editio F4U Corsair that crashed and I'm rebuilding the fuselage.So far it's going good but I've run into a bump in the road.I'm at step 19 for the fuselage and I don't have the shaped upper fuse sides to put on.There's not enough of the original fuse sides to make a pattern for them.Ilooked at the plans and I can't tell where those parts are on the plans.These parts have a bow on them and I'm suppose to trace the bow on the lower fuse sides.If anybody can help me figure it out,I'd really appreciate it.

I should be able to help. Is that on page 31 of the instruction manual? Take a look at my build in RCScaleBuilder to see the construction techniques for this part of the build. https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum...78&PN=1&TPN=12
This can also help you in other areas as you put you bird back together.

Chris

Old 03-24-2024, 07:21 AM
RC flyer 2

I believe the parts your looking for are the "Turtle Deck Side Sheet Pattern" and the "Forward Deck Sheet Pattern" See below in the upper right side of the plans..

Old 03-24-2024, 08:30 AM
dreddbatfan

Hi RC Flyer 2,The part that I need help with is on page 20 of the manual,step 19.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:50 PM
RC flyer 2

Hi RC Flyer 2,The part that I need help with is on page 20 of the manual,step 19.
Okay, I see that your building the smaller Corsair, the .60 size. The plans above are for the giant scale. The way the fuselage for your corsair is built, you build the topside and then the botton side and combine them. Because your model is already built, I would just use some 3/32"x3" balsa and just reconstruct the areas that were damaged. If you have some pictures of the area, send them along, but I would just reconstruct these areas and sand clean to fix the damaged areas..

Chris
Old 03-24-2024, 12:56 PM
dreddbatfan

There was to much damage to reconstruct so I'm starting from scratch for the fuselage.What I can't figure out is how to get the "bow" in the sheeting for the shaped upper fuse sides.If I could afford to buy another kit I would but being disabled and on a fixed income from social security doesn't permit it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:21 PM
RC flyer 2

There was to much damage to reconstruct so I'm starting from scratch for the fuselage.What I can't figure out is how to get the "bow" in the sheeting for the shaped upper fuse sides.If I could afford to buy another kit I would but being disabled and on a fixed income from social security doesn't permit it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have a set of plans for this model? Reading the instructions, looks like there were precut upper fuse sides. The instruction below was to use this piece to trace the curve (Bow) to the lower fuse sides. Doing this will allow the two parts to match up when the top and bottom are brought together. That being said, creating the bow is just cutting the 3/32" inch material along the solid lines of the upper fuse side and you only need to do it on the bottom side, see the arrow on the plan snipit below.
Hopefully this will help you..

Old 03-24-2024, 06:36 PM
RC flyer 2

Here are some pictures of the fuse that you are working on, maybe they help you?

Old 03-25-2024, 09:16 AM
dreddbatfan

Hi RC Flyer 2,The problem I have is that I don't have the shaped upper fuse side to trace on the lower fuse sheet.There wasn't anything left from the original fuselage to even get a pattern.What I need is someone to print a full size pattern of the upper fuse side that I could trace.I'm disabled and life in a rural area and I don't drive or else I'd go to a fedex/kinkos and have them print it out for me.I'd ask if you could do it but your airplanes already built.If you have any suggestions,I'd appreciate it.I contacted the administrator of the forums to get permission to download pictures to post like you did but I haven't heard from them yet.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:47 PM
dreddbatfan

Hi RC Flyer 2,I forgot to ask you a question.When I do finally get the upper fuse sides done.Do they go all the way to the top of the stringers or do they only go halfway on the stringer for the forward and aft deck sheeting?
Old 03-29-2024, 06:24 AM
RC flyer 2

I would always leave room on the stringer to attach the lower sheeting and the upper sheeting. If you have an email address, give it to me and I'll send a copy of the instruction manual.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:17 AM
dreddbatfan

Hi Chris,Sorry for not responding sooner.I already have the manual in a PDF file.The nice people at FedEx Office enlarged the picture from the manual so that I can get a pattern for the "BOW" for the side pieces.I just have to trace the pattern to the 3/32" balsa sheet and cut them out.I'm going to leave a 1/16" on the stringers for forward and aft sheeting to mount them on.If there's any other advice you have for the rebuild of the fuselage,feel free to let me know.Thanks again for your help and I'll be in contact with you again if I run into another "glitch in the matrix".
Old 04-10-2024, 12:11 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The kit provided two 36" long square pieces of balsa with a slot in it. In the slot went a strip of balsa that stuck out exactly the same as the sheeting. The sheeting rested on that strip and went up to the base of the former where the 1" x 1/2" block attached to the very top of the formers. That would then be sanded to shape. The part you point out in step 19 is a sheet that you cut to match the fuse.

Some of those instructions are not the most informed so takes study of the plans and parts before it falls into place. Do you have the original formers that make up the internal structure of the fuse?
Old 04-13-2024, 07:41 PM
wyowill

Would any of you have a set of plans and instructions for this model that you'd be willing to sell or share? I just bought a Top Flite Gold 60 size Corsair kit that seems complete except for any plans or documentation.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:06 AM
N8theSk8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can look on the Outerzone Web site I believe they have a set. https://outerzone.co.uk/index.asp
Old 04-15-2024, 07:18 AM
wyowill

Thank you!
Old Today, 03:37 PM
dreddbatfan

It looks like the rebuild of the fuselage and building this kit will never get done.I've waisted 8 sheets of balsa and countless pieces of paper to get the shape of the "SHAPED UPPER FUSE SIDES".I don't know what else to do or who to ask for help to continue.Everytime I think I get the shape of the bow right then it's too short to reach the stringers.I'm hoping that someone who has this kit and hasn't built the fuselage could send me a pattern of the shaped upper fuse sides so that I can finish the rebuild of the fuselage.Being disabled and not being able to figure this out is really depressing me.This is my last plea for help and I hope that someone can help me with a pattern,if not all the money and time has been for nothing.
Old Today, 03:42 PM
dreddbatfan

Default Help with pattern

Originally Posted by wyowill
Would any of you have a set of plans and instructions for this model that you'd be willing to sell or share? I just bought a Top Flite Gold 60 size Corsair kit that seems complete except for any plans or documentation.
Could you send me a pattern of the "SHAPED UPPER FUSE SIDES"?If you readd all the posts you'll know why I need them.Thanks for any help you can give me,I really appreciate it.