Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

VQ Model P-38 Lighting ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ Model P-38 Lighting ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VQ Model P-38 Lighting ARF

Does anyone know anything about this model or company? How is the quality of their aircraft? How is their support?

I just saw this airplane on RCWARBIRDS>COM and waswondering about it.

Lee
Old 11-14-2003, 04:18 PM
mweathers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VQ Model P-38 Lighting ARF

Yes I have seen this aircraft at Toledo and It looks O.K. but take a look at kondor model products and I think you see a big difference in the quality and price www.kmp.ca
Old 11-14-2003, 04:43 PM
EANDER6655

looks to me like the vq p-38 is higher quality than the kmp. The vq is definatly more scale like. Those fowler flaps it has are really cool.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:29 PM
DrDeath

mweathers,

I have seen KMP and the pneumatic retractable gear is a big plus. The thing that I don't like about the KMP is the color looks very cheezy. I would have to airbrush it to look more scale like. Speaking of scale the VQ has fowler flaps that look really cool. The wingspan is about the same as is the engines.

The one plus is the VQ has
- Fiberglass gear doors
- Fiberglass cowling
- Fiberglass engine supercharger covers
- Fiberglass center pod with molded panel lines
- Wings attached via aluminum tubing

Plus the fuse is built up. It is a hard call. Does anyone have one of these yet?

Lee
Old 11-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Asanders

Twinman did a review of both of those P-38's a side by side comparison... it is posted on here somewhere

Old 11-14-2003, 05:37 PM
DrDeath

Thanks Alan,

Found it. Don't know why my orginal search didn't come up with anything.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1256222
Old 11-14-2003, 06:03 PM
DrDeath

To All,

Just read his reveiw on RCWARBIRD and the comparison. From what I read, I will have to save my pennies and get the VQ. The VQ looks better and is very scale in apperance. The wing tubes, scale wheels etc etc. I am hooked! Check out the link here

http://www.rcwarbirds.com/morrisp38page1.htm

Lee
Old 11-14-2003, 06:49 PM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

You might try Spring Air as they are now dealers for VQ and are offering their retracts
and P38 at a discount. Per their website at www.retracts.com
Old 11-14-2003, 07:12 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Did I hear my name some where??
If you want to see the VQ fly, go to rcwarbirds and see the video. Make sure you have a good video card.....had to borrow the kids computer?
The comparison I did is not to present one over the other. Yes, I admitted that I own and now am glad to say, fly the VQ. The pictures are to let YOU make the decision.
I will be glad to reply to any questions on the VQ and invite KMP owners to do the same on theirs.
This is a hobby for fun........so why are my fingers shaking,,,,,,,and I am still smiling!!!
Will be at the field with it tomorrow morning.....sorry,,, the weather in Houston is warm!!
Good Luck,
Twinman
There is much more on this plane by others in the twin forum, including a guy who documented the build up. The twins forum for this is at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Vq_P..._901790/tm.htm.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Roll On 60

Before you make a decision, here are a few facts you need to know about the VQ P-38.
It is covered in something like shelf paper, not a normal covering like Ultracoat or Solar Tex. The fiberglass is very thin and the paint does not match the covering and must be repainted to match. In addition, the covering has weathering or should I say an attempt at weathering. It would have been much better leaving it off. The vertical stabs have to be re glued along with certain other areas. The firewalls are lite ply. No guns or retracts are included. The hardware leaves a lot to be desired. I discarded all of it. The cost IMP, is far above what it is worth. The Fowler laps are nice to see work but hooking them up and taking them apart when transporting the wing is a nightmare unless you transport with the wing together it will be a problem. (it is a three piece wing.)
I have no comparison to the KMP since I have never owned one.
Hope this helps with your question.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:37 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

FYI
Guns are now included, and so are oleo struts and drop tanks.
The firewall is thicker (2x) than the competition.
Yes, the covering is like shelf paper, but I have not seen any covering that tries to detail the scale apperance. It will also wrinkle in high heat, but use a light heat gun and it shrinks back.
I made and published a tool to remove the ball joint in the wing......could not stand to be told I cannot do something. You can see at VQ site.
I tried to land with the flaps up......and did, what for me is unthinkable......aborted and went around. Lowered the flaps and came in much slower.
The model was, not sure now, available as an ARC to allow any covering or paint scheme you like. I know my limits on covering is too bad to consider this route........getting laughed at the field is not good!!!
I would agree, that I did not use all the hardware, as like you, I tend to be picky, but did not throw it all away either.
I also have not built or flown the KMP, but, as my pictoral comparison shows at rcwarbirds.com, I have seen it. I have flown five other P-38's.
Still the choice is yours.
The number of P-38's is climbing.......life it good.
Twinman
Old 11-14-2003, 08:53 PM
DrDeath

Thanks Roll and Twinman,

Most of my decision is based on the pictures that Twin put on the RCWABIRDS site. Twin has done an exceptional job of not adding his opinion of one vs the other. The link that I put up here was all that it took. As to the statement about throwing away most of the hardware, what descent modeler uses most of the stock hardware that comes with ARFs these days? I know that I have been in this hobby for about 3 years (not long by any means) and of the ARFs I have put together, I haven't used all of the hardware that comes with it. GP PW 300 Robart hinges and different push rods etc. H9 Super Cub, different landing gear, push rods etc as with my GP Shoestring. I could go on and on. I have seen the video at work and was impressed with it's flying ability. Looking at the pictures I would probably take off the covering if it is that bad and recover it with something else or maybe glass it over and paint it. A friend at the file said !QUOT!To be honest, what is the difference than letting someone frame up a plane for you and they you finish it then taking an ARF stripping the cover off and refinish it?!QUOT!

THANKS TWINMAN for an unbiased review of the two kits.

Lee