Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Giant TF P-47 build in progress

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Giant TF P-47 build in progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 05:31 PM
hosertoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant TF P-47 build in progress

I also am building the p-47. Has anyone come up with a low profile 5" wheel that will fit in the wing? Also the plans say to run 1/16th sheeting cross grain in the area of the retracts. Did you do this? Thanks Rick. PS yours looks great!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason there is not enough depth in the wheel wells is the fact that the retracts are not in the scale location, look at a set of 3 views and compare to the plans and you will see what I mean.

for that reason I'm going to modify my kit so that the gear is in the scale location and I can use the robart alum machined wheels.

cheers
Peter
Old 06-17-2004, 07:36 PM
hosertoo

Thanks for your quick reply. Rick
Old 06-17-2004, 10:35 PM
ADSala
My Feedback: (2)

I decided to go with the 4" plastic robart wheels. They look fine. But I think I could get the 5" fancy ones to fit. Maybe later after I get it closer to be done.

Dean
Old 06-27-2004, 09:15 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So hows it going? I am seriously thinking about this one for a next kit and want to see how yours turns out. SO far your doing an awesome job, keep it up/

David
Old 08-01-2004, 08:08 PM
CraigM

Dean,

It's been quite a while since we've heard from you. How is your project going? Did you complete the FM application? Hope things are working out well for you and we hear about the maiden flight soon.

Craig
Old 08-05-2004, 11:01 PM
ADSala

Well, I've been enjoying my summer. Had to do some other projects. Had company from out of town. Went camping twice.

Now I can finally can get back to finishing. Here are some pictures. I'm going to cover the fin next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88163.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	161049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50383.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	161050  
Old 08-05-2004, 11:08 PM
ADSala

Here is another close up.

Name:	Ay74214.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	161057  
Old 08-05-2004, 11:08 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

hey ADSala

i jumped in here early in the thread with my jug but i havent posted in a while, i havent made too much progress but i have got the fuse to were u see it now and working on the wings, i have one currently sheeted and lg installed and working on the second, i only have one pic right now, yours is looking awsomw i only hope mine comes out as good as yours.

Name:	Fd91811.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	161058  
Old 08-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Well I just got back from a trip to NYC, well Long Is actually but close enough, while there I got my order for the all the Robart Gear sent to the office to save on frieght and $$$.

Soo May have to actually start mine now!!

cheers
Peter
Old 08-06-2004, 11:49 PM
nchrome

Well guys if I had a scanner I would post a couple pictures of my jug. Its done up in Ultra coat chrome and just about looks as good as Adsalas does. Maybe not quite as good but close and I also did rivets and panel screws and panel lines. Everybody else likes it. Just a couple of weeks ago I had a radio glitch that made her go into a 3D mode right after a bueatiful roll out and a graseful turn.[X(] Then all of a sudden the tail dropped and there she hung on the prop for about three seconds( thought to myself OH S**t [X(] Gave her down elevator and a lot more throttle and she leveled out and skidded the right wing tip on the runway and broke the wing in half. No other major damage. But later while trying to range test my CE I couldn't get any range. Had an other JR radio so I switched moduals and the range test worked out just fine. So I suspect that the modual went bad and didn't know it till then and thats why my P-47 could do 3D. So you see a range test at least every time you go to the field each day won't hurt.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What hub nut or spinner dome are ya'll using on a G-62?
Edwin
Old 08-08-2004, 02:31 PM
CraigM

Dean, Your jug is looking great. It looks like you found the secret to installing FM.

I'm currently working on the fuselage of mine. I slowed down because I decided I wanted a hatch and compartment for hiding the charging switches and air valve for the retracts. The original had an access panel on the right side behind the cockpit. It was large enough when translated to the GS model to cover everything I wanted, so I been trying to figure out how to get it done. I am installing a box inside the fuse and will make the panel and cut out the opening after I glass the fuse. The difficulty was that it straddles one of the formers. (Wouldn't you know it!) I'll try to get enough pictures as I go to show what I did. I'll post them here if anyone is interested.

Now if I can just get mine to look half as good as yours, I'll be happy.

Craig
Old 08-08-2004, 02:53 PM
BadBart

Great looking jug...how'd you make the panel lines and rivets?
Pat
Old 08-09-2004, 01:19 AM
ADSala

Thanks for the great comments guys. I have found that you really need a ton of patience with Flite Metal. I have not put in any rivets yet. I will be using the rivet tool (the small sewing wheel that comes with the FM kit). The larger rivets will be made with a small brass tube. I plan on putting in a hatch as well for charge jacks etc. A guy at my field did this to his P-47. Looked great. I pretty much followed the FM instructions for the panel lines. Just use tape to outline the next panel right against an existing panel. It takes practice. Use a #11 Xacto brand blade to cut. Tower hobby brand blades work good too. I've tried other brands that weren't as sharp. One xacto blade will only cut about 12" of FM before it's worn. I'm dipping the blade in mineral spirits before cutting.

I was thinking of making a small wheel out of a small thin washer to roll down the lines verses using a pen. Seems to be more effective to get the aluminum FM to impress a nice line.

Dean
Old 12-14-2004, 01:08 PM
justrfb

Dean,
How is your "Jug" coming along? Any updates? I hope all is well.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:09 AM
ADSala

Hi guys,

I have not forgot you. The p-47 had to be put aside temporarily cause I needed to work on my kitchen remodel which also satisfies my beautiful wife. But the big news is that I had a SIEZURE! Really. I had a grand mall siezure in August. During a camping trip I was hitching my boat up to the truck with the truck engine running. Got back in the truck and passed out! Became a emergency room victom. In the next few weeks, I got all the medical test done EEG, EKG, Blood, Heart, MRI etc etc. No epilepsy, no tumors, clots, nothing. I thought maybe I got a touch of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. So the doc said I was ok but was reserved. So since September, I've been training new students to fly and working on my kitchen. Then just two weeks ago I had another very mild 5 second seizure (my wife witnessed it). Good thing she's a nurse. That same day the Doc put me on meds and I have a visit with him on Friday. I've had no seizures since and I feel fine. Going into a siezure is absolutely the wierdest thing I have ever felt! And I hope to never have one again. But taking these meds (Depakote) do worry me a little. Hopefully they work.

I'll let you know how it goes. If everything goes ok, I am going to continue on the plane in mid January after the kitchen. I'm still working (my regular job as a software engineer) and all is well so far.

Dean
Old 12-15-2004, 06:25 AM
justrfb

Dean,
I am sorry to hear that you have had some health issues but am glad to hear you are taking care (with the help of your family and doctors) of them. I will say prayers for you and your speedy recovery. Take care and have a merry Christmas and happy holidays. I hope to see you back on the Jug real soon...
Old 12-15-2004, 08:16 AM
chines

WOW take care of yourself. Glad to hear that you are doing better. I really have enjoyed this post and looking at the pic of everyone's work..Beside my wife " just in case she sees this" I cant wait to get back from crappy Iraq to start building. Cant wait to see your next post but you take care of yourself, I have nothing but time here.

Chris
Old 12-15-2004, 01:09 PM
CraigM

Dean,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problem. I'll be praying for you, also. May you recover full health. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Craig
Old 10-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Canuck1

This thread has been quiet for a long time. Any progress on your P-47's?

Craig.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Dean,
very sorry to hear about your illness, hope you are on the improve. Those meds are pretty strong stuff. Normally prescribed for Bi-polar disorder which is a form of mania behaviours.

anyway do get well and get stuck into the jug. You aRE LUCKY TO HAVE A NURSE TO LOOK AFTER YOU

cheers
Peter
Old 10-23-2005, 06:27 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too! I hope things are working out . The last photos showed perfect technique in the accomplishment of the scale aluminum panels as they are butt jointed together.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:12 PM
ADSala

Hy guys,

I'm still here. Everything has been well. I have been in perfect health since the last time I posted here. I have been taking Dilantin for almost a year now. I can't even tell I'm on the stuff. So no problems at all. So life goes on strong with me. And my wife and kid are very healthy and happy.

So sorry for not continuing the posts for such a long time. I've been very busy. In June I purchased a condo in Maui! How about that?
[link]http://www.kiheikai.com/rooms/14.php[/link] This is mostly for investment purposes. Then we just got back from an 8 day trip to this condo in September. It needed a few fix up thingys. But besides this huge thing, I've also been flying quite a bit and training new pilots in my club. I've also have done a ton of float flying this summer.

Ok, lets see now. I am going to start working on the P-47 again. Most of you have probably passed me up by now. It's funny, I sometimes tell myself that I should have just covered it with ultracote. Well, it's too late. I have to continue with the Flight Metal. And the FM looks so much better. The plane has been sitting in my spare room. Everytime I go in there, I look at it with guilt. Well I will be transfering it back to the shop this week to continue and finish the job. Now that the weather is changing, it's a perfect time.

The next big job is to FM the wings. This should not be a difficult as the fuse though. The cowl also needs to be covered with FM.

Dean

One of my seaplanes

Name:	Om33554.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	343136  
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

onyamate!!

getstuckinit!

anavagoodweegend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.