Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Old Corsair resserection/restoration

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Old Corsair resserection/restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:37 AM
dinosaur454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old Corsair resserection/restoration

Yes Saramos it is a water based poly. No sanding sealer, I wanted the poly to penetrate the balsa sheeting a bit for adherance.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: US185Damiani
To be honest the Corsair had no wing to fuselage fillet one of the benefits of the gull wing was the 90 deg. angle where the wing met the fuse eliminating the need for any fairings.
Actually, the forward area of the bottom of the wing IS faired into the fuselage belly. It is genetly rounded into the fuselage, all the way back to the flaps. Otherwise, on top is it strictly 90 deg/ no fillet.

Wing Mafg. makes a simalar size Corsair, with Vac-formed wing inlets. I think these are available seprately, and may fit better tahn the Top Flite ones. Wing Mfg. also makes a nise canopy. They also make an MG set for thier Corsair, but I don't like the looks of it/ not very scale. I think between the 2 sets (mine of Wing Mfg.) you would be better off with mine. Top Flite Corsairs are 1/8 scale, the Jemco is 1/9, so using Top Flite parts may not be the best solution. Nontheless, I am working on getting some more M.G. sets made up.

If you need a cowl, the Graet Planes Corsair 40 cowl is available from Tower Hobbies for around $10. I like these, better than the Jemco ones and have purchased several. The cowl flaps need to be removed on top, and then a fairly accurate look can be had.

I just finished a Corsair with Behr house paint. This was my 1st experience with house paint, and all went very well. The plane, a Hanger 9 Corsair, came out looking pretty nice, and weighs less than 8 libs ready to fly. It is electric powered tho, so I do not need to add any fuel proofer.

It seems that I am far outnumbered when it comes to engine choice: the vast majority have an 'it needs more power' attitude and recommend engines in the .60 range. If prefer to keep mine light, keep the engine hidden as much as possible, and fly at scale speeds. Full scale Corsairs were capable of just over 300 mph at sea level, MAYBE 400 mph. Landing speed were around 100 mph. Divide by 9 and you come up with about 45mph, with alnding speed of less than 15 mph. Nearly impossible to obtain such a low landing speed with a 1/9 scale Corsair, but the closer you can get it: the better it will look.
Therefor, and if it appears that you can keep the weight down to the 6 lb range, I would use a Saito. 56 OR a good .46 2 stroke. Altho I have never completed a Jemco kit (I have several, included a started but not completed Dauntless), I did fly a DynaFlite FunScale 40 Corsair for many years, using a Saito .50. That Saito .50 proved to be all the power that I needed in this 5 1/2 lb bent wing bird. The .56 is the same size, but has more power, and have used one to power a 6 1/2 lb warbird (Great Planes AT-6), and again it was all the power I needed for scale flight AND some un-scale manuvers (like, nearly sustainable unlimited knife edge). If you live in an area of routine hi temperatures/ hi humidity and or hi elevation, then more more power is needed.

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim,
glad you dropped in on this thread. I thought you could help out.

No doubt you MGP look super.

dino.
Another consideration for painting is to use 21th Century or TF Lustercoat paint in a spray can. I have used the 21th C spray on small stuff and it was fine. My understanding is that on larger projects the spray isn't uniform and sputters. Having the can in a water bath of luke warm water helps.

Pete
Old 03-10-2005, 02:08 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice work on the old restoration. I hope to see it when done. I picked up an old Royal Corsair once at a flea market that was a basket case. It was my most fun project. Kinda like doing a restoration on a full scale.

Scott
Old 03-10-2005, 09:52 PM
dinosaur454

Yes Scott, I know what you mean. I'm having fun with this one and learning at the same time. With learning comes improvement and I'm all for that. Got the last piece of glass down on the wing tonight. Tomorrow sometime I'll start filling the weave. I'll throw together my sanding table before I start sanding on her. Or maybe I'll assemble the control surfaces and get them into glass. Who knows? Hey CorsairJock, you wanna sell that Dauntless?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 PM
dinosaur454

Got the ailerons made up and glassed. Little different glassing something this small as compaired to the wing itself. I'll assemble the rudder and elevators next and get them glassed. Got the recall to work, going back tomorrow morn. so I'll try to dedicate an hour or so each night to getting this old girl into paint. Anyone looked at SkyShark R/C's offerings lately? Man, I'm looking HARD at the Stuka kit. MMMMMM, Stuka. That would be sweet. But then again, Hobby Hangers got the Grumman Skyrocket kit. OOOOO, Skyrocket. So many warbirds, so little time...
Old 03-13-2005, 10:43 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dino454

If you are in need of a Jemco cowl, i think I have a glass blem that has a few voids in the front ring. I have the mold but hate to layup. Easy fix. Also the model will need nose wieght to CG.

Can dig it up if you need one for what ever uPS ground want to get it to you..

Steve
Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 PM
dinosaur454

Thanks Steve, we'll do that. Well, 1st week back to work and the boss tries to kill me with sheetrock.[:@] I hate sheetrock.[:'(] Hate it more when I have to carry it down the driveway and up 2 flights of stairs before I hang it[:-] Whine whine snivel snivel! Ahhh, now I feel better. Ok, got the elevators carved out and sanded and started replacing the torn up trailing edges of the horizontal stab. Can't find the rudder template right now[X(] not sure where it went, too much stuff in this modeling room to keep track of. Gonna work on the corsair for the next few nites after work, but next Friday I'm picking up a new flight pack so I can finish up my Aerotech International Hellcat. She needs radio and engine installed and shes done (and out of the way) so theres a little more room for me in the shop. Everyone have a great week and I'll chat at y'all later. Dennis
Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't blame you about the sheetrock, I think the only thing close to that dead weight is a sack of 90lb bag of cement. Niether one of them have handles.

Steve
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 PM
weskel

nice work so far, keep it up...

weskel