Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

warbirdreplica.com

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

warbirdreplica.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:41 PM
mweathers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warbirdreplica.com

Has anyone heard of or have a plane from an English firm by the name of warbirdreplica any info. on the quality of their products would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:33 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: warbirdreplica.com

I have seen their website:

www.warbirdsreplica.com

And I too would like to know how to find out more, like what they would cost in US $ and how to get them shipped here. I have asked here before, but didn't get the answers. Little help, guys?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:55 AM
greyfly

Gentlemen...I have a little info that might help you both.

First off, the quailty of the kits are very good....nice clear canopies and good selection pf wood. Clear instruction's/plan but I'm not a lover of the ABS cowls etc.

If you've been to the wed site then you know they are all around the 60 to 65 wing span and designed for 40/50 size motors. Retracts are an extra, and these tend to be the light weight inexpenive type.

The scale outline is pretty good and they fly really well (the most important bit, you would agree)

They are a couple of build reveiws taking place on a UK forum at www.rcflyers.co.uk if you a want a further look. One is a Hurricane and the other a LA7.

As for cost...that one I can't help......in England they sell for just under/just over the the £100 mark which is around the $150 for you chaps plus shipping and taxes. The kits in the UK are seen as good value for the money...but we are an exspenive country when it comes to modelling.......so I don't know how these would "hold up" in the US, where for our point of view...things are cheaper.

Anyway...I hope this is of some help....cheers!...greyfly
Old 12-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I tell, you as far as value goes they look as good or better than anything available here in the states. Especially in there size range. I'm surprized that someone hasn't imported them into the states. Maybe someone should ! [&:]
Old 12-23-2003, 02:15 PM
parabellum

exchange rate for british pound is not so favorable at the moment.

for 40 size warbird, I don't think they can compete with price.
may be there quality is much better than great planes or kyosho, but
with their skimpy web content, it is hard to tell.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:51 PM
IFR
My Feedback: (1)

I built their ME109 this past summer. I specifically wanted a 40 size 109 and they were/are the only ones I found who make one that actually looks like a 109. For what it is worth here is my take on their kit(s).
1) Very expensive. Don't remember the exact cost but is was over $200 US by the time freight was factored in.
2) Instructions marginal. They actually included a line in the instructions that read "I'm not going to tell you any more about building, after all your supposed to be experienced." The plans were only a basic outline and required external research to figure out where radiator coolers, air scoops, etc. were to be located.
3) Kit quality OK. Not a difficult build if you can figure out how things go together with marginal instructions. Foam wings presheeted with a course yellow colored wood. Turtle deck and section in front of the cockpit were foam with the same type sheeting already applied. Bottom half of the fus was the only built up portion of the plane. Tale feathers are 1/4" balsa sheets. Canopy was ruffly formed and is the weakest appearance point of the plane. Has a really flimsy foam ring to make up the nose. You can not touch this ring even after fiberglassing as it will dent. Matching spinner was available at a very reasonable price. Decals were nothing to write home to mother about. I painted most of the decals myself using theirs for only the German crosses. They offer a .40/.46 pitts style muffler that almost disappears in the cowl with the engine mounted at 7:00. If you buy one of their planes be sure to order their muffler if you will be powering the plane with a 2 stroker.
4) Retracts are added by removing a large section of the wing bottoms and installing a 1/4" ply as a base. They offer mechanical and pneumatic retracts that include the ABS plastic wheel wells. I used Great Plane's 60 size mechanical retracts.
5) Flies very well. I glassed the plane and added panel lines and rivets so the plane came out on the heavy side.

Would I buy another one? Yes if they were the only ones who made the plane, as the case with the ME109.