Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

northwest hobby technologies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

northwest hobby technologies

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 10:59 AM
mweathers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default northwest hobby technologies

Has anyone dealt with this firm since the ownership has changed, And has anyone built and flown any of their warbirds and what can you tell me about them?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:48 PM
TNeall
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: northwest hobby technologies

I have a NWHobbytech 85" Corsair that I built several years ago. It is a great airplane. It's not true scale, but close enough.
Once you understand the building technique it goes together pretty quick. I covered mine with 1oz fiberglass and poly-something clear finish. Painted with latex house paint. Power is a G38 and I used Robart retracts.
The plane flys great and looks great in the air. Everyone at the field stops to watch. High speed low passes are lots of fun. It preforms all of the standard warbird maneuvers without problems.
The plane seems to be tough. I have whacked it hard enough to actually bend the main gear and not damage the airframe.
I would recommend them to anyone who wants a good looking, easy build, easy flying warbird. I don't mean to understate the pucker factor when flying a big and expensive (for me) airplane. It's a pain in the rear to haul out to the field, but great fun when you get there.
There are lots of great kits and ARFs out there. You could do a lot worse than to pick one of these.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tneall,
What engine and retracts did you use on that corsair. I'm considering doing one in the future. Seems like with the foam fuse the profile could be modified to be more acurate. I have a US41 that doesnt have a home.
Edwin
Old 01-06-2004, 09:08 PM
TNeall

Edwin,
I installed a Zenoah G38 spinning a Master Airscrew 20x8 prop. The retracts are Robart 150's. The tail wheel does not retract, but you don't really see it in flight.
I think that the G38 would be the smallest powerplant that you would want to fly with. Flat out top speed is very scale, but you can hear it lug down at the top of a big loop. The 20x8 prop is probably to large.
The profile outline of the Corsair is not bad. The rudder and elevator do not have the counter- weights and the wing does not have flaps. I have never used the flaps on any of my planes that have them, so I don't miss them. Also, the wing doesn't have the air intakes on the inboard leading edges. All of these things could be addressed at building. But why complicate things. It looks really good in the air.
Like I said before, there are alot of very good warbird kits and ARFs. I think that all of the NW Hobbytech kits are worth a look. I'm very happy with mine.
Tim
Old 01-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info. Sounds like the US41 will get a home. I'm seriously thinking about buying a Jack Devine Corsair later next year. I find the foam fuse covering process interesting and want to give it a try. Have to finish a TF Thunderbolt and a BT Corsair (75") first and repair last years fun.
Edwin
Old 01-08-2004, 09:00 AM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

I own one of the old NWHT Super Corsair and the NWHT Super Solution kits. For the money, the kit is very nice and will be a quicker build than a balsa and ply kit. I do not have a problem fixing the non-scale issues like the tail surfaces, no flaps, and no intakes on the wings. I think Jack is improving the kits to address some of these issues. However, the headache of dealing with NWHT was not worth the money I spent.

While I have not ordered a kit from Jack yet, I can say that he would have to mess up a lot to come close to being as bad as NWHT was. Jack has always answered my emails quickly and has been helpful. As soon as I get some of my other kits out of the way I will order a Bearcat kit from him.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:07 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: TNeall

I have a NWHobbytech 85" Corsair that I built several years ago. It is a great airplane. It's not true scale, but close enough.
Once you understand the building technique it goes together pretty quick. I covered mine with 1oz fiberglass and poly-something clear finish. Painted with latex house paint. Power
When you painted, did you use a brush (type?) or spray?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:29 PM
TNeall

Voyager_663rd
The latex paint is sprayed on. Check out Roy Vaillancourt's articles on painting with latex in Model Airpalne News. There was one in the Nov. 03 issue and one or two early in 2001.
Tim
Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 AM
voyager_663rd

Thanks.