Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Global .15-.25 AT-6 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Global .15-.25 AT-6 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 04:05 PM
George12go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global .15-.25 AT-6 ARF

I have a AT-6 that took 3oz of weight in the nose, It seems like to much to me. I was wondering if anybody else has had this experiance with this Plane?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:19 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Global .15-.25 AT-6 ARF

George, great plane! I have been flying one in combat for three years (four mid-airs, and knocked over a tree with it). You best start with the CG where they recommend then start to remove the lead a little at a time. Mine has the CG ¼ past the aft recommended CG, and prior to the last midair it was ½ in past the aft recommended CG. This plane is a copy of the House of Balsa AT-6 and HoB will sell the plans only for about $7.00 and $5.00 shipping then you have plans for it. One of the tricks I use to remove weight is I use R6000 (can be bought at AC Moore) to glue the throttle servo to the engine mount and will eliminate at least half the added balance weight.

So you are warned, if you hooked up the ailerons as shown in the instructions centering will be poor. This is only a problem if you are a pattern flier but I thought you should know. Now what this means is that when you give it aileron to level the wings after a turn the plane will continue to bank in that direction very slow ly (feels like the wind is blowing you off coarse). The max. Role you should see is maybe 30-45 degrees before the next turn is started. In combat this was great, kept me from flying straight and level.

Also keep an eye on the wing joints. Now I was in combat so mine saw a lot of G's and even more out of balance flight. But mine started to flex about that joint after the first days flying. I cut away about an inch of covering on both sides of the joint, CA'ed it back to stiff than covered the area with two layers of 0.75oz glass. I recovered the area with monokote attaching it with trim solvent. Now mine is catapult launched (why my CG can be so far aft) so it does not have wheels and the landings would some times peel the monokote off the bottom.

Mine has been powered by a K&B conquest .15, OS 25FP (with the mcCool mods)(lost when I pushed over the tree) and a Norvel big mig .25. With the last mid air the plane had no covering on it bigger than a dollar so I recovered it.

The mid air info.
- during a head on pass proditor removed most of vertical stab and rudder.
- About a month later I center punched that same preditor in the right wing tip with my AMA nut. Landed with power too.
- The following year I was at a fly-in where the Zaggi's were taking over with their brand of full contact combat and they ask me if I wanted to join them. I was much faster than they were so I would do some low passes through the center of their furball. It did not take long before I realized that these guys don't spend much time in the knife-edge position and that if I knife edged through them I had a good possibility of a kill. On the third knife edge pass I took out two of them. The first one took off about 5-8 inches of the top wing and slapping the second on the top with the good wing hard enough to stall it (he flew again that day, I had to glue the tip back on mine).
- The last was this year. Those open guys with their all plastic planes have problems being confident in their plane enough to fly really low. When they pull off of my tail I bank into them and yank knowing they will be slow out of a turn and once I got a little more than just streamer.

One of the rekittings is shown on the "www.dmorgan.com/emrc" web site (I think it is the one with the busted engine)

Good luck

Joe
Old 01-25-2005, 03:47 PM
a68fan

Hey Paladin...

I'm assy. one of these ARF's, and am wondering if you or anyone else has come up w/ a "better" way to install the single aileron servo in the wing?? A regular size servo will be hard, if not inpossible to install/ remove. Can't get to the bottom screws... We're going to race these, using Thunder tigre .25's... Oh.. and they can have no modifications from kit. Any thought's??

Thanks!!!

Al
Old 01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Im trying to find one for our pylon racing. Who carries these planes?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:11 PM
a68fan

Hobby Lobby or Hobby People.. can't remember.. 89.99 (ARF) + 8.00 freight..