Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models .60 Zero - Modification Recommendations?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models .60 Zero - Modification Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:38 PM
MyNeed4Speed
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models .60 Zero - Modification Recommendations?

All,

I've jumped into the Warbirds frey with the World Models .60 Zero ARF. I intend to utilize the flaps and stock retracts. I'm powering it with a Saito FA-100.

I took the kit apart and reviewed it last night. I'm not impressed with the instructions/documentation thus far, but the kit looks straight forward to assemble.

Any suggestions/modifications you would make as you are assembling? Gotchas?

One question was the tail wheel assembly - is there any way to get more of a sullivan assembly to work on off the rudder?

Has anyone modified the rudder linkage to a pull pull linkage?

Would love to see any pics of how you all have added details and weathering.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 01-26-2004, 03:11 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: World Models .60 Zero - Modification Recommendations?

There's a review of the Word Models Zero in the newest Model Airplane News. As much as magazine reviews blow smoke about the airplanes they check out and as nice as the reviewer was to World Models I was convinced to leave it entirely on the shelf. A friend built one and had to put so much wieght in the nose it hardly got off the ground. Read the review.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:36 PM
MyNeed4Speed

Ballgunner, are you saying then I should consider returning this kit in favor of another, say the H9 P51?

thanks,
randy
Old 01-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Hellcat716

I think he is talking about the Giant Scale zero. Your sixty size will not take much weight at all. Keep the plane. I am sure you will like it.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:55 AM
philco
My Feedback: (5)

I have the world models zero 60 and I love the way it flies. I have a Saito .91 in the nose and it didn't require any nose weight. The retracts have worked with no problems. They have coined the term heavy metal pattern for the way it does acrobatics like a competition plane. Forget the flaps, you don't need them. It lands slow without them. Keep it light. Phil
Old 01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
MyNeed4Speed

Phil, thanks for making my heart beat a little slower In reading about the bird here in the forums, I hadn't seen anything re: weight problems on the .60 size plane. Appreciate your input!!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 01-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Big Daddy-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I also have this W.M .60 ZERO.
I`ve had it for about a year now.
Flys very nice and very fast using a O.S..61FX with a pitts.
The throws they have listed in the manual are too much, so recheck them.
Its a great flyer,I only used the flaps once. It lands very nice without them.
One thing you should do, is to make the retracts lean forward (towards the leaning eage of wing)by placing a 1/8 wood shim under the backside of the retract mount. I find this to help alot with noseovers.
With a OS .61FX, I had to add about 1.5oz. to the nose.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey! Keep that Zero!

I built mine last summer, and I really like it.

Like all World Model kits, the instructions seem really sparse, until you start building and then you'll discover that's because there's not that much to do!

I spent 6 hours each building two of their P-51's. The Zero took about twice that long because there was more to do, but it can easily be done in a weekend, esp. if you epoxy the wings and the tail on Friday night.

I put an O.S. .61 FX in mine and I really tried to build the tail light. It balanced with no nose weight at all. The only glitch I ran into with construction was that I couldn't get the prop-hub-to-firewall distance down to manual's spec's by about 1/4". I contemplated buying a shorter engine mount, but ended up just leaving it 1/4" too long and adjusted by moving the cowl out 1/4". That may have something to do with my CG coming out perfect. They ask you to anchor the aileron servos in hard balsa, which I couldn't stand. so I reinforced with Nyrod screw-guides. Only takes a minute.

The tail wheel does seem kinda wimpy, but once you fly it you'll see it's not under that much stress. In fact the WM planes seem to have that sort of "wimpy, but good enough" quality to them. I put >200 hard flights on my first Mustang with no structural failures. Until The Assassin cut my right wing off in Turn 3 of a race and I suffered a "structural failure" all over the north end of the airfield.

You can land fine without flaps, but they're really easy to hook up and kinda fun to play with. There was a negative concensus on the net about the WM GIANT scale Zero requiring a lot of nose weight and weak landing gear, but I haven't heard any such complaints about the .60. Also, the first edition of this plane apparently had a bad tendency to tip stall at not-so-slow airspeeds, but the newer edition has wash-out built in and I found low speed handling to be trainer-like.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

mt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31246.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	95049  
Old 01-28-2004, 12:16 AM
MyNeed4Speed

Big Daddy & Kram, hey, thanks for the info!! I love this site! Will keep you all posted on progress.

Randy
Old 01-29-2004, 07:42 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My world Models Zero doesn't have flaps?? old version?

I thinks it comes in a little hot. Running an OS91 4s pumper. too overpowered. and it does require plenty of lead in the nose. but it looks great in the air, very magestic and scale as is a treat to fly. I built a scale exhaust for it but am having trouble with the engine overheating, so i build a scale radial to restrict the incoming airflow. hasn't fixed the problem yet.

The retracts with mine are crap.

Does anyone else's wag it's tail in a turn?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Helcat

I got my 60 Zero in the early summer and I have a Satio 91 FS. I had to replace the retracts with better ones. The ones that came with it bent on the first rough landing on a grass field. I use the flaps, sometimes. It is a joy to fly cause I knock the snot out of the Hanger9 P51 and 60 size Corsair with the same size engine as the Zero.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42359.gif
Views:	55
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	95460  
Old 01-30-2004, 02:28 AM
MyNeed4Speed

ticketec , yes, the newer version have flaps ...

mpence, rock on man, glad to hear you're smokin' the other warbirds! I almost got the H9 P51, it looks so hot ... but I've always wanted a zero, and I just don't see many at our field here. Thought it would be fun to have something different!

will keep an eye on those retracts... everyone says they are not the greatest!

Randy
Old 01-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Helcat

The cool part of flying the Zero is that no one in my club has one. Now... some of them are thinking twice about getting one.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:57 PM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Your right about flying the Zero, Most people at my club stop to watch it fly... very impressive a/c.