Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

SPITFIRE NOSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 12:15 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPITFIRE NOSE

Having not seen the plans myself and if it's not plastic or fiberglass...I'd guess that it's carved from balsa block, as this is the way the nose section of Spitfires and Mustangs have been made for a long time.
Do the plans not show what the material is? If it's plastic or fiberglass, it's probably offered as an aftermarket accessory from the plans supplier.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:09 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Default SPITFIRE NOSE

Taz, building a scale model is not unlike sculpture. Sport planes are defined in many cases by the cut parts in the box. With a scale plane like the Spitfire, you actually have to shape many of the parts. It helps to be intimately familiar with the look of the plane so that you instinctively know when it's "right"... Short of that, a good plastic model of the subject can be a GREAT help.
Glue the blocks in place, trace the sideview profile from the plans onto the block. Plane and sand to the proper profile and then work on rounding and radiusing the corners 'til it looks like the model. If you don't have a miniature wood plane, get one. It really saves time and cuts down on the sanding dust.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:44 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default SPITFIRE NOSE

Also not being familiar withe particular kit, I'll offer a thought..

Some plans will gvie you some contour / profile / section lines; showing teh intended shape at various places, which should also be marked on the plan. Just photocopy teh profile / section views, paste them onto something stiff, and cut out teh profile / section. Then start carving, using the profiles / sections as reference.

Also, you might want to check out the various spitfire sites, and study them pictures. Can't think of any off hand, but I will suggest www.airliners.net. just type in 'spitfire' where it says, and you'll have a heap of pictures!

onve the nose is carved, carve out teh inside, to lighten the structure..