Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 my first tp giant corsair >

my first tp giant corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

my first tp giant corsair

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first tp giant corsair

well after reading all these threads, I am almost scared to fly my TF corsair, currently in progress, I have never flown a plane before, and decided to go straight to the best and biggest, why, because I love to build and fabricate, which is what I do for a living. I am learning a lot from the pro's, and vet flyers on this forum. So I just wanted to say thanks to all for the great advice, but I think I'll may just hang this one from the ceiling. Yey right! I guess I will expect my first crash!
DM[&o]
Old 03-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: my first tp giant corsair

guess you wont be dissapointed then when that giant scale corsair is in lots of pieces.

if u have never flown before then trott yourself off to your local model flying club and talk to the people there. Buy your self a trainer, learn how to fly it, progress on to a low wing tail dragger plane and become proficient and SAFE on it.

then and only then dust off the corsair. Get an expert warbird flyer to test fly it and shake out all the bugs, yes there will be a few.

that expert can then guide and coach you onto the big warbird.

if you choose your route then you are headed for heartache and possibly a lawsuit if that big corsair damages property and injures a person. Make no mistake you will be held culpable and liable for a huge payout and even a prison sentance if you maim or kill someone with an out of control 25lb plane with a person at the controls who has no idea what he is doing.

Same with driving a car. What would happen if a person got in car who had never driven before and ran over somebody?

Little bit of common sense please.

cheers
Peter
Old 03-26-2004, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the input, but I fully intend on talking and learning as I go, and beleive me I am learning a lot as I build this thing esspecially reading the manual, on how to program the transmitter to aileron trimming, pluss set up. I will look into joining a team expert instructor, at some point, but in the meantime I will enjoy the progress in building this huge plane. I'm more concerned about building tips at this point then flying.
Thanks,
DM
Old 03-26-2004, 08:30 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend getting somebody with experience to look at your linkage setup. Awhile back somebody brought a midwest AT6 out that looked nice but the linkage was a disaster. No locking nuts and too light. The servos were std which may or may not have worked. I like a little more torque for insurance. It was built with a .60 sized mentality. That wont do on giant scale. And definately do what the previous poster said. I see this all the time and it ALWAYS ends in a crash. You're a few years away from flying that plane my friend.
Edwin
Old 03-26-2004, 10:34 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hate to see a nice looking Corsair go down on its maiden flight. That would be devastating. Unless you have super human abilities, you will crash. Crashing is not a question of "if" - it's a question of "when".

If you intend to fly the Corsair, I suggest you start out with a high wing trainer first, then move to a low wing sport plane (something like a T-34), then a low wing tail dragger (AT-6). Once you are proficient at taking off, flying, and landing a low wing tail dragger, then you are almost ready to fly your TF Corsair.

On the bright side, you are only a year and a half or two away from flying that plane.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:34 PM

I here ya, I'm sure it will sit hanging from the ceiling until I am confident, I can fly it. I will suspect, when the time comes to fly this thing, I will have to do many changes to to the servo set up, I will have learned when I go through my learning process. This is a huge plane, with a g-62 that I have for it. I find this site is really handy for input. I built a plane way back in the early eighties, cant even remember what it was, I think it was a cox powered p41, but it never made the sky, just hung from my bedroom ceiling, tell it got damaged.
Thanks
DM
Old 03-27-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know, it just occured to me. A good buddy of mine in the club did almost the exact same thing with the same plane. Excellent builder. He will eventually be a top gun contender someday. But his flying needs tons of work. When the fatefull day comes (after 3 or 4 years of on and off building) he wants me to do the maiden on it, corsairs are my passion. This TF giant corsair is all decked out with retract doors that have safety mechanisms on it so the wheels cannot retract if the doors are closed and they cannot extend if the doors are closed. I told him that was a little overkill but he just grinned, pretty much a hopeless tinkerer. He's working on a detailed cockpit with sliding canopy. Really nice. Since Ive watched the build process from nearly day one, I know what shape the plane is in and all the controls will be perfect. So I have no problem flying the plane for him. Hes built many fine planes in the interim that I and another buddy have test flown for him, we'll sometimes give him the trans up high so he can get the bug even worse than he has now. His main problem is his job, it gets in the way of flying. He has soloed but only flys his trainer about once every 2 or 3 months. I told him at this rate he's gonna be old and decrepid before he's ready. He knows what has to be done, just not enough time to fly. Another good thing about this guy, he's a machinist in his other hobby. The point of all this is to find somebody to take you under his wing. I dont know any true modeler that doesnt like talking shop. Do it the right way and you're gonna love it.
Edwin
Old 03-27-2004, 04:01 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, Im finding in the building process, of the wing tips on these tp corsairs to be a little week, the way they slid in the outer tip or the main spar, I'm thinking of adding some plywood birch pieces for strength, I have also had to add some popsicle sticks for shimming between the main spare, and the outer spar.
Thanks,
DM
Old 03-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi DM ,
ggod to hear that you have listened to all the advice.

IF you look in the TF website and go to kit reviews there are 2 on this kit. One mentions at great depth about reinforcing the wing, in particualr the gull section. Not sure about the tips though but I'd reccommend you go download those reports and have a read.

Best of luck with it and post some construction pics if you can.

cheers
Peter
Old 03-27-2004, 07:59 PM
My Feedback: (24)

well i am in my third season and have flown the following

trainer
ultra stick
Cub
4 * 60

I have a P51 and a H9 corsair waiting on me. My point is I am still not sure if i am ready! take your time and work your way up to it
Old 03-27-2004, 09:21 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Let me tell you a story that happened to me.
When I lived in Indiana, a guy built one with a G62 and wanted me to test fly it.
Lets just say that anything other than 3/4 throttle and the plane would drop like a brick.
I had to fly it just over the top of the corn, while standing on a picnic table.
WHen I landed I let it go down the road to the field until it stopped.
We adjusted the elevator and added flaps and the plane flew good.
Later he changed the propeller (too small)
I will say not to fly this plane without letting someone who knows what they are looking at to examine it.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:15 AM

I will take my time, I am learning lots, but I am half way through the building process of this corsair, and I tell ya this kit is not for any beginner, which is me!, but the plane is looking great, I'll have to put some questions out there on sheeting and glassing when I get to that point.
DM
Old 04-02-2004, 10:26 PM

Do you know where I can get an assembly MANUAL for the "D&R 85" Corsair" kit? It's the one that is sheeted foam cores and a huge fiberglass cowling. Thanks [X(]
Old 04-02-2004, 10:57 PM

I'm not to sure where to find that kit, you may have to do a search, via internet, or try ebay!
DM
Old 04-02-2004, 11:35 PM

ORIGINAL: billjustbill

Do you know where I can get an assembly MANUAL for the "D&R 85" Corsair" kit? It's the one that is sheeted foam cores and a huge fiberglass cowling. Thanks [X(]
Old 04-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

I would like to share some advise with you You can not hope to build a giant scale plane to be airworthy with no flying experience even just flying a trainer you can learn so much about this hobby and how these r/c planes handle.If you are like the rest of us (really enjoy this hobby) please save yourself the heartache of a smashed plane "or worse" get a trainer and a tutor and have a ball, trust me it will lead to years of fun, your way will lead to a short flight and a bunch of wasted time and money.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, and yes I realize what you are saying, and don't get me wrong, this plane will hang from my cieling tell such a time I am ready to fly it. It will most likely hang unfinished, tell I learn more about them. Building is going well though!
DM