Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/5 Fiber Classics Spitfire kit - help req.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/5 Fiber Classics Spitfire kit - help req.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:18 AM
fastbanana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 Fiber Classics Spitfire kit - help req.

Hi Warbird Freaks,
I have recently acquired a beautiful kit of the Fiber Classics 1/5th Spitfire. It will be based on the Spitfire from the Duxford museum in the UK. The main problem so far is there are no instructions. I have various parts cut out in wood for the fus. It doesn't mention engine size as the plans have been hand drawn by the previous owner. So far, the wings are joined and glassed. The bubbles have been added. The guns are made. Dowels in place. The retracts are UNITRACTS. The tail is built. One of the biggest challenges is the cooling for the engine. I read an article some years back about 2 guys in the UK building I think the 1/4 FC Spit with an in-line ZDZ with ducting from the radiators under the wing using tubing from a car ventilation system. I am fabricating a scale exhaust to complement the 60cc 3W. Help on this would be tremendous. I also would like to have a sliding canopy and working cockpit door. Another question: is the tail wheel free like a trolley wheel? Dodgy ground handling then?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52173.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	117856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97217.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	117857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93316.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	117858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36513.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	117859  
Old 04-02-2004, 02:11 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/5 Fiber Classics Spitfire kit - help req.

I have a Fiberclassic Spit (100" wing span) and could e-mail the instructions to you. (scan to produce PDF file)
However mine is all composite-glass. The wings join together by tube for dis-sassembly and are not glassed together. The rudder and elevators are also composite, not built up per your pics.
Are you sure you have a Fiberclassic kit??
Mine is about one year old - does not appear to be like yours (construction wise) so the instructions may not apply
Old 04-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Tom Verstappen

Hi

Do you have pictures of your complete Fiberclassics Glass Spitfire?

Thanks
Tom
Old 04-04-2004, 05:42 AM
fastbanana

Thanks for replying. The kit is about 7/8 years old. Wingspan is 88inch. 1/5th scale?
Old 04-04-2004, 02:50 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I bellieve the tail wheel was of a "castering" type, which was not steered by the pilot. However, all of the RC kits of the Spitfire I've seen have had the tail wheel driven by the rudder or by a separate servo. Hope that helps. I'd also highly recommend the book "Spitfire - Flying Legend" by John Dibbs and Tony Holmes. It has more awswome color pictures of different Spits (flying today) than any other book I've seen. I was able to pick up my copy for about $10 at a Christmas sale at the local mall. There is a great description by AJ Sephton of his airshow routine in a MK VC.
Good luck, and keep us all posted. I've got a Pica 1/5 Spit and would love to get my hands on a more "scale" kit, a bit larger than the Brian Taylor 83" bird. Am I jealous? You bet!
Sam
Old 04-04-2004, 09:53 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fastbana,
this is just an observation but seem to me that in picture Nº2 you have the gear with the rake aft. The rake should be forward. Also the grill of the radiators is recesed in the housing, not flush. Should be a good flying bird, what power are you using? Check my Brian Taylor Spit at http://mywebpage.netscape.com/warbirdscale/
JG
Old 04-06-2004, 04:29 AM
fastbanana

Hi JG,

Thanks for the reply. The power i am using is a 3W 60. What about cooling? I don't want to open the cowl if possible, it's too nice.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:08 AM
jasec70

Default FIBRE CLASSICS 2.6m SPITFIRE.

Hi, I have just acquired a 2.6 meter FIBRE CLASSICS SPITFIRE...
I am needing help in finding a BUILD MANUAL..
CAN ANYONE HELP????