Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Home made decals

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Shihtzutan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home made decals

I'm not having much luck with decal paper in my ink jet printer. The ink doesn't dry. If I print on paper, glossy or otherwise, they look good, but they are too thick to look good once applied. Is anybody out there making decals successfully? I’m not using it for insignia, but rather squadron logos, nose art, and placards in 1/7 scale. I tried printing on sticky back monocoat with the same results.

I seek a product that will allow me to use my photo quality inkjet printer. It can be clear and it can be white depending on what I’m printing, but is has to be thin. Ideas anyone?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:53 AM
AlvinS

Default Home made decals

I use decal paper from my hobby shop. I'll look up the brand name and let you know what type to look for. The type I use specifies the type printer it will work in. Some are for Ink Jet printers and some are for Laser. The two don't mix. Once printed on an ink jet printer, the decal must be sealed before you soak it in water. Microscale sells a sealer for this.

Old 05-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Shihtzutan

Default Home made decals

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to hearing from you again. My printer is a HP Deskjet 720C.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:38 AM
Heavy Date

Default Home made decals

The best printer to use for this is an Alps. Too bad they are no longer available. They print white ink!!!

If you have the artwork done in corel, email it to me and I will print it out for you. I have an Alps 1300 and have been doing my own decals for over a year now. I'm just up the street from you in NH.
Hans
Old 05-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Shihtzutan

Default Home made decals

Heavy Date, I appreciate that! It's a nudie for my TF P-47 cowl, a squadron logo, and tail number. Maybe I'll even take a trip up and buy you a beer while I'm at it. Give me a day or so to format it and I'll get back to you.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Heavy Date

Default Home made decals

No problem. If you go to my site on the photos page is a decal sheet I made up for my project.
http://hoverhans.8m.com

I use corel Draw 8 so if you save it in that format, it will only take a few minutes to print it out for you. I have the paper and all that stuff.

Hans
Old 05-20-2003, 04:34 PM
AlvinS

Default Home made decals

Shihtzutan

The information on the decal manufacturer is as follows:

Experts-Choice Decal
Bare Metal Foil Co.
PO BOX 82
Farmington, MI 48332
www.Bare-Metal.com
1 (800) 628-7296

Use #121 Ink Jet Decal Paper. This is specifically designed for ink jet printers.

They recommend coating the decal with a fine spray of Microscale Liquid Decal Film (#127). I use the Microscale decal film, but I apply it with a soft brush, and it works great. You must coat it before you soak it in water or the ink will run.

Let me know how it turns out.

AlvinS
Old 05-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Shihtzutan

Default Home made decals

Thanks for the intel Alvin,

I'll order some and see what happens. Ultimately I'd like to be independent, but for now I'm going to take Heavy Date up on his offer to get the project rolling again. I'll post the pics when its finished. I have a question about that decal film #127 you mentioned . . . . is it fuel proof? It was my belief that Bare Metal Foil products are typically for plastic scale models, not glow powered R/C.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:28 AM
AlvinS

Default Home made decals

By them selves they are not fuel proof, but you should be able to find a clear coat that is fuel proof and not hurt the decal. I'll experiment with mine and see if I can clear coat with fuel proof paint. I'll let you know.

AlvinS
Old 05-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Heavy Date

Default Home made decals

The nice thing about the Alps is that it is a dry ink process and is waterproof. I will put a clear coat over them if they are in an area that will see fuel as I have never tested them for fuel prof yet. Epson makes the dura brite inks that are water proof, but they do not make white ink for it. Makes it a bit tough to do markings without white ink.

Just let me know when you are ready, and I can get them right out to you. No trouble at all. Just for info, try and fill a whole sheet with any kind of markings you need. I have to print a whole sheet anyway, might as well be usable stuff on the whole thing.
Hans
Old 05-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Shihtzutan

Default Home made decals

Thanks gentlemen,

Fuel proofing is definitely an issue; the clear coat will sometimes cause the ink to run or depending on what the decal is printed on, the decal paper wicks up the clear coat and changes the colors of the decal. It's a real pain in the neck, but once this dragon is slain I owe you both a debt of gratitude for sticking with me! Thanks

Heavy Date, I don't have Coral Draw. Do you have any other suggestions for a format? I'd be more than happy to put together a whole sheet of good stuff. I take it it's for a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. What should I set the margin to?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Heavy Date

Default Home made decals

Well, I am used to doing them in Corel Draw, but I guess they will come out O.K. in any program that is in Vector format. Raster stuff looks pretty bad as it is in pixels rather than a numerical format.

The sheets are 8 1/2 X11 and a 1/2" margin should be fine.

Are you going to the scale event at Gardener airport? If so we can link up and I can give you the decals in person.
My email is [email protected] if you need to get me, or send a file for me to try out. As far as being in debt, forget it. That is part of the hobby, helping out others if you can.

Take care, Hans
Old 05-25-2003, 08:11 AM
Shihtzutan

Default Home made decals

I haven't heard of a scale event, but I'd be glad to make the journey (I'm currently between jobs). When is it? My area isn't real big on scale, mostly pattern flyers down here!

What are the file extentions for the graphic format you're looking for? I don't seem to be as versed as you in computer graphics.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:53 AM
Heavy Date

Default Home made decals

The extension is cdr That is what I am used to working with. Things like photo shop and adobe are raster programs and look like crap as decals. They are made up of pixels so they always look grainy. Vector programs like Corel Draw are vector programs and use numerical vectors so everything looks smooth and can be resized without and distortion. I think Autocad would work as well. The best I have found is Corel Draw.

The scale meet is on Jun 7 and 8. It is called Bottom Gun and is more of a warbird fly in. Two weeks after will be the New England scale qualifier at the same place.

Gardener airport is the place. I know it is exit 22 off of rotue 2. I will try and get an address. You may be able to find directions just using Gardener airport for a search.

I will be there on the 8th as a friend will have his B-17 there and I want to check her out.
Take care, Hans
Old 05-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Shihtzutan

Default Home made decals

I appreciate the info and you'll probably see me there. I'll let you know as the date gets closer. I'm going to try and download Coral Draw as a demo version and see if I can get a page printed. Maybe I'll pack my Mustang and Corsair, the P-47 won't be ready. I've got UMA insurance, not AMA and I think most fly-in's only take AMA insurance, so there is a good chance I'll be grounded.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Heavy Date

Default Home made decals

Have you been able to put a sheet together yet? I have to run a few sheets off for others and figure i'd try and get yours done at the same time.

Answered a couple questions and now have 10 sets of decals to run off! I may even make some money off the printer!

Now I just need to finish tuning my laser and start the 5 kits that people want!

Let me know about the sheet. Oh Yea gardner is this weekend. I plan on being there on Sun.

Take care, Hans
Old 06-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Shihtzutan

Default Home made decals

Haven't had luck finding anything that will save a graphic with a cdr file extension. Don't let me hold you up. I haven't given up trying to print my own.

I plan on going up to Gardner this weekend also, probably on Sunday depending on the weather and will look for you. Are you going to be wandering around or pretty much hanging-out @ your friends B-17? I'll introduce myself to the owner of the B-17 and ask for Hans (after all, how many can there be?). By the way, is 'Heavy Date' a nose art theme from a B-17? I'll wear a 'Wild Angel', nose art tee-shirt and answer to the name of Mike - hope to see you there!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Heavy Date

Default Home made decals

Heavy Date is from a B-17. My site has some nice info on her as well as my model. She was lost on 10 Apr. 1945 over Fassberg Germany, and the escape of some of the crew is a real awesome story. They even stole one of Fatso Goerings cars!

I will be wandering around the show but my main intrest will be the B-17. His name is Mitch and it will be the first time I meet him in person also. I have more friends that I have not met than ones I have! Internet is great for the hobby.
I hope to be there pretty early and see all the planes. Won't be flying as I have nothing worthy of the event. I'm sure I will find you or you me. It is not that big of an event.
Take care, Hans