Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair Color and Marking Scheme

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair Color and Marking Scheme

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Skyflyer
My Feedback: (122)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair Color and Marking Scheme

Hey guys...I could use some input. I have the Top Flite giant Corsair, but dont want to use the "Bayou Baby" decals that came with the kit. I plan to paint it all Insignia Blue except for Light Aircraft Gray (on bottom of the fuselage and the inner wings before the hinges.) I have seen an old photo of an F4U with checkering, but cannot tell whether the checkering is black, blue or red. Anybody know for certain what color checkering was used? It seems like they were not big on nose art or much in the way of distinctive marking for Corsairs in the Pacific Theatre, were they?

I noted that some of the Corsairs showed their kills and crew names on the starboard side of the fuse. Is that correct? In what instances were they decorated on the right side?

Does anyone know if any Corsairs were in the European Theatre at the time of D Day? It would be interesting to have invasion stripes on my bird.

Any suggestions you might have as to any free sources of such marking information would be appreciated. Thanks! Jerry S.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:27 AM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Corsair Color and Marking Scheme

Skyflyer, I'll bet you'll find something helpful to you on this site;
http://www.andrews.edu/~dodge/f4u.html#survive
Old 06-26-2004, 09:28 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

skyflyer,

The Corsair was not used in Europe during D-Day. Fret not, though. The Corsair was, indeed, offered in many different colors and markings. I, too, have a Corsair and have been resisting the urge to duplicate what has already been done many times. Start with searching the web for markings from various countries...........England, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Lots of cool stuff out there!

The checkerboard design, no doubt, refers to VMF-312. Go to www.f4ucorsair.com for more info and possible leads. I'm not 100% sure of the colors of the actual checkerboard but they appear to be the same shade of blue as the airframe. The website may direct you to a location that will tell you for sure.

I've added an attachment of a Royal Navy Corsair scheme that is pretty cool and not often found on the flight line. As for me, I've found a New Zealand scheme and I'm not sharing.........yet. I'll finish the plane first.

Good Luck and enjoy the research. This is sometimes the most fun part of modeling.

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77615.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	147712  
Old 06-26-2004, 11:30 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never seen documentation of the color scheme you are suggesting: "Insignia Blue except for Light Aircraft Gray (on bottom of the fuselage and the inner wings before the hinges.)".

If you going thru the effort to build such a large Corsair, why not do it right and put on an authentic scheme. There appears to be many who put a finish on planes such as Corsairs, based on what they THINK they should look like, but bearing little resemblence to what an actual Corsair looked like. I urge you to do some research/ buy a book or 2 (Squadron/ Signal publishes some good ones, as do other companies), and apply an authentic scheme to your Corsair. If you don't, and you think others won't notice, you are wrong. There are many Corsair fans out there who know what Corsairs are supposed to look like.

If you like the checkered design, try this one which has a base paint of glossy sea blue (no light gray).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91463.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	147743