Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Is Pica going out of business?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Is Pica going out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:23 PM
FrankRC1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Pica going out of business?

I went to there web site and it says they are moving. Only taking orders by email and selling only what is on the shelf. Anyone know if thay are going under?
Old 07-14-2004, 05:17 PM
FW190 Dave
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Is Pica going out of business?

My impession was that they where just moving to a bigger building. Of course there site has been like that for quit a while now so who knows.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Super-swooper

Send tem an E Mail. They can supply some kits.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked with them about when they could supply a duellist to their dealers. They said it would be 4-6 months. Talked to them around July 4. They still had a duellist which is what I wanted, but they want $200 for it Quantum or Sheldons only want about $125. I'll wait.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:08 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

e mailed pica a week ago. they are moving to south america. they will be back in buisness in approx. 3 to 6 months. thanks bob
Old 07-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Badger,

B&B Hobbies in Spokane, Wa has a Duellist Kit (or did) for much less, even after shipping I would guess. BTW I tried to obtain a T-28 Canopy from Pica with no luck....think they are gone unless someone buys them out ?
Old 09-18-2004, 09:48 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Looks like it's official now... their website is completely gone (although the domain name is still registered), and it looks like they tried to dump the rest of their stock on eBay the last couple weeks.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Hisham

I ordered the Stack exhaust on the 30th of April :

Yes the exhaust are in stock. You can order them with the master card adn we will ship to your address. Please note that the shipping will be about $15

You can go online to order (go to the p-40 page for the parts list) or fax the information to 305-937-2322. Include what kit, what part and your complete shipping address, and the credit card number & expiration.

Regards,

Jon

That was the reply,
I recontacted Jon on the 15 th of May to get another reply,

Hisham,

We will ship shortly.

Regards,

Jon Tanger
Pica Enterprises Inc
2675 NE 188 Street
Miami, FL 33180
305-932-8008 phone
305-937-2322 fax
[email protected]
www.picaweb.com

However, never got this stack exhaust!
Old 09-18-2004, 12:15 PM
3dd

well if they want to move to south america i say good for them.good place for them in a cheap work place with cheap product.may import fees eat tham alive
Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 AM
Thaba Raptor
My Feedback: (2)

It is apity that Pica is gone. I liked their kits. I still need a cockpit kit for the 1/6 scale P51 and my kit arrived without an instruction manual.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:26 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought they were getting a little better. I will miss their Corsair.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Larry S

I'm in the finishing stages of putting together the Pica Corsair and found the kit to be one of the best and easiest kits to put together. Everything went together just as they should. The plane before this one that I built was the Top Flite FW 190 and that was a terrible kit. Big difference between the two. I do hope Pica gets back into business soon. Larry
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: 3dd

well if they want to move to South America iI say good for them.good place for them in a cheap work place with cheap product.may import fees eat tham alive
I will second that America needs manufacturing jobs coming in not leaving to. I just can not see how the work place got to be such,in this country,that if a P.C. is not infront of you wou have no money and no future;pathetic as to The U.S. becoming an exporter of "services." And now our resident' Jet guru,if I have my information right,(with rigirous quality control) offers his un-equaled line of jets produced in part or in wkole on foriegn soil-- What a mess we are in as a Country: using imported/cheap labor rather than creating manufacturing jobs,HERE in THE United States. FRICK the excuses this exponentially increasing dependence on 'foriegn countries cheaply produced items spells trouble; yet all I hear to that regard is reteric! like mine--- Do you older types remember the the long discontinued American industry leader: Kraft Radio Systems late magazine Ad,stating "We will be here in 1984??" Congrats America we let the world whip us where it hurts.'You know there must be a balance...we are tail heavy.. got some Prather Products stick on weigts? I think we still cast lead here which is where our country seems to want to be,"sitting on their lead As---." >>This statement will self destruct as soon as RCU reads it[sm=eek.gif][sm=lol.gif][8D]
Old 10-20-2004, 10:58 PM
B757Captain

Unfortunately, the market has spoken. People won't buy an ARF made in the US. Many of these ARFs have a retail price below what the cost of assembly labor would be here. Conversly, if ARFs were twice the price to cover the labor costs and were not made overseas, not enough people would buy them to justify the overhead necessary to achieve economy of scale savings. Proof is rampant - just read every post where someone is looking for a cheap deal, is griping about how much something costs, or buys the cheap version of a product instead of the (maybe) better but more expensive one.

You want to fight back? Don't buy ARFs, buy kits. Buy K&B engines. Demand that products you buy are made here. Unfortunately you'll get trampled by the herd rushing to the aisles for the cheap imports.

By the way, I have never owned an ARF, been flying rc for 17 years.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:38 AM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

I didn't know Pica made ARF's. I have two of their Spitfires and I like the kit and I like the way they fly. The kits were cut when they were based in Miami and from I can tell, all their kits were very popular.

ARF's are starting to get a bad reputation for being cheap (quality) and I think most of us are still building from plans or kits. Arf's are great for folks who don't like to build or don't have the time to build.

I would like to see Pica come back or sell the rights to their kits so we can still enjoy them. If not, there are plenty of designers out there who have good plans and kits.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:45 AM
gow589

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: B757Captain

Unfortunately, the market has spoken. People won't buy an ARF made in the US. Many of these ARFs have a retail price below what the cost of assembly labor would be here. Conversly, if ARFs were twice the price to cover the labor costs and were not made overseas, not enough people would buy them to justify the overhead necessary to achieve economy of scale savings. Proof is rampant - just read every post where someone is looking for a cheap deal, is griping about how much something costs, or buys the cheap version of a product instead of the (maybe) better but more expensive one.

You want to fight back? Don't buy ARFs, buy kits. Buy K&B engines. Demand that products you buy are made here. Unfortunately you'll get trampled by the herd rushing to the aisles for the cheap imports.

By the way, I have never owned an ARF, been flying rc for 17 years.

Unfortunatelly the Unions have driven every good piece of industry out of the country and made it hard for those industries to survive which can't leave. They are crippling us.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:33 AM
victor55ca

My wife is a union member and I am so sick of hearing these neocons say that unions have driven the work from north america. I don't want to live in a 3rd world country, perhaps the people who complain about all our unions should go live in 3rd would country where they can procure all the slaves they want, live like kings and lords, have their family members kidnapped for money and live in barbed wire armed guarded compounds. Wow now thats living.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:56 AM
gow589

Unions will never make a 3rd world country become a developed nation so I don't know how you make a comparison like that. Every where you turn unions have driven out industry after industry. Sure they had their purpose but they went way beyound that. Industries that can not leave such as the airlines are being crippled. I was in an airline Union. It was great how much money the Sr's were making and how little they were working. More power to them but the company could not make it wen the economy turned south and the enormouse paychecks came out of the ticket payers pockets and the small guys at the airlines. They go into bankruptcy and the entire nation pays for it. Great for the guy on top! Bad for the country as a whole. We will become a third world nation the way things are going. We can only suport so many 7-11 jobs because that will be all that's left.

ORIGINAL: victor55ca

My wife is a union member and I am so sick of hearing these neocons say that unions have driven the work from north america. I don't want to live in a 3rd world country, perhaps the people who complain about all our unions should go live in 3rd would country where they can procure all the slaves they want, live like kings and lords, have their family members kidnapped for money and live in barbed wire armed guarded compounds. Wow now thats living.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 AM
B757Captain

My comment concerning ARFs and overseas labor was responding to a previous post that evidently has been deleted. I should have copied and pasted - my bad.

Of course, had I added the quote I was responding to, would my post have been deleted as well?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 AM
gow589

Did I take your quotes out of context? I can delete them if you want me too.

Gary

ORIGINAL: B757Captain

My comment concerning ARFs and overseas labor was responding to a previous post that evidently has been deleted. I should have copied and pasted - my bad.

Of course, had I added the quote I was responding to, would my post have been deleted as well?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this thread has changed in content from Pica's status to other issues, could it be moved to the forum for "Arguments about Politics, Religion, Sex, and Union/Industry Issues" ?

Best wishes
Dave Olson
Old 10-21-2004, 12:03 PM
submikester

I'd love to buy an American made 4 stroke but where are they? The only ones I know of are the Laser 4strokes and I simply don't have the cash for those. As for 2 strokes, I've owned my share of K&Bs and they simply aren't the engines for me. I feel I'm pretty good with engines; I've had OS Magnums, Thunder Tigers, Foxes and K&Bs and of all of them the only ones I had problems with were the K&Bs and to top that off they simply were not where I wanted them to be for power. The K&B 20 and 45 (I think) that I had that were bushed and not BB were alright engines - the 20 was especially reliable but they simply didn't have any power (bushed and all). The Fox on the other hand (I've had a few) were great engines and if I hadn't gone all 4stroke I would go all Fox 2stroke instead.

I had a .50 on a Sig kougar with a tuned pipe and it was fantastically fast with out of sight vertical.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:38 PM
FW190 Dave

Every where you turn unions have driven out industry after industry. Sure they had their purpose but they went way beyound that. Industries that can not leave such as the airlines are being crippled. I was in an airline Union. It was great how much money the Sr's were making and how little they were working.
Gary, I don't think you can blame unions for what is happening in this country. It goes way beyond unions. It really goes straight to the coorperate greed and increasing profits they are seeking. Even if there where not any unions you would still have this situation. When a coorperation can pay a person in China, Mexico, a couple of dollars a day if that then what do you think they are going to do? Even if everyone in a U.S. based company was making the minimum wage it is still a heck of a lot cheaper to go to a 3rd world country for your labor. With a 5/hour worker vs a 2 dollar a day worker that company can hire 20 people to do the same jobs of the one american worker. Plus they get about 20 times the work and most likely longer hours due to a lack of labor laws.

So to say that the unions are at fault for american companies going out of business is just not reality. Anyways this is a whole topic by itself and deserves its own thead somewhere else.

To get back to subject, I was under the impression that Pica was moving. Don't know where but I guess what the real queston is, is why? I tend to doubt it was because of a union.

David
Old 10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Best get this one back on track and off the unions or it will be closed down, thanks.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:39 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Yes indeed my reply was deleted. Speak the truth and WAM----I've been into R/c a little over 40 years now and never have we had it so good products offered pricing and choices (still)in the evolution of one of us guys favorite hobby sports we have witnessed the near decimation of American products on the radio control market of which we were once leaders. answers I have none,opinions well that gets one self in trouble. [sm=lol.gif][8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.