Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

FIRST TOP FLITE WARPLANE KIT??????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FIRST TOP FLITE WARPLANE KIT??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:41 PM
GEEBEEPILOT
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRST TOP FLITE WARPLANE KIT??????

I'M INTERESTED IN BUILDING MY FIRST SCALE WAR BIRD, I'VE DECIDED TO GO WITH A TOP FLITE GOLD EDITION KIT .60 SIZE. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ???? I LIKE THE FW-190 AND THE CORSAIR. THANKS.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:58 PM
JAkridge

Default RE: FIRST TOP FLITE WARPLANE KIT??????

I've built the 60 TF Corsair. Nice kit, good plans. The only problem with that kit is the retracts. Not a real quality rotater out there. I used the Robarts, but they are very fussy. If your going with this kit check past threads on the plane for modifications made by others.
IMO, for a first time kit Warbird.. the FW-190,P-51 or the P-47 .60scale . More forgiveing in all areas, building, takeoffs,landing, flying. And better quality retacts to choose from.

Good Luck
Old 08-03-2004, 08:05 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say: Warbird trainer. The T-34 IS THEIR BEST KIT YET. I dont think that the 190 is a good starter warbird due to the gear, looooooooooooooong! But it flies great. The t-34 has all the features of a good first scale warbird. Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63008.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	160361  
Old 08-03-2004, 10:08 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of posts have stated that the P-47 is a good choice. They say it is one of the more stable fliers. I am doing the TF Spit. I would imagine the radial engine planes would offer easier/cleaner engine installations and better cooling. As far as the build goes, I would imagine that all the TF Gold Ed kits require about the same skill level.

Have fun!

Scott
Old 08-03-2004, 10:09 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the p-47 is real easy to fly- doesn't stall easily and when it stalls it doesn't snap/drop a wing.

ed
Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 PM
GEEBEEPILOT

IT LOOKS LIKE THE P-47 MIGHT BE THE WAY TO GO. NOW... DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE FOR SALE?. AT A GOOD PRICE...LOL... I HAVENT SEEN ONE ON E-BAY OR RCO IN A WHILE.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS, MARK
Old 08-04-2004, 01:00 AM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

First choice, P-47. Second spitfire. Both of these planes I own and fly. They both fly very well because of their elliptical wings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16956.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	160460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60889.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	160461  
Old 08-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I’ve just finished my second P-47. Its fun and not that hard to build. I crashed my fist because I’m so stupid and forgot the antenna on my transmitter and haven’t tried the new one yet. Having a really bad summer with lots of rain and wind here in Sweden this year.
It cost only 150USD at Tower Hobbies. Here in Sweden it cost 321USD.

Gunny… Your “Jug†is awesome.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:06 AM
grahamd1
My Feedback: (1)

I'm gonna ask a rather pertinent question, but why have you limited your list to only Top-Flite ?

For both Scale accuracy and flying you wont find much better than Skysharks range (http://www.skysharkrc.com), also skyshark kits are laser cut, not die crushed, and now inlcude all Glass fibre mouldings
Old 08-04-2004, 09:17 AM
photoniq

Graham - I was under the impression that the instructions with the top-flite kits were second to none and shouldn't this help the first time builder more than having a plane that flies better?
photoniq
Old 08-04-2004, 09:42 AM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

I must concur with Graham. I've built both TF and Skyshark and I feel the end result with Skyshark is better. Yes, you can't beat TF's manuals. However, if you feel you're a competent builder, despite not having built that much, then I would agree that Skyshark merits a good look. Go on their website as they have the construction manuals on line. Look thru them and judge for yourself whether or not you feel you could handle it. Top Flite also has their manuals available on line so you can do a comparison.

Either way, you'll find all kinds of help here!

Mark
Old 08-04-2004, 11:44 AM
grahamd1

Also Mike at Skyshark is rewriting all of the manuals after comments received from customers, would TF do that ?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:50 AM
fstevenj

Of the available skyshark kits, which would be the most appropriate for a first warbird. Interested in approx. 1/8 scale.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:57 PM
grahamd1

ORIGINAL: fstevenj

Of the available skyshark kits, which would be the most appropriate for a first warbird. Interested in approx. 1/8 scale.
The 109-E has been the best of the bunch so far, the manual was spot on, the parts were 100% accurate, and it looks right. Best of all the build was very fast, its taking me longer to paint her than the whole build. The SBD is an amazing flyer and is a great head turner.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:26 PM
BadBart

My buddy is building a TF P-47 as his first plane and its coming together beautifully...AND not difficult at all. Me on the otherhand, I chose the TF Corsair as my first larger kit and all I can say is what a pain. The gull wing made sheeting an extra chore and the three piece flaps were a nightmare for me. I would definitely recommend the P-47. I purchased one already built and it flies like a dream.

The only problem I really see with Skyshark is that they don't have a P-47, P-51 or Corsair...right? So it might come down to just which plane you like the most and feel you'd take your time building.

Pat
Old 08-04-2004, 02:32 PM
FW190 Dave

Well, to follow up with what some other people are suggesting. I can't say enough about the Skyshark fw190 a8 kit that I am building. It is my first kit and have had very little problems if any. So from my experience of a 3/4 ways finished kit, I would say that you can't go wrong with them.
The directions are not top flite quality, but the building seems to be straight foward enough that it justifies not wasting all that extra paper. So from My begginers point of view, I don't think I am any worse off than what I would have been with a Top Flite kit. I am probably better off because everything I have read is that the top flite kits build kind of on the heavy side. Anyways good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:13 PM
w0mbat

GEEBEEPILOT: What kind of flying and building experience do you have?

Mike Grey
Skyshark R/C
Old 08-04-2004, 08:03 PM
GEEBEEPILOT

I'VE BEEN FLYING FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS AND I'VE BUILT ABOUT 7 KITS, ANYWHERE FROM A TRAINER, GILES, EXTRA 300, SIG'S SOMTHIN EXTRA...EVEN A GEEBEE, BUT NEVER A SCALE WAR PLANE. I HAVE FLOWN THE TF MUSTANG AND THE CORSAIR SO FLYING SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM, THE SKYSHARK KITS ARE NICE AND LAZER CUTTING IS ALWAYS A PLUS.... NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED
Old 08-04-2004, 08:28 PM
GEEBEEPILOT

WOMBAT,
THAT JAPANESE VAL SURE IS A NICE LOOKING PLANE, AND NO RETRACTS TO MESS WITH....ALTHOUGH THE AIR RETRACT SYSTEM WAS SOMETHING I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO INSTALLING. MARK
Old 08-04-2004, 08:45 PM
w0mbat

Mark - If you have built 7 kits, you will have no problem building any of our kits. Flying will also be no problem - you have enough experience to easily handle any Skyshark Kit.

Mike Grey
Skyshark R/C
Old 08-04-2004, 09:23 PM
BadBart

Mark...just curious. Are you planning on producing a P-51, P-40 or P-47? Would be really nice to have an alternative to Top Flite. Something with a nice manual that is a little bit closer to scale.
Pat
Old 08-04-2004, 09:27 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

who me?!?! I guess you mean Mike!!!

Now that you brought it up an early P-51A, B, or C would be a refreshing alternative to the ever present -D model .. . .

Just a thought Mike

Mark
Old 08-04-2004, 09:35 PM
BadBart

Ahhhh....sorry...I mean Mike!
I think the direction that SkyShark is headed they can take over the Top Flite market. The only thing TF has going for it is the in depth manual. I never understood why other designers or kit cutters don't make manuals aslo with their closer to scale kits. If say Ziroli had a nice manual to go with his P-40...I would have bought that thing before my TF kit just because its bigger and closer to scale.
Hint hint Mike

Pat
Old 08-05-2004, 12:26 AM
MSabol

The impression I get when reading Skyshark's web site is that they specialize in producing models that are considered rare among the kits offered by others. I'm sure there are many that appreciate it based on the number of Skyshark build threads.

The next kit on my build table is going to be a Top Flite P-47 (60 sized). I'm planning on doing a build thread for it. However if I had known about Skyshark before I purchased the kit I probably would have done their FW190D9. With such a nice long nose moment I bet it balances very easily!

I have come to appreciate that there is just no substitute for laser cut kits! I'm sure if Skyshark gets enough kit requests for a 'typical' warbird they would consider doing one.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Henrik_Rosen

ORIGINAL: grahamd1

Also Mike at Skyshark is rewriting all of the manuals after comments received from customers, would TF do that ?
I think TF has a mail function on there site where you can write suggestions or comments about there kits and if there is anything they could do better.
I don’t think there is anywhere here in Sweden where we can buy the Skyshark kits but would be nice to build the Dauntless some day. Is there anywhere on there site where I can download a manual for the Dauntless?

Here you can see some pictures of my P-47, http://www.henrikrosen.com/NewP47.htm .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.