Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

PICA Spitfire 1/5 Please Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

PICA Spitfire 1/5 Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:20 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PICA Spitfire 1/5 Please Help

Moggy:

The ST's already gone. Good engine it was, but needed the dough for bigger and better stuff. Yellow's wing isn't available til next month at the earliest and it's pricey but good. I think I'm going the CJM route for the wing.

Great you mention the Taylor Spit/Vic combo. I'm working on getting the funds for one a buddy of mine's got ready for me. They're beautiful and I prefer the early Marks with the shorter nose and very to scale.

LDM:

I'm learning a lot as I go regarding scale building techniques and I've still yet to get everything into a plane that both flies great and has no little pesky problems with gear or what not----let alone fly at all in the Spit's case! The window of opportunity to get things right is dramatically smaller and I'm developing a better sense of what's required to get a good flying plane, like maybe building two of the same plane over time to rework some of the issues found in the first one. The reward is so great at the end it's hard to not keep at it until it's right.

Here's a couple more shots pre-demise. There wont be any issues doing nice repairs and having a good looking plane afte the crash as damage to the fuse wasn't too severe.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:23 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Forgot to attach:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55485.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	311869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16615.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	311870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92552.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	311871  
Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Sorry to hear about your Spit. While the ST is a "good" engine ( I flew one for years in a MW Extra 300) it only ran good on Powermaster fuel and with some special glow plug. And that was mounted sideways. I finally switched to a BME 44 and holy cow, what a difference. I think that when you rebuild your Spit you will be amazed at the difference a good strong gas engine will make. If you want to utilize the mounting bearers that the ST used, you could go with a BME 50. When I swapped out my ST 3000 (before completion) I cut off the bearers and epoxied on a thicker firewall, then intalled a G62. The plane didn't require a whole lot of runway and flew fast. Now I'm retrofitting a 3W 50, which I'll be able to mostly cowl in. I completely removed the maple bearers and am re-installing my radio equipment so that the servos are "bunked" one above the other right behind the former (I think it's F2). Cooling will be my next issue. I'll be using a Keleo Creations scale exhaust, so I won't need a huge exhaust outlet under the cowl. So I"m thinking about making a retractable cowl flap for exit air, only open when flying (not static). Anyway, take the opportunity to rebuild your Spit to make it better, faster, stronger than before (Plagiarizing the "Six Million Dollar Man" here.....). Good luck on the rebuild, and take heart in knowing we've ALL been there!
Sam