Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Yellow P47 Build up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Yellow P47 Build up

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Yellow P47 Build up

Juvatwad,
I was just reading my addendum for the Jug and it does not say anything about not mounting the servos on the servo covers. Does Yellow have more than one addendum? The Kun was ok for about 3 months then just started to get old! What was your job?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-11-2004, 10:25 PM
mbuck515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee,

if you read ahead in the manual to where you install the rudder it will show you how to set it up, it works good and its nice to have it concealed.

Mitch
Old 10-12-2004, 02:52 AM
heliraptor

Hi Bob

I noticed the hinge covers on ther full size, and like you say, it would make a lot of difference to the look of the tail.

You must have done it, any tips for an easy job there??

Mitch............ I'll get reading, just woke up after working till 3am, a bit of rest then a little more work on the wing. Just had a quick look and I can't see how the Golberg horn has any decent grip / fitment to the rudder. In the manual (page 11 Photo 52) It looks like its just sitting in the le of the rudder. Looking at the link above, surely it should be set stronger in rudder, maybe I'm missing something. Definitely my preferred method though.

Is it me or are they simply put back to back, and glued into the slot ?

Thanks for the replies.

Lee
Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Lee, I'll take some pictures of my stab and rudder so you can see how mine looks. It's pretty easy to do, I used thin ply as the cover and attached it to the fin and stab trailing edges. The full size plane has simple metal covers that are bolted to the TE of the Stab and Fin and extend over the Hinge. These can be removed for access to the hinge.
The horns in the rudder are, as you guessed, back to back and glued in.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:22 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

Hog-

I purchased my kit in the early 1990's, so I may be confusing info in the printed addendum with verbal recs from Yellow via telephone conversations. If I remember correctly, the sum of the recommendations was to add additional spars, move the aileron servo pockets, mount the servo in the pocket instead of on the door, and ensure that the aileron hinge line was located behind the leading edge of the control surface. If any of this is wrong, please, someone else pipe up.

I was the 80th flight surgeon 9/95-10/96. It was a great time (before any split tails showed up).
Old 10-12-2004, 01:42 PM
BobH

I have a newer kit with the servo pockets moved outboard and the ailerons weighted in the LE. I believe the instructions still talk about mounting the servos on the servo covers. That I would avoid and instead place the servos in the wells. I have read about the covers ripping out for what ever reasons and causing crashes.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:34 PM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

I built a yellow P-47 and had no trouble with the alirons. It was a older kit with the non balanced aliros. I powered mine with a u.s.41c.c. gasser. This engine provided more than enough power for the plane. The reason for all the flutter problems is all the fly jockeys who thing the jug need unlimited vertical performance. The plane was designed for scale performance and nothing else. Putting a g-62/ brisson 4.2 in stupid. You guys create your own problems, I is not a yellow aircraft problem. If you fly it like it was designed it will fly fine.

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 10-12-2004, 06:06 PM
juvatwad

Putting a G-62 in the plane isn't "stupid", it's a reasonable choice. It was Yellow Aircraft who blamed the wing failures on large gas engines, and frankly, they're only guessing. Having said this, if they were so confident that it was only the engine choice and not the design that was the problem, I suspect they would flatly recommend against using anything above a G-38, and save a redesign on the wing. The fact that that didn't happen argues against your contention that we created this problem.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:24 PM
MEMPHISBELLE

G-62 is not a choice on yellow's website. If they said do not put a G-62 in the jug do you think everyone would listen, NOT. Because everyone who has never designed a plane knows better. It was eaiser to redesign the wing to handle the bigger engines than listen to all the complaints. 95% of what I fly is warbirds and have numerous compliments on how scale I fly them. This I just one persons opinion. I just think warbirds don't look very good screaming by at mach speeds.

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 10-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

heliraptor I hope I am not jumping all over post. I just had some questions of my own and if you want me to stop asking on your post just let know. I have another question for all you Yellow Jug vets. I purchased my Jug about 2 years ago on a site similar to this one. My question is, how do I know if I have the updated wing? My ailerons have the lead weight in the leading edge. How do I know if my aileron servo pockets are in the new, updated postion? Here are two pics of my wing, maybe this will help determine if I have the updated wing.

Thanks again,
Tony

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75476.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	182171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85815.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	182172  
Old 10-12-2004, 08:48 PM
BobH

I was told by Yellow to not use a G-62 because they thougth it was overpowering it and could cause air frame problems. I have seen planes fly with them and they flew ok but very fast. Way faster than any thing that approached looking realistic. I plan on using a 3.2 in mine but I could use less and it would fly ok. I have a Yellow Spit with a Moki 1.8 and it flies ok with it.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
mbuck515

Tony, you have the newer wing, due to the postion of the airleron servo bay(parallel to the airleron hinge line) and the front and rear spars already installed. we have scale fly ing this up coming weekend up at our field in stow ma, if you want i can send you a flyer for it.

Mitch
Old 10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
MEMPHISBELLE

Need I say more!!!!!

MEMPHISBELLE
Old 10-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

Mitch,
Thanks for the info!!! Glad to hear I have the new wing!!!!!! I would love to go to the fly-in but I won't be around this weekend. My wedding is Friday then off to Florida for a week. Hope to start on the Jug as soon as I get back home.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-13-2004, 05:53 AM
Harigo

I am building my P47 now. I heard that it is better to strengthen the retract mounting. Is that true? How do I do that? I am also thinking of using Futaba S3305 high torque servos on the ailrons and flaps and elevators. Its rated 8.9kg. Is that ok for a plane using a 3W 60cc engine?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:58 AM
heliraptor

Hi Tony

No problem, ask away, you may think of something I don't and after all the post is all about the Yellow 47 build.

I have ordered the servo mounts I linked to earlier in the post, they screw into a ply floor inside the pocket, a pretty sturdy setup and easily removeable if needs be.

I've been a bit slow over the last 2 days due to work, hope to get the wing shaped up, pockets glued in ready for glassing very soon.

The min requirements for servos on the ailerons and flaps is 90 oz, the 3305 is rated at 99oz so they should be fine.

To check other servo specs from Futaba have a look [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/futm0029.html]here[/link]

I must admit I'm not looking forward to glassing the wing with three different grades of glass as recommended. I think the joins will be a real PITA ! and hard to get out.

Lee

BTW - Tony, good luck on your forthcoming marriage
Old 10-13-2004, 07:19 AM
juvatwad

ORIGINAL: MEMPHISBELLE

Need I say more!!!!!

MEMPHISBELLE

No, you definitely don't[sm=tired.gif]
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 AM
heliraptor

Carving and Sanding !!

To save messing about with different grade, how about using the 6oz cloth over the centre section (8" span) then going over the remainder with the 3 oz cloth. A little heavier, but tougher, this will get rid of the join out past the retracts to 0.75 oz cloth.

Any thoughts ???

Lee

Name:	Ax73230.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	182385  
Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM
mbuck515

Harigo,
the landing gear mounts are strong enough you dont need to re-enforce them any.

Mitch
Old 10-13-2004, 10:49 AM
BobH

I glassed my Spit with 3 different grades of glass but I didn't do that on the Jug. I used two, one for the center section and then a light grade that went over the entire wing. The heavy grade extended past the retract section and then the light grade went from the wing center out to and including the glass wing tips. Makes for a good finish.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 AM
heliraptor

Hi Bob

Sounds good to me, as I said above, 9 oz across centre, then 3 oz all the way out.

Lee
Old 10-14-2004, 04:48 AM
Harigo

Thanks for the replies on the retract mount and servos. Will keep you posted on how I fair on the building.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:32 AM
heliraptor

Hi

Right, I'm all sanded and shaped !!

Working on the aileron and flap fitments now.

Are there any more scale like hinges that can be used on the flaps ??

If so can you point them out and the best method used to fit them please.

The Robarts are okay but looking at the plans quite a big clearance slot will have to be cut, a shot of the underside of one of your P47 flaps would be great.

Lee
Old 10-14-2004, 11:20 AM
mbuck515

Lee,
i would post a pic of my setup but i have no idea on how to load pics on to rcu. if you cauld tell me how i would gladly post a pic

Mitch
Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 PM
heliraptor

Mitch

Click on the post reply button

Type in your message as normal

At the bottom there is a file upload button, click it and another window will open where you browse on your own HD to select the picture you want to post (has 4 slots so you can upload 4 at once)

Follow it though and they'll be uploaded and linked in with the post.

See below

Lee

Name:	Qo39543.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	182747  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.