Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Plan 5 steps ahead of what you are doing and build and think light

Cheers Bob T
Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go to the front and start reading. Not only is it informative but its also entertaining. By the time you read it youwill think we are your long lost friends that you just ran across.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 PM
athflyby
My Feedback: (9)

As you read through this thread take notes on the different stages of the build that you think is important. For example, Landing gear stage, canopy stage, etc.. I even jogged down page and post if I wanted to look back at a certain section.(saves a lot of time since this post is so long.)This forum takes you through about any problem you may encounter and if not just ask .Good luck on your build and keep us informed. Regards Allen
Old 02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Tseres

Got the servos in the wing. I'm also trying to learn how to program the new to me JR 9303. Going to try and mix the flaps today. So far the only thing that 's mixed is me. I do have the manual printed out. A little reading should help my problem.
Has anyone tried to move the rudder servo just behind the battery tray, so you don't have to extend the push rod? I don't think it will have any effect on the balance cause it's so close to the balance point. The one oz. of extra wood shouldn't matter for the AUW ether.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
RWHorton

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Got the servos in the wing. I'm also trying to learn how to program the new to me JR 9303. Going to try and mix the flaps today. So far the only thing that 's mixed is me. I do have the manual printed out. A little reading should help my problem.
Has anyone tried to move the rudder servo just behind the battery tray, so you don't have to extend the push rod? I don't think it will have any effect on the balance cause it's so close to the balance point. The one oz. of extra wood shouldn't matter for the AUW ether.
Tom I wouldn't think it would hurt. I actually moved all the servos behind the cockpit and so far the cg seams to be ok. It is a little tail heavy right now but I have so much stuff going up front I really need the tail weight.

Ron
Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: rt3232

I'll take building over ARF's any day, Still strugling with my first one[>:] Ba-Hum-Bug But it will fly this spring, maybe not for long but it will fly.

cheers Bob T
Bob you will just have to pick the right barfs. This one only took a day and a half to put together. Of course its electric and not much to put together on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87768.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1377186  
Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Tseres

Got the servos in for the control surfaces. Everything is working slick as a whistle.
I did move the rudder servo behind the original servo plate. If I had it to do over again I would redesign the servo tray area. I didn't know any better when I built the fuselage.
Air valve tray next. Decided not to mess around with the mixing in the radio right now.

Name:	Lj24159.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1377251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30834.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1377252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15979.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1377253  
Old 02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
heritageman
My Feedback: (4)

Tseres,looking good. How would you redo the servo tray ?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 PM
GSK

Interesting how we all do things a little differently.
I have been building for a month now and i am in the process of fitting servos, linkages ,horns before i sheet the lower half of the fusalage.this will allow me to doany mods required before the fuzz is closed in
I have moved the tray back to allow access to the tank and space for a smoke tank in the future.
The tray layout seems fine as it is in the pic.
The horn on the rudder is screwed onto a 1/2 sq 1in long Spuce block inserted into the rudder as i do not like the way they are done in the plans, that small plywood plate is a recipe for disaster.
All switches are internal and accessed from a hatch in the top in front of the canopy, you can see where they will stick through the ply plate.
The space is quite large so all batteries will be up there also
All controls will be up and working soon then onto the rest of the sheeting.
What a great Kit ,very quick and easy to build ,so far anyway
Regards
Graeme

Name:	Ca81560.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1377477  
Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom, did I see a pic of an imac guy trying to hover a plane on that sim? blasphemy!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: heritageman

Tseres,looking good. How would you redo the servo tray ?
I would move the elevator servos out to the side and use only one servo in the center for pull pull on the rudder and the tailwheel off of the same servo arm. You have to plan for that.
Since this is my first build since 1993 and this is a far cry from a Sig Cub. There were just some things I didn't think of in time. It was supposed to be built to plans and covered with Monocote. We all know how that went.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Tom, did I see a pic of an imac guy trying to hover a plane on that sim? blasphemy!
Got you. He was going vertical out of control.
Maybe he was "an IMAC Guy". I'll ask him.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,
just a thought. Not real keen on those Dubro connectors, they have a habit of popping open when put under a lot of laod. I'd either be putting some tube up over them or swapping em out.
cheers
Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Tom,
just a thought. Not real keen on those Dubro connectors, they have a habit of popping open when put under a lot of laod. I'd either be putting some tube up over them or swapping em out.
cheers
Thanks Pete
I Like to use ball links where I can. This is a place where a little forward planning would have helped. The rods would have to be bent to use them. I tried and it put the push rod in a bind. Bad angle, the servos are to high or the rods are to low. Take your pick. I have springs to go over the clevis' but I don't put them on till I'm ready to do the final adjustment.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Tseres

Got to thinking about the clevises. I don't like them anymore then Pete. so I figured out a way to use the ball ends..
Also got the air valve bracket made and mounted. and finished stuffing the switch housing. This is also where I'm putting the air valve.

Name:	Ca80709.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1378868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84911.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1378869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88151.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1378870  
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM
rt3232

Old Tom

Have you done a leak check on you air valve?? reason I ask is I had 2 that leaked real bad my LHS swaped them out and the new ones still leak but I only luse 20% in 6 hrs, so it is no problem at the field with my curent birds, but if I do another bird with retracts I will use a different valve. I would also recomend checking the brass T's as I had 2 in a pack that would not pass air.

I realy like your switch bay nice and neet[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Cheers Bob T

PS still not sure if our crew is going to Toledo this year
Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Tseres

Old Tom

Have you done a leak check on you air valve?? reason I ask is I had 2 that leaked real bad my LHS swaped them out and the new ones still leak but I only luse 20% in 6 hrs, so it is no problem at the field with my curent birds, but if I do another bird with retracts I will use a different valve. I would also recomend checking the brass T's as I had 2 in a pack that would not bass air.

Cheers Bob T

I read where you should lubricate the valves and cylinders before you try to use them. The O rings dry out from sitting on a shelf and they need to be lubed to seal. I red this on a thread but can't remember which one. They also mentioned to use some kind of refrigeration lubricant. i'm going to visit a repair shop and ask them what they have. I still need to get a pump before I think of putting air in anything.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to thinking about the clevises. I don't like them anymore then Pete. so I figured out a way to use the ball ends..
Also got the air valve bracket made and mounted. and finished stuffing the switch housing. This is also where I'm putting the air valve.

ahh that looks better, good job. Couple of springs on the rudder clevis to be sure, to be sure
Old 02-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Tseres

You said that last year. I'll be there. Hopefully Eugene will feel well enough this year to attend.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

ahh that looks better, good job. Couple of springs on the rudder clevis to be sure, to be sure
The Clevis' are on the tail wheel servo and they will be replaced after I pick some more up from the LHS. I ran out.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM
rt3232

Old Tom

Have you done a leak check on you air valve?? reason I ask is I had 2 that leaked real bad my LHS swaped them out and the new ones still leak but I only luse 20% in 6 hrs, so it is no problem at the field with my curent birds, but if I do another bird with retracts I will use a different valve. I would also recomend checking the brass T's as I had 2 in a pack that would not bass air.

Cheers Bob T

I read where you should lubricate the valves and cylinders before you try to use them. The O rings dry out from sitting on a shelf and they need to be lubed to seal. I red this on a thread but can't remember which one. They also mentioned to use some kind of refrigeration lubricant. i'm going to visit a repair shop and ask them what they have. I still need to get a pump before I think of putting air in anything.

When I had the secound leeke valve I tried refrig silicone grease, reg/air lube ol and some dab of grease from am hydl/cylender repair shop all worked to a point but most leakage was from the bad thread match on the needles, in or out and lock nut jammed good and tight
they still leaked

If you pump up the air befor each flight you should not nave a problem and just going for aheads up

Cheers Bob T
PS I think pete OZ had the same broblem and switched to a different valve noted some ware bach in the thread/
Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Tseres

Thanks Bob for the Heads Up. All I can do for now is hope mine don't leak.
This plane will go through rigorous system testing before its maiden. I know well enough that no mater what I do, it may only have one flight in it. I'll do everything I know to avoid that including a better then me pilot.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:10 PM
RWHorton

Tom is this a robart valve? If so I would recommend getting a UPC valve, sierra sells them as do others. My experience is to test the system with the engine running. Check the psi before and after you run the engine for at least the time of a flight. Nothing worse than a gear up landing, well a maybe an all out crash is worse. I went through this on my first air retracts about 15 years ago, I wanted to pull my hair out till I spent 50 buck on a good valve, never had a issue since.

Also treat the plane as if your life depended on it. I mean treat it as if it were a real plane you are going to fly in. ANd on this kind of plane make a check list and go through it everytime. Once I started doing it my misshaps have been very few.

Anyway she looks good and good luck with the madian this spring.

Ron
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Tseres

Great advise.
I'll do the leak down test with the engine running. If it leaks I'll call Sierra.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 PM
GSK

The Robart valves are totaly different to those used many years ago,i still have one of that design and it will be never used .
Tom! as long as the O-rings are lubricated and can move freely you will have no problems, i have countless number of landings in modelsusing that valve in the system with no problems at all.
O- rings are a very efficient method of sealing air in valves ,cylinders etc , i have been using Pnuematic systems for over 40 years and they really are trouble free as long as you obey some simple commonsense rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.