Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

BIG CORSAIR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Blackcloudaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG CORSAIR

I recently purchased plans for a 108" w/s Corsair on Ebay and am now starting to wonder if this may be more project than I am ready for. I've been building and flying for 35 years but my biggest planes have been .60 size. I have not recieved the plans yet and am curous if they are any good, we'll see. I'd like to build and fly a big corsair but when I start thinking of an 9 foot wingspan, I wonder if I might be losing it.

I love to build and can see where bigger might be easier in some respects. On the other hand I have no experience with Giant planes, engines, servos, etc. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: BIG CORSAIR

Sound like a good project. Start working out now in anticipation of all the sanding you have in front of you

Take your time and enjoy the build. BUT remember to start a thread here and keep us posted. Can't have too many Corsair threads[8D]

Happy New Year, Pete
Old 12-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Blackcloudaircraft

Good Points to consider! Will do on keeping you posted. I'll need all the help I can get and am sure to have lots of questions. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Happy New Year to you Pete,

Clay
Old 12-30-2004, 02:15 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you have the engine and retracts, wheels etc. you are going to use before you start building. Plan on spending around 800.00 to $10000 .00 on good servos. I may be a little high here if you use Hitec servos. When in doubt about size use the stronger servo. You do not need digital servos, but good double ball bearing metal gear servos, the new composite gear Hitec are excellent also.
Use all heavy duty switches with larger gauge wires. Make sure all your servo extentions are of heavier gauge wire and have gold contacts. Radical RC can help you out there. I personally use his leads and switches. Buy good batteries. In other words, you can not use the same equipment you are used to using in your 60 size birds, this includes your hinges.
Building big is no different other than the parts are bigger and you have to be aware of the loads you are going to put on the joints. Gussett accordingly.
hope this helps.
Good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Blackcloudaircraft

Excellent advice. Thanks and Happy New Year to you!

Clay
Old 12-30-2004, 03:53 PM
cknaack

Clay,

As many would atest to, "bigger is better". Don't let the size intimidate you. If you can swing it, I would stongly suggest that you try to build the wing so that the wing panels are detachable for many reasons, including ease of transportation and to lower the amount of hanger rash. As with most radial engine fighters, you will most likely have to contend with a tail heavy bird, pre-balancing. With this in mind, build the tail light. I am also of the opinion that a larger engine (more power) is better than an extra 2 lbs. of weight in the nose. You can always fly it with less than full throttle, but then again, why would you want to? I agree with the other comments regarding servos. When in doubt, err on the side of caution. A PCM receiver is a must, unless you are planning on another means of "fail safe" in case of radio trouble.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Regards

Craig
Old 12-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Blackcloudaircraft

Thanks Craig,

Thats good advice and encouragement. I'm looking forward to seeing the plans. I am also wondering if maybe I should opt for Ziroli plans or other that has pre-cut parts available as well as more sources for other items (landing gear, canopy, cowling, etc.) , not to mention the fact that many others have already built these and may have some input on different aspects of construction.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Blackcloud, I believe you have Bud Nosen plans. My friend just got threw with his. There is little detial on the plans. They where drawn up in the 80's.

It has been test flown and was successful.

108"ws 3W 150 r2 inline/ 48lbs.

If you need any more info, let me know. Rick (the builder) doesn't post on RCU much, so I will help you all I can. Maybe I can get him to chime in.

HEY RICK!!! ARE YOU THERE!!!

I hope the pics look OK my computer has a bug and is very sick. One day I will take it to to Doctor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78365.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	208419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49322.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	208420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45948.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	208421  
Old 12-30-2004, 04:44 PM
FastPass
My Feedback: (6)

Clearly, one should consider that the amount of time, effort, and expense for a large scale warbird is something that requires much thought before starting. Therefore I would caution you that the cost of the plans is the most insignificant part. What you should consider is the availability of parts. i.e. canopy, fiberglass cowl, retracts, etc for the particular plane. You might be better off to build a Corsair that's still in production such as a Ziroli or Meister Scale. If the plans you have are Nosen's , then you would have to modify and beef up the wing spar because Nosen designed his quarter scale planes to use geared .60 size engines, not gassers.

Best Wishes,

Frank
Old 12-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Blackcloudaircraft

excellent points to consider. I am curious if these are Nosen's plans and if they are will probably opt for Ziroli. I'll have to check out Meister's as I am not familiar with them.

Many Thanks for the input and Happy new year!

Clay
Old 12-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

If it is a Nosen, You can still get a cowl. I believe fiberglass specialties has them. I'll check with rick. Rick also made a plug for the canopy and he formed a few extras.

From watching Rick build his, it looks like a lot of work with a lot of trial and error.

It uses robart gear He has a flight pack and the air system in the wing and a flight pack in the Fuse. The tailwheel is servo opperated. Just bolt the wing on and fly, Manual sliding canopy. Gear door covers and scale flaps and scale exshast exit location.

It is a sight to behold in the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90985.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	208449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73017.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	208450  
Old 12-30-2004, 07:55 PM
cknaack

Clay,

I am going with the Ziroli option. I purchased the plans and the Fiberglass fuse. The hobby shop just called to tell me that the Robart 150Z's are in and ready for pickup. I have also decided on the Laser cut wood kit from Precision Cut Kits. Larry offers everything needed for the fiberglass fuse option, as do other kit cutters. I went with the lazer kit and the fiberglass fuse due to the time factor. I'd like to cut the kit myself, but I simply do not have the time. The Ziroli stuff builds and flys really well, from what I have seen and heard. The only major modification that I am planning is to build the wing so that the outer panels are removable, like the Byron models did. I should be starting it this year, after I finish the Yellow P-40E on the bench now.
Another benefit of going with the Ziroli design is the support and wealth of knowledge that exists here on RCU. As you can see by the responses so far, there is no shortage of information on the Corsair in general. Just do a search here for "Ziroli Corsair" and see what you come up with.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I just finished doing a BT 75" ws corsair and will start planning for a Ziroli next. This is what I was eventually working up to. The Ziroli has a great reputation for building and flying and has a bunch of off the shelf support equipment. Thats the reason I choose Ziroli. And mostly cause I want it to be an everyday flyer. I just love flying corsairs!
Edwin
Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Blackcloudaircraft

Thanks for all the replies and insight. I am grateful for everyone's knowledgable input.

Clay Sevier