Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Mustang Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:57 AM
DamonPeary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang Advice

I've always dreamed of building a Byron Original P-51 Mustang and have found one, unbuilt in a box. Can anyone offer any insights to whether I'll regret purchasing an Original or should I wait for Iron Bay to produce their 2 wing version? Will I have problems finding parts if anything breaks on the BO P-51? It has a 4 blade prop and an original engine (is a 12 year old engine as reliable as newer versions?) The asking price is about $950. Does anyone know of another company's P-51 that I should consider and why? Thanks in advance....
Old 12-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mustang Advice

The only thing I would caution you on is purchasing the Iron Bay. I never ever purchase the first round of any plane if it's an Arf. Your just begging for problems. There are enough suckers out their to learn the hard way and make the mistakes for you. Wing Failures and Stab failures total out a plane and everything in it and all you get back (if your lucky) is a new plane which is not even close to the total dollar amount you lost.

ORIGINAL: DamonPeary

I've always dreamed of building a Byron Original P-51 Mustang and have found one, unbuilt in a box. Can anyone offer any insights to whether I'll regret purchasing an Original or should I wait for Iron Bay to produce their 2 wing version? Will I have problems finding parts if anything breaks on the BO P-51? It has a 4 blade prop and an original engine (is a 12 year old engine as reliable as newer versions?) The asking price is about $950. Does anyone know of another company's P-51 that I should consider and why? Thanks in advance....
Old 12-30-2004, 02:02 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first off, the Byron/ Iron Bay Mustang are one in the same, except where they are produced. Is this the one piece wing kit? If it is , it will still be a great flying plane. The two piece wing is easier to finish because the landing gear is installed in the glass fuse and is a stronger mount. Any way make sure you glass all the foam pieces and then paint them, do not econokote them. also while on the glassing, if doing so over the foam without skins, use one and a half once cloth instead of 3/4 oz. cloth. When glassing over foam you need the thicker glass to keep from punching through the glass when handling the wings. On the subject of a 12 year old engine. If it has been properly stored and lubricated it should be as good as it was brand new. Just check it closely for internal rust and make sure the bearings are free. You could opt out for a Moki 2.10 to fly this plane and not have it stick out the side of the fuse as with the prop drive.
If the price includes the kit, landing gear and engine i would say it is a good deal. Course i do not know what engine they are giving you.
Does it have the Byron wheels with it?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:54 PM
DamonPeary

Gary,

Thanks for your thoughts. I believe the retractable landing gear is all original, however the current owner did say that I might want to put on a Robart set. Its got a 41 or 42 Quadra Engine. Let me know if you have any other suggestions/ ideas.

Happy New Year!!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:18 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2 cents ...

Flew one of these for years on the prop drive 4 blade set up. I would strongly recommend NOT using it. It looks and sounds cool.. but lacks much performance. It will fly the plane just OK. Loops ( round ) are not really possible as the plane just loses too much speed and falls off.

It does look cool though .. nice scale setup if all you are doing is flying around. These untis are pretty easy to sell ( $200 aprox ). There are floks looking for them. Will help offset the cost. Original gear is "OK"... I used nylon bolts to mount them in the one pc wing.. glass the heck out of the wing so it is strong !

I would put a G 62 / 2 blade setup in it.. my buddy did and all I can say is WOW !!! This is a great setup... I wish mine flew like that .. very fast, powerful. Fast !! He used a 22-10 Mejlik.

Good Luck..
Old 12-30-2004, 11:16 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Build the plane as it comes, at $900 it is a steal if it is complete. The mustang flies very scale like and to many it is underpowered. If you want to get the kit, change the retracts and get a new engine prop combo then don't buy the Byron. There are many kits out there that will suit you fine. IFLYRC-RCU says it just right, the plane looks and sounds cool, it is also a classic. It flies well and the fact that IFLYRC-RCU flew his for years is proof of that. If all you are getting for your $900 is an airframe then get a composite arf or another modern kit. If you want a Mustang with the best looking prop disc when flying, and blades that you can see spinning just like the real thing then get the Byron. Anyone can have a rocketship or a pattern plane that looks like a Mustang, not too many have the chance to own a Byron with the reduction gear. If you don't want it sell it at a profit to someone who will appreciate it and get what you want. It is still a nice plane no matter what powerplant and retracts but believe me, it works well just as it came from the factory, Byron retracts are still working on 25 pound planes all over and still giving good service.
My two"pennorth.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 12-31-2004, 10:39 AM
DamonPeary

Dragoon...

Great information. I think I'll stick with the Byron. I don't need to do stunts with it, I'd just like to fly it around and enjoy it. Authenticity is important to me. By the way, I've read a few posts talking about hanger-rot, what is it and how do I avoid it? How long does it typically take someone to complete a project such as this? I'm assuming it will take more than a year. I'm building a basswood P-38 and a Corsair with my 6 year old son. Every night when I come home from work I barely get enough time to choke down a quick bite before he's begging me to go downstairs and start building. He's really enjoying this and I think a big project such as the Byron would be a great experience for us both (and a great memory.)

How much $ should I expect to allocate toward completing the project with the best equipment? What type of tools will I need? I'm a novice but good with my hands so I think with a lot of patience and care we'll end up with a beautiful mustang. Are there any other models I should consider which are more reliable or more authentic than the Byron (ex. PICA's Balsa P-51?) Thanks again for your input.

Damon
Old 12-31-2004, 05:18 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello!
Sorry! But I must advise you not to "build" the Byron P-51.
If you haven't built models before using epoxy and fiberglass I strongly advise you to get some more models under your belt before building the P-51.
You see building this large P-51 requires knowledge in using 24 epoxy (not the glue variety), glassfiber, microballoons, and a lot of other skills that you may learn having built 10 or more models.
These "glass airplanes" doesn't "build" like an ordinary balsa airplane, they are totally different to build and demand more skills than it takes to build a balsa Top-Flite P-51 or Corsair.
So start building one of those instead and learn the basic skills of glassing and building light.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 12-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

If you don't snap it up at that price, someone else will.

Keep it original! Without that 4 blade prop, it is just another P-51 on the flightline. The Byron is unique, attracts a lot of attention, and people like to see it fly. ...and it looks great just sitting there. (..and it is waaaay off scale..but most folks don't notice).

You have to plan ahead when flying it, and it does lack some capabilities compared to aerobatic planes, but it is not an aerobat! The full size one only cruised at 200kts! (My father in law flew them..)

If the 4 blade prop doesn't turn your crank, you'd be better off to look at a different plane....