Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Zero colors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 AM
genek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero colors

[] I am building the Northwest Hobby Zero { 82"ws} and I would like to paint it w/ the lighter gray color and a black cowl. Most of the Zeros I see are in the olive drab or green color. I am concerned about being able to see the gray color in flight. I can't recall seeing any other planes in gray; I would like your input. Thank you, Gene
Old 01-09-2005, 09:33 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Zero colors

I've seen some combat sized Zeros (and they were real screamers) that had the black cowl and were semi-gloss white. The color (white ) isn't really accurate, but it stood out pretty well on a sunny day. Actually, the true color of these 'light grey' Zeros is the subject of much debate: it may actually be more of a biege, or light tan. A Japanese person has refered to it as "Ame iro", which interprets into somthing like light caramel. To support this, he states that shipboard fighters were given a coat of varnish, which turned the base color (whatever it was) into the caramel color.
The great thing about Zeros is that those 'meatballs' really stand out, I know this from a Great Planes Zero ARF that I had.
Like most combat aircraft, the color(s) were intended to make it more difficult to see, depending on the environment that it usually saw action. This makes it more difficult for us modelers to see out aircraft well, overcast skies usually make things worse. I have lost an all dark blue Corsair due to becoming dis-oreintated/ not being able to determine which way it was going, from a combination of having it too close to the sun and becoming momentarily distracted by a (RC) helicopter taking off nearby. When I looked up, all I saw was a silloette, and far away. Couldn't tell if it was banking left and going away or banking right and coming towards me. I guessed wrong and didn't have enough altitude to keep it in the air.
The point is: we need to be constantly aware of the attitude of our aircraft, as most of us at some point or another will loos good visual refernce, and will have to rely on our memory. Again, with bright colored sport planes, this isn't as important. But with most warbirds, it is if you want to keep yopur warbird.

Some one posted a whole lotta color Zero schemes awhile back, I'll see if I can dig it up (search) and bring it back to the top.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:24 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I was at the A.F. museum a few weeks ago and saw their newly restored A6M2. I was surprised at the color which is a very light grey green.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:55 PM
bigchap

do it in the zero model 21 prototype colour which was bright orange!you won't be able to miss that!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

I know someone with a big YA Zero 88" thats painted the white color scheme. On a cloudy overcast day, it is almost impossible to tell if it is coming or going unless you are flying it. He said there has been times when he was unsure himself for a few seconds and it scares the hell out of him. He doesn't fly it much on overcast days anymore. I don't have this problem with my "green" 80" WM Zero. Check my gallery for photos. Paul
Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 AM
ilike2fly
My Feedback: (23)

The carrier Japanese grey is cool looking on the ground but virtually impossible to see in the air. That is the reason most of the R/C Zero's are green. I have 3 of them, all green. The Japanese grey is really a grayish-green color. Most people who see the true Japanese grey say it is light green.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 PM
genek

Hey guys; I really thank you for the input. I did see the post on [color schemes] thank you. I am getting the concept that if I do use the lighter paint scheme it will be a sunny day-blue sky only airplane. Gene