Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Model Tech P 47 Engine Choice??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Model Tech P 47 Engine Choice??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Model Tech P 47 Engine Choice??

Just acquired a Model Tech P 47. This plane has a 67 in. span. Should come out around 10 lbs. RTF. Any ideas on engines? Would a 91 4 stroke fly this with authority? What size gas engine would fit? If I go glow I want to put in a 4 stroke.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 01-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Model Tech P 47 Engine Choice??

Yes, a .91 4-stroke would fly this plane just fine. Engine choice depends on personal preference. A 1.00 or 1.20 would fly the plane with authority.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do a search on Modeltech P-47 here, you will fiind that the majority of them were powered by the Magnum .91 four stroke. Although there are a few on here that had larger engines.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:01 AM
F-15 Flameout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check6,

Did you just purchase the P-47? Can you tell me if your kit contains wing fairing? I just purchased one, and it looks like they are missing? Also, the wheel cups are a lot different from the documentation. Other than that everything looks great. There are several threads on here on modifications and power sources. I am putting a Thunder Tiger .91 in it.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:36 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

A friend of mine flies this plane with a Magnum 91 4-stroke. It flies about scale with this engine. Since he had to add about 8-oz to the nose he said he would use a 120 if he had to do it again.

Well, I have a G26 converted to electronic ignition that I'm trying to shoe-horn into my Model Tech P-47. I don't know if it will work out but I'm going to give it a shot. It weighs about a pound more than a 91 4-stroke, but most people I have polled needed about 8-oz in the nose to balance with a 91 4-stroke anyway. To help offset the extra weight I will be using Hitec HS-225 servos (1 oz each) on the ailerons and rudder, an HS-5245MG (1.1 oz) on the elevator, and an HS-81 (0.6 oz each) for throttle and retract valve. I will be upgrading the stock retracts with Robart pneumatics and robostruts, and will be using larger wheels, 3" minimum and I think I can get 3-1/4" in there. I'm going to try to power both the receiver and the ignition with a single 2200mAh Li-Ion (it will have multiple leads coming off the battery). The battery, regulator and switch weigh 5-oz together. I'm shooting (or should I say "preying") for an all up weight of 12-lbs or less. I think I can, I think I can, I think.....
Old 01-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Jerry T
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Modeltech P-47 with a Magnum 91. I alway get comments on how scale it flys. Had to install battery and micro switch on throttle servo to get a good idle though. That I would highly recommend for smooth trouble free idleing on an cantakerous 4 stroke mounted upside down. Biggest problem is the solar covering, sucks. Guess that's why the went to Monocoat.