Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What do you think about the Magnum 4 strokes?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What do you think about the Magnum 4 strokes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do you think about the Magnum 4 strokes?

I just put a post in on the Model Tech P 47 as far as engine choices. What do you guys think about the Magnum 91. and 120 4 stroke? How does it compare quality wise, ease of operation, reliability? to the OS and Saito engines? I have never owned and run the Magnum and would like to give it a try.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 01-12-2005, 12:59 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do you think about the Magnum 4 strokes?

Magnum engines are extremely popular at my club, and lots of guys use their 91 4-stroke. I have seen very few problems with them, the worst being high idle speed. One of my friends just cannot get his 91 to a low idle, it just won't slow down without quiting. Its not a new engine either, he must have at least 4-5 gallons through it. Other than that particular engine I haven't seen any problems. They make good power and start after only a couple seconds on the starter. At $179 (and sometimes on sale for $159) they are a hell of a bargain. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:01 PM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

Not as much power as OS or Saito. I like OS, dependable, powerful and long lasting.

S1
Old 01-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnums are decent engines, based on the ones I've seen at my field. They can take a long time to break in. Slow idle can be achieved if enough time is spent tweaking the low end. The ones I've seen can idle around 2400 rpm inverted. As for my own warbirds, all of them will get YS four strokes.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:51 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have the magnums 4 stroke , the 52 was my first and low idle reliability disappeared with better break in .
I just bought to two more a 91 and a 120 .
I use to be an OS guy 100% with two strokes but I had just as much inconsistancy with OS thenany other moter . So I decided to try a magnum , took my time breaking them in and have not moved since . I almost bought an ASP on Ebay , bid on a 120 for $180 because Magnum and ASP are from the same plant .

As far as quality if I want top end 4 cycle, YS is the best in my opinion and based on other club members , but Magnum is the best value .
Old 01-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Redback

I have two Magnum 4 strokes, a 52 and a 120.

They are not the most powerful motor around, however I have had no problems with either of mine. My verdict would be that they represent very good value for what you pay for them.

BTW, I bought them after briefly owning a Magnum 2 stroke and vowing never to buy another Magnum!

Terry
Old 01-12-2005, 04:11 PM
P-40LUVR

Love my Magnum .91 4 stroke!
Starts easy and VERY few deadsticks,mine idles @ around 2600-3200 rpm.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:21 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one Saito, (2x) OS, and a magnum 1.2 I’m presently running in Pica Focke Wulf 190 d-9, KMP Hurricane, TF HW Zero, and Model Tech P-51D ( the old one) respectively. The Magnum and Saito are ABC construction so they have to be run at expected temp’s to break-in, if you run them to rich they will never break-in. the OS’s are ringed so they take more of a standard break-in, and also like castor because it creates carbon which the rings use to lube the cylinder walls. My magnum was always a little less powerful than the other engines until one day I lost the muffler (the backend fell off). I was able to get a OS muffler at the local hobby shop and with it there is no difference in power.

My P-51 weights 11.5# with 762 squars of wing and it flys it well (key word is fly’s as in on the wing). My Hollywood Zero weights 8.5# with 713squars of wing and an OS 120 putting out the same RPM’s and it is a rocket ship.

If I were to tell you which to get I would have no problem recommending the magnum 1.2. Anything smaller will limit what you can do with it. By that I mean if you want to bore holes in the sky push the throttle all the way to the stops, if you want to fly scale then pull it off the stops a few clicks. But if you get a small engine and it is not enough to really bore holes in the sky you may find your self getting board with it after a while.

I hope this info. Helps

Joe
Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, if your Magnum is a 4-stroke, it is not ABC. It has a ring. All Magnum 4-strokes are ringed motors.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Aren't the Saito 4-strokes ringed also?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:56 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, memory is a terrible thing to wast. I'm probably thinking of one of the engines I put new bearings in this winter?

Fox .74
Enya .60

Joe
Old 01-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Richard L.

Yes, Saito's are ringed 4-strokes also and must be broken in while running slobbery rich below 4K rpm.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:22 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

I have a couple of Magnum motors one being a 91 4 stroke. Like Richard says it takes a little bit of tweaking to get it right but once you do it idles well. It is mounted inverted and I can say that an 1/8 of a turn on the low end can make a huge difference. My advice is leave the cowl off and take the time to get it right then put the cowl back on and have fun.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:25 PM
MSabol

I love my 0.91 Magnum 4 stroke. Mounted inverted in a Senior Telemaster. I use on-board glow power (I leave it on all the time), and it will idle at about 1800-2000 rpm with no problem. It started new on the 3rd flip and has run fine ever since. On this particular one, I am only on the 2nd gallon, but I broke it in rich in the air and it has been a dream. Got it from Tower for $159 using one of their (many) email discount codes.

Funny enough, I bought a 0.91 Saito and haven't even been able to start it yet. It appears to not want to draw fuel for a prime for some reason. I have not run in to this in the past with Saito's, and have had very good luck with them in the past.

I would also like to try a YS in the future.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:04 PM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

I've been very happy with every Magnum engine I've had. I've only owned 1 2 stroke. For the money the 4 strokes represent a good value and are very easy to handle. In terms of power I've found the 52 to be every bit as good as my OS 52 but they don't measure up to similarly sized Saitos in that regard. I've never owned a YS so can't comment there. I've got 8 of them so I guess I put my money where my mouth is. I also have 4 OS and 1 Saito.

Chris
Old 01-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: MSabol

I use on-board glow power (I leave it on all the time), and it will idle at about 1800-2000 rpm with no problem.
You won't need that on-board glow bandage on an inverted YS. After one tank on the bench, a YS will idle at 1500 rpm all day long without any help.

Check it out: [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/h9_corsair/movies/SlowIdle.wmv]YS Idle[/link]
Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 PM
JAkridge

2 Magnums later.......I went to Saito and never looked back.
All Run like tops.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:25 AM
hgiles
My Feedback: (4)

No question Saitos and Magnums are both worth the money (relatively speaking and depending on who you are).
Old 01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

I guess I am in Richard's camp on this one - the ONLY 4-strokes I have purchased to date are 2 YS 110 FZ's, and I plan to purchase more WHEN they become available (usually sold out). They are a phenomenal powerplant and I have yet to hear anything bad or even mediocre about the YS's. My engine of choice since the 1970s has nearly always been the O.S., but after hearing nothing but great reviews on the YS 4-strokes, I went that route for my first 4-stroke. I would think that for the money, a Magnum can't be beat, but then again, I don't know or haven't heard the longevity of the Magnum. Based on the input you have received so far, the Magnum is probably worth trying.....

randy

Old 01-13-2005, 03:08 PM
lukeshort

I have an OS 50, and a Saito 65. Both excellant quality and excellant performing engines. The Saito took me a year to break in but I now regard it my best 4 stroke. Will idle @ 1800. I also have 4 magnum .91 4-strokes. For the money they can't be beat. I had to adjust the valve clearance on all and fiddle awhile with the low setting. They idle @ about 2200 and will turn a 14 X 6 2 blade prop at 11,200 rpm. I have one in my TF Corsair with a 14 X 7 three blade and it turns 8400 rpm with 20% more thrust than the recommended 14 X 6 2 blade with no over-heating problems. I use 15% Ritch's Brew. Never have had any problems what-o-ever. Easy starting and never have had a flame-out. You can see I'm a big fan and that's why I have 4 of em.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 PM
IronCross

I have two Saito .56's and two .72's... All great running engines .... I however started having problems with broke (plastic) back plates and air leakes where the intake goes into the head... I started buying Magnum 4 strokes at half the price (when on sale with tower discount) and have never looked back... I have two .70's and three .91's... They all run great... I have not measured the idle rpm on them but it is slow enough to let the plane sit stationary on the runway and all I need... As for power I think they are equal to a OS and a little less then the Saito... Great engines backed by some of the best service around...
Old 01-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Guys,
Great feedback. I guess it's like the car question. Which is better Ford or Chevy?? Still undecided and may even go to a small gasser, but this could start a whole other discussion.LOL
Thanks for the input.
Fred
Hey Bossman, just recently sold a factory 67 fastback GT "S" code. I have previously owned 8 classic Mustangs, ranging from 65 through 70. Now own a 70 Chevelle SS LS6 454. Awesome car!!