Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What size engine to put on a Pica 90 inch P51

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What size engine to put on a Pica 90 inch P51

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM
JBZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size engine to put on a Pica 90 inch P51

I have been following this forum for a while trying to read and learn what everyone else is doing, so now I would like to ask a question. What engine would you use on a Pica 89 inch P51 mustang . This bird will be glassed and decked out with some scale features. I have a ST 4500 currently not in use. I like glow, but would prefer a gasser.
If it is possible, I am going to go used ( something not to expensive) . Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 PM
powertoys
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What size engine to put on a Pica 90 inch P51

I have the same kit as you. Everything that I've read and been told by others is to go with the Zenoah G62. It will fly fine and save your cowl and is about the cheapest for that size. I personally want a little lighter with more power so I'm going with the DA-50. It has (5.0hp) 1/4hp more with right at a pound less weight. If you want even more power than that you can go with the ZDZ-60(5.4hp). I'm still finishing up another plane and wont get to this until probably the end of summer so I don't have any measurements or other advice. Everyone has their own ideas, hope this helps you start looking. RCU has an engine comparison section, check it out, I use it a lot to start getting ideas.

Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 07:00 AM
JBZ

Thanks for the input. I thought as much, but don't mind the second opinion.
Jay
Old 01-14-2005, 11:07 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jay, I had one of those in the early 90’s. It was silk span covered with robin-air retracts and weight in at 17#. I don’t know how far along you are but I had to replace almost all the sheeting and hard wood that came with the kit because it was so poor, and the kit was a widdler’s dream (basically glue a bunch of balsa blocks together and shave off everything that does not look like a P-51D).

Mine started life with a Super Tigre S-2500 (the recommended engine for it at the time) and it flew it but just barely! I then switched to a Zenoha G-62 with the stock muffler and that flew it with authority but there was no cowl left. I only put about 30 flights on the plane because over the five years it was flying it had one mechanical problem after another. The engine thing took two years then the retracts which had sequencing gear doors were always leaking, I’d send them back during building season only to find new leaks when I reinstalled then. At that time those were the only retracts available for the model so I threw my hand up in total frustration. Removed my radio gear from it and sold it cheap just to have it out of my sight.

When it flew it flew very nicely! Unfortunately the LG would come down some where in the middle of the flight always leading to an anxious landing. Are the gear locked or not? Well they always were.

If I still had it I would try one of those pitts style mufflers for a G-62, that should leave a lot more cowl. Also all the DA’s and ZDZ look good (ZDZ 60, DA-50).

Good luck

Joe
Old 01-14-2005, 12:23 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I f you can keep the total weight below about 26lbs, I think a good option would be a ZDZ 40 Rear Exhaust; http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/engines/zdz40.html
This motor also has a rear carb, so the only cowl cutting you would need, would be for cooling, and cylinder clearance. The ZDZ's are powerful engines for their size & weight.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:48 PM
JBZ

Hey Joe , thanks for giving me the insight on my kit. The way I bought my stang was it is framed and the retracts installed. (Robart air ) Currently no tank is in the front. That is why I want a good opinion before the final sheeting goes on.
I bought the kit from one of my bilboard salesman, (cool guy) , he said the same thing you did, carve ,cuss, carve, eat , glue, cuss...... Then he got married, then burnt out. I don't know in what order.
From what I have been reading, 20 pounds is where I think It will come in at. I plan on posting the glassing and finishing process here.
You guys have shown me a bunch of shortcuts on the glass part. I plan on doing a bright aluminum, or a olive drab scheme. Invasion stripes have to be the deal, they look great!!! If you got something looking good ship me an e-mail.
By the way, I own and opperate an auto repair shop that does collision (mostly) and restoration (mostly-er) .Corvettes, Shelbys, Panterias, Camarros, etc...
Unfortunatly, I get my share and then some of glassing. I have some great time savers to throw at you all on what to use on glass finishing. It is kind of what you have been seeing , but way faster, way cheaper. The automotive repair is based on time saving procedures, or so they say!!
If I get my way, I'm gonna put a screamer of about 55 to 75 cc on the thing. It just depends on what I can trade or sell for a used engine.
Thanks,,, Jay
Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 PM
paladin

Jay, Just remember to keep the glass on the tail light or you end up adding more wt to the nose.

I have a Model tech P-51D with the following paint scheam:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76149.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	215266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53927.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	215267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89813.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	215268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69070.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	215269  
Old 01-14-2005, 10:32 PM
paladin

It has all the necessity's.
- it has od on it
- it has D-day stripes (specially the strip on the top for visability)
- yellow on the nose and tail for visability.

Mine has a Magnum 1.2 4c, Rhom-Air retracts with Century Jet Oleo's

Joe
Old 01-15-2005, 07:08 AM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I have one of those, actually I didn't fully built it. I got the plane which had a missap and built a new wing for it and started to fly it last summer. The plane was equiped with a ST4500, I never been into those ST, anyway I finally decided to get something gas and ended with a 3W70 rear carb. Well I got my work cut out, I had to chop 1/2", so the firewall, and rails went and a new, thicker, one was built.
Most of the problem was to get everything in the plane, with two batteries plus one for the ingnition, 24oz tank, space became hard to find, to solve that I fiited the wing with all the pneumatic equipment, UP2 and servos was also mounted in a recess on the center section of the wing.
The plane weights 30 lbs, more that it was expected, but considering the Robart 1/4 scale retracts (5/8" struts), all those batteries, and the gas engine. I do fly at around 5600 feet (Denver) and this Pica Mustang flies like a dream! Go with a gas engine.
Bruno