Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Glassing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Timberman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glassing question

I'm about to undertake in my first glassing project w/ a TF Seafury. I've looked at the Art's Hobby web page and I intend on using this as a quide; however, the thing that I'm not sure about how to handle glassing around control areas where hinges attach and the inside portion of the flaps. How do I handle the close tolerances in these areas? I was planning on not using any fiberglass cloth in these areas, just brushing on the resin but didn't know if that is the right way to handle it. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Glassing question

The glass probably won't add enough thickness to matter if you are using 1/2 or 3/4 oz cloth and do not let the resin build up above the cloth thickness. Brushing resin on the raw wood and sanding it after curing also works well.
ORIGINAL: Timberman

I'm about to undertake in my first glassing project w/ a TF Seafury. I've looked at the Art's Hobby web page and I intend on using this as a quide; however, the thing that I'm not sure about how to handle glassing around control areas where hinges attach and the inside portion of the flaps. How do I handle the close tolerances in these areas? I was planning on not using any fiberglass cloth in these areas, just brushing on the resin but didn't know if that is the right way to handle it. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Henrik_Rosen

I can recomend to use a(dont know the english word) small roll on brush. I attach a picture so you can see what I mean. I think that brush maked it all much easer.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:25 AM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on the TF spit i'm currently working on, i'm not going to glass the inside of the flaps....too tedious. i'm simple going to paint and fuel proof that area. besides you really can't see it anyway and adding resin will only add unnecessary weight.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something else to consider is the quality of the glass. Most conforms very well. The stuff I've gotten from the hobby shop was junk. Only good for flat surfaces. Would not stay down over a 90deg bend. The last plane I did was a recovering job on a corsair. I didnt glass the seam areas of the flaps and hinges. Looked fine, nobody noticed.
Edwin
Old 01-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Timberman

What should I use 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz cloth?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the lightest you can find. Its not ment to add strength, just a good base for paint.
Edwin
Old 01-21-2005, 06:30 AM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ditto. i'm using CST's 0.6oz cloth because it's the lightest i could find.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Darklotus
My Feedback: (4)

Hi everyone.

I'm also going to be glassing my bird soon. I have made a few tests with hobbico 3/4 Oz. It seemed to do pretty good. My question is, is there something better out there then what I used? Any good suppliers for glass cloth? Since this is my first glassing job I will be doing are there any good site for technique, supply's, and how - to's ?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:23 PM
the-plumber

Any good suppliers for glass cloth? Since this is my first glassing job I will be doing are there any good site for technique, supply's, and how - to's ?
http://www.cstsales.com/

http://www.acp-composites.com/

http://www.fibreglast.com/

and for more than you ever will have need to know about composites, there is always

http://www.jetracing.com/composites/composites.html
Old 01-21-2005, 05:28 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Henrik_Rosen
I can recomend to use a(dont know the english word) small roll on brush. I attach a picture so you can see what I mean. I think that brush maked it all much easer.
Not bad for someone who uses English as a second language.

The term is 'roller' or 'paint roller'.

In the states, epoxy-specific rollers can be had [link=http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=28482]here.[/link]

I cut the covers in half on the bandsaw to make 'em fit a 3" roller frame. Works really well for applying epoxy/glass finishes.