Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hitec servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Darklotus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec servos

Hello everyone.

I'm in the construction stage of the TF giant P-51. This will be my first large scale warbird, and my first gasser. I have been modeling for about 5 years now, and have always stuck with one type of radio gear (Futaba). I don't know why, out of blind faith I guess lol. But my question is this. Is Hitec any good? And what are some good Hitec servos, for this awsome plane I'm building? Tf recommends at least 70 Oz-in. servos. I'm not to sure if this is a major factor in picking out the servos but, total project weight I’m predicting is going to be around 25 - 27 lbs. It's going to be glassed and painted, also a first thing for me.

Any suggestions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

James
Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec servos

Hi James, I was the same way for a long time, except I always used JR stuff. Several years ago I needed some servos for a project and my LHS didn't have the JR's that I wanted, they could have ordered them and would have only taken about a week...but I for some reason didn't want to wait. I bought some HiTech's and was very pleased with them and saved a bunch of $$ to boot. I have been using them ever since and have never had a problem. I mostly build and fly giant scale warbirds, and use HS-625MG's on the ailerons (94.43 oz. in.) and on the flaps, fudder and elevator I use HS-805BB's (343 oz. in.). Personally I like to fly my warbirds in a scale like manner, no hovering or super sonic low passes...so I don't need control responses like the 3D and aerobatic guy's do. These servos provide the response that is necessary and more than enough power. And like I mentioned, they haven't failed me yet.
Rob / Pickupsticks
Old 01-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Darklotus

Thanks for the help. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, I still have some time befor I need them. Have you seen the HSR-5995TG from Hitec? WOW! Titanium gears and 333 oz-in. torque, comes with a pretty good price tag on it too!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:01 AM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

i think i have one of every kind of servo ever made in my planes but a good majority are Hitecs. i also have never had one fail or give me and kind of trouble. i have all types of planes from large warbirds to 3D stuff and they work nicely. EVOL
Old 01-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

James:

Am using HS-645 MG servos on all control surfaces...HS-525 for throttle...this is on gas powered scale aircraft..DO NOT use the HS-635 HD Karbonite servos on it...They are prone to vibration, on gas models or any plane(Glow too) over a 60 size..There is a tread on here in regards to that statement..check it out...
Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

I too was a strict JR and Futaba servo user before Hitec came along.
A good majority of my servos are now Hitec. They work great and can save you a bundle over a period of years. Now, I won't buy any other brand.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:19 AM
SpitfireMKI

HS5645MG Digitals, excellent quality and great price. Have them in a Ziroli P-40, Vailly P-47, GSP FW-190 and installing in my TF ARC Mustang MkIII conversion.

S1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39705.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	218430  
Old 01-21-2005, 09:31 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HS 5645, and HS 5945 servos are great. Havn`t had any issues with mine.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Hitec since 1990 and have never had one fail in flight. However, I have had gears break when I crashed my plane......er uh, could have been my fault. Hitec are very good servos, and the prices are good as well.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Edwin

I have the same problem. The gears break when you smack the ground. Oh well, I'm pretty happy with my hitecs.
Edwin
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ill say stick with JR or Futaba.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lot of Hitec and when I buy new servos, I only buy Hitec. I did buy some Futabas new once. 1 of the 3 I bought bounces at center.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:08 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I use a good mix of Hitec, Futaba and JR servos, but the majority of them are Hitec, and almost all of those are digitals, the HS-5945MG in particular. In my opinion they are a great value at $75. I have them in all my giant scale aerobats and they have performed as advertised, and without a hiccup.

On my 60-sized P-47 I'm working on now I will be using Hitec servos exclusively...the HS-5245MG Mighty Mini digital and HS-225BB Mighty Mini analog. This will be my first time using these particular servos but thus far on the bench they have been great. They are fast, relative strong and they center well.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:11 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I will not use hitec's on anything bigger than a Park Flyer. I have seen them fail in the air that led to aircraft destruction. I was running two Hitec 6xx, not sure what they were now, on my GeeBee elevators. The plane would never trim and always felt "off". I swapped them out for a set of ball bearing converted 148 futabas and the plane flies totally different. It is locked in, and one click of trim makes the changes you expect. It will go horizon to horizon hands off now. That sold me.... I will probably use them for retracts, turrets, etc, but no flight functions for me!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Darklotus

Wow thanks a lot guys. Never thought I would get such a great response. I got a Goldberg Piper from a friend about 60% complete, I finished it up and covered it (L4 grasshopper). Unfortunately I don't have a cowl for it. And I still need to glue in all the windows in. But anyways I bought 4 new Futaba standard BB's for it and out of those 4 one of them did not work at all! Thats kind of what got me thinking about different brands of servos. here is some pics of my piper.

[link=http://www.rcplanes.5u.com/Pics/L41.JPG]Pic 1[/link]
[link=http://www.rcplanes.5u.com/Pics/L42.JPG]Pic 2[/link]

Anyone else ever have this problem with brand new Futaba servos?

P.S. How do you add pics to the post? I uploaded them to RCU, but don't know where they went or how to link to them. Thanks for the help for a RCU noob
Old 01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Katchmarek

Hmmm...I have heard the same as what JeffH has stated from some flyers that I know, however I've never encountered this problem. I think though I see where this thing may be heading? It sounds to me the problem arises when someone is using servos in a scenario such as JeffH...2 servos on the elevators...the guy's I personally know fly aerobatic stuff and 3D...these type of flyers need extreme precision and adjustability from their servos, where guy's that fly just simple sport airplanes, and guy's like me who fly giant warbirds, seldom if ever run elevators with 2 or more servos. I generally just use one big arse servo ( such as an HS805BB )for each surface ... elevators, rudder and flaps. Perhaps this is why I've never encountered a problem with controlability? Still, I've used well over 100 HiTech servos and have yet to have one fail in flight. (did strip the gears in one though with a ... well a unscheduled landing I guess maybe wether or not one uses/likes HiTech servos depends upon the application they are being used in???
Rob
Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to do some interesting reading, do a search, it will tell all
Old 01-21-2005, 04:03 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

The part that I found disturbing was the fact that I replaced them with ol' 148's and the plane acts like it just got a set of JR digitals, in comparison. It was kind of spooky to know that I was flying on servos that were so poor. I can only assume they were not centering the same, or they were bouncing around in flight. Even single servo setups would benefit from a swap, IF the hitec are acting the same as mine were.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Katchmarek

JeffH, Wow, I don't know...maybe I've just been lucky? But like I said, I've used well over 100 HiTech servos of different variety, and never had a problem. Maybe like I stated in my last post, it seems that it could have a direct relation to the type of flying being done? That is the only logical explaination that I can think of. There are many similar situations like this in out hobby...retracts for instance. How many threads have you seen trashing Century Jet gear...quite a few. But I have used them on many, many big warbirds too without any problem that can't be blamed directly on either my setup or poor landings. On the other hand, I have had a couple of JR's fail on me, once an aileron servo, and the other was a throttle servo...the aileron servo caused the loss of the airplane a Global Raven.
Rob / Pickupsticks
Old 01-22-2005, 12:40 PM
kram-RCU

As a flyer experienced in such matters, I can state without equivocation that you can strip the gears in any brand of servo by crashing the plane. I don't think Hitec's can be faulted for that.

Let me add a voice to the crowd by saying that although I use mostly JR's, I have used Hitec's, mostly 645's, and never had one give me trouble.

mt
Old 01-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Darklotus

Again thanks a lot for all your comments everyone. I'm about ready to setup the servos in the wing, so I'll have to make up my mind pretty soon.

James
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 PM
vatorman94

I had a hitec 745HB break a karbonite tooth or 2 in flight on a Kadet senior elevator. It was flying in 25 deg. F. Has anyone else broken a plastic gear in the cold. Any other thoughts on that Thanks Jim
Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only know of 2 ways to break a servo that is flying around. Both involve linkage.
TOO loose............&...........TOO tight. .......+OVERSIZED rod holes.
Especially a pushrod setup.

Too loose you can cause a silent BUZZZZZ. It simply vibrate the daylights out of the gearing.

Too tight causes the rod to bow around on a push stroke. Then a quick command to the other way YANKS ALL THE STORED up play TIGHT suddenly. How tight ? Who really knows.

My opinion based on the few " I lost it " autopsies on the dead I have stood over.

Below is a servo sizing chart .

Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60939.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	1357556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98001.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1357557  
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I fly practically Hitec all round servo wise! and i run everything from the Hs-55's to the larger digitals

The 645Mg are great and plenty for the decent sized warbirds. My Fw-190 and P-51 have them installed. I have the 5645MG Digitals in my 1/8 scale F-16 with no dramas other than one of them has a little play in the bearings. That's the only servo from hitec i have and anything remotely wrong with it.

Installing 5645MG into my turbine trainer as well. Check out troy built models. the best hitec prices i have found so far, and they do some nice comparisons between the JR offerings.

Thanks

dave
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used Hitec for years, awesome servos, on your P51, get any of the digitals standard size, the 5995TG I have it on my 1/8 buggy for racing, it's extremely strong, resistant and precise, it will be a good idea to get the servo programmer as they do not come from the factory with the most precise setting, precision is set from a value of 1(most precise centering) to 16, they come set at 2.

I use JR premium for my pattern ships, but for my scales I use Hitecs, you can't go wrong with them, I probably have around 60 or more servos of both brands and are very happy with them, also service for both is great.

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.