Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Wintertime blues--workshop lost, warbird help sought in Joliet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Wintertime blues--workshop lost, warbird help sought in Joliet

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:03 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wintertime blues--workshop lost, warbird help sought in Joliet

Gentlemen,

I've been around here enough to know that asking for help has brought me to know a lot of great people here at RCU and I hope that I might be able to ask again for same reason. I've recently moved from my home in Chicago to Joliet/Plainfield area and have lost my workshop due to lack of garage at new house. Everything is totally in boxes while I watch and weep at seeing the chances of getting two giant warbirds and a finicky Beechcraft into the air this spring, as I still have to build a garage then. I've got absolutely everything necessary to finish up everything and all the equipment to do it, simply nowhere to do it, as planes are still in storage. One plane, 1/5 Pica Spit is partially primed with rivets and tape already done, the other, a Top Flite giant F4U is completely framed and ready for engine mounting and finish after that. For anyone with time it would be an easy completion before spring, for me alone here, there's not a chance. So I guess I'm asking if there might be anyone who would be a friend here in some way, whether that might be having some free time and working with me (I'm a school teacher in Joliet) at his or her available workshop around here and wouldn't mind having these things in the way of their own collection while I or we get them done. The reality is I really don't know anyone at any field around here, as I don't fly often, but have been in the hobby a long time--23 years--and would love some assistance just getting these birds in the air, from completing, balancing, weathering, flying and landing. With the .60 size planes I've always flown, I've never needed much assistance, but this is a whole new ball game as I've got significant dollars in each plane by now and will have a good case of nerves as I get them into the air. I suppose we could call it a modeling mentor program for me. I might hope that there is someone willing to take me on in some capacity here for what might be typically modest hobby fees. Right now, I've got these two planes and a finicky Midwest Stearman and the Top Flite Beechcraft done in Flitemetal, and I would love flying guidance here too. I would even be up for a trade for finished planes of the same size (Spit, FW, ME109 or F4U) & quality, etc, in hopes that I could get into the air by spring. Feel free to post or email if you might be able to offer commiseration, support or aid for my depressed situation of modeling greatness! Thanks fellas.

Mike Ufkin
Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 AM
wulf190

Default RE: Wintertime blues--workshop lost, warbird help sought in Joliet

here's a cuple of pics of where they stand
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73286.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	219403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31972.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	219404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56904.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	219405  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 AM
taildragger01
My Feedback: (10)

I have had the same problem in the past. I bought a house last year and have been working out of my room building the 60 size aircraft. of course a get a lot of flack from the wife about the mess and smell. I just baught a large scale Ziroli kit and was faced with the no work shop big enough for this huge bird 100"ws. I rented a large shipping container from a local shipping Co. for 65.00 a mounth and hung flore**** lights and built two work tables to fit my needs. It is much cheeper than building a shop right now. as far as help in building your birds. go to your local field and take a six pack, then just sit down with some of the old timers and ask. you will be happy to see how many volentears you will get. fliers are a tight nit family and builders are even closer nit. as far as flight instruction. if you are a AMA card holder there will be a line of pilots ready to plug you in and get you in the air.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:42 AM
taildragger01

Nice work. What tipe of shin is that on the Spit?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:55 AM
wulf190

Taildragger, I did some of the raised panels on the Spit in Flitemetal, painting over, gives the needed effect and it's pretty easy to add rivet detail into the surface of the metal, also can weather it a little better after painted.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:07 PM
taildragger01

what epoxy mixture do you use for your rivets?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

If you are a school teacher maybe you could strike a deal with the shop teacher to teach a class after school in the art of R/C to latch key kids and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. People have built planes in one bed room apartments, look around your house and stake out a spot for yourself and get busy.[8D]
Old 01-23-2005, 04:46 PM
wulf190

I've got the retired industrial arts room connected right to my room at school. I had thought about this option as the workshop is fairly open but wasn't really sure it was the right school to do this in. I suppose I could do a little survey among students about who might be interested in a junior high radio control club. I know some of them are into cars, and we are going to be doing some stuff with model rockets this spring. The house is simply not going to work, too much sanding and painting to do. Perhaps offering weekend courses for kids or parents in certain aspects, like painting or finishing, or building, etc.. I've already been checking to see if anyone is into airbrushing.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:50 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me a garage is out of the question as I see it now even when I complete a B.A. in Social Sciences. I remember a past conversation with my College academic adviser who stated A degree in Social Sciences.."Thats great but you won't make much money."[&o][][8D]

Peter of OZ seems to have a great suggestion ;now all you need is the keys to the school..

[sm=idea.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23383.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	219579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21400.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	219580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12366.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	219581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84474.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	219582  
Old 01-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wulf here is a suggestion that may help out some of the kids you teach. Not sure of their ages but if in their teens they prob are interested in aviation, even a lot of girls are into planes if you ask them.

My idea would be for you to approach the school managment with the idea of creating a modelling and general guidance group for the kids. The shool puts up a secure workshop type area, you supply the equipment and guidance.

show the kids how to build, the theroy of aerodynamics, some good life pointers, teach them to fly. Invite some notable local whatever guest down there to talk to the kids, even approach your local military base be in Airforce, Marines, NNavy or Army. You will be surprised just how much a guiding hand when in ther teens can mean to the long term prospects of kids.

You help the kids, they help you, the school helps you with a workshop area.

Win win and lots of respect and frienships created.

worth mulling over if nothing else.

cheers
Peter
Old 01-24-2005, 02:12 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Just run out and get a H9 mustang AARF. That will hold you.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:10 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darn peter-Maybe if I stand on my head and start thinking like my friends"down under," I could of thought of your absolutely 'brilliant' idea!
Hope Peter and others have been a help ,I retract all the baloneyI posted. My brother has a large room he never uses,I guess you have to think out side of the box..err work shop town house room.[sm=surprised.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=cool.gif]