Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

First warbird recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

First warbird recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:21 AM
rjbranchii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First warbird recommendation

I'm considering a foray into warbirds. I have been flying aerobatic planes and would like to know what you more experienced folks might recommend. I'd like to stay in the .60 to .90 2 cycle mode, Super Tigre.90's being my preference. If the plane should have retracts I'll go that route, but am willing to pay for good ones to avoid hastles flying. I'd like the plane to be a good flyer, for a first one with little in the line of quirks. I can build, but prefer an arf or arc airplane. I don't want to get into a massive building project though. The closer to to flying the more likely I'll take the plunge. I do not need to build or go to scale contest level but would just like a good honest warbird type plane. My interests have always been towards P-40's, non-razorback jugs, spitfires, folkwolfs, or corsairs. P-51's would be on the end of my list. I know, it unamerican, just have trouble with the esthetics with a 2 blade prop and the monster spinner. But my primary concern is not for the particular plane but one that flies well and is not too difficult to fly and doesn't do quirky things like tip on its nose every landing. I'll be flying off grass if that is a consideration.

So I'll wait now and see what you all say.

thanks,

bob
Old 01-23-2005, 12:02 PM
taildragger01
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: First warbird recommendation

check out the Great Planes ARF,s I think You will find the warbird Arf you Want. I have Had the A6 Texan and the P51. both are great builders and nice fliers, Jus tlog on to Tower Hobbys web site , they sell a lot of the top ARF manufatures war birds. I allso have two of the 60.size ARF,s by VQ, the Mig 3 which is a good flier and the VQ P38 ARF it,s a little tricky to fly but man is it beautyful.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:39 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Hangar 9 Mustang 60 size.

Looks good. Flys very well, and the slow flight personality is very tame. Lands pretty too.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:18 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want no hassle retracts the only good retracts for 60-90 size planes like the corsair or the p40 are from sierra, and are a bit expensive. you can make the robarts work but they take some constant maintenance and good landing skills, plus a smooth runway. so i would recommend either the modeltech p-47 or the world models 60 size mustang. another possibility is the hangar 9 mustang. all of these are reported to be good flyers. i have the hangar 9 mustang with the st g90, side mounted with a bisson pitts style muffer. i did some beef-up behind the firewall, sheeted the bottom of the horizontal stab, beefed up the wing mounts bolt plate, and replaced the retracts with spring air gear designed for 3/16 wires. i also moved the retracts 1 1/2 inches toward the fuse on each side to get rid of the stilt like look of the original gear. mine has been flown hard now for two years and is still going strong. i originally had a saito 100 in it and eventually changed it out to the g90. there's a pic of mine in my gallery taken when i had the saito in it.

i would take a hard look at any arf you buy and consider beefing up potential weak areas.

for kit builts i would consider the top flite p47, which can be built as a razor or bubble canopy. mine flies well on the g90 i have had in it, although i am now changing the g90 over to a st2300. i want to see what it will do super-powered . the top flite mustang i have flies well on the g90 i have in it.

another retract you might consider is the steel frame robart 60 size- i think these are 530s or 550s. anyway if you want to use oleos these retracts will take 7/16 oleos which you will want for durability.

good luck

ed
Old 01-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Fastsky

I have Great Planes Stuka ARF. Looks great and is easy to fly, very wide speed range. I have a TH 75 on the front which makes it a pretty fast flyer with throttle up. [8D]
Old 01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
powertoys
My Feedback: (2)

I know you want to run a Supertigre 90G. But most warbirds require the engine to run inverted if you want to save the cowl for looks. And the Supertigre hates to run inverted. Seen many people at the field have to hold the plane upside down just to start it then have problems with it loading up. I would spend the extra few bucks for a four stroke, like OS or Saito. Or you could just cut the cowl up but with that big head and large muffler that is a lot of cutting. Not saying it is bad either way, just thought you would want to know. Good luck with what ever you get. Warbirds are great to fly, I love them.

Mike
Old 01-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Fastsky

Actually the GP Stuka has the engine mounted at a bit of a downward angle which puts the standard muffler exhaust out the bottom. I was concerned about the engine running in this position but it hasn't been any problem. I agree against trying to run a 2 stroke inverted. Too many problems to make it worth while. Any of the warbirds with round cowls can have the engine mounted sideways which allows an incowl muffler exhaust pipes to blow straight out the bottom. Suggestions are the FW90, Zero, Corsair, Texan, P47, and Sea Fury. I have a Direct Connection Sea Fury which flys really nice and has the engine mounted sideways. I don't think they make them any more but Top Flight makes a Sea Fury 60 kit. Nice thing about bottom exhaust, very little clean up. I only have 1 tiny spot on my Sea Fury and my Stuka that gets any exhaust oil. A quick wipe and its clean. Zeros are also fantastic flyers if you can get one. [8D]
Old 01-25-2005, 12:35 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

I also have the Great Planes stuka, I have a TT 91 4 stroke mounted in it. this plane fly's and looks great and has no real nasty tendancies . i would also recommend you go with a 4 stroke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43343.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	220278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10685.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	220279  
Attached Images   
Old 01-25-2005, 04:58 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some time ago I bought a built Top-Flite P-39 Aircobra. It has a S-T 90 mounted sideways in the nose, plenty of power, and it runs great that way. It has air retracts, and robarts struts, which could get a little pricey but look GREAT. And it is one fantastic flying airplane... I fly off asphalt and haven't had to use the flaps yet. And one thing is for sure, you're not going to mistake it's silhouette in the air for anything else.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38293.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	220331   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45659.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	220332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34710.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	220333  
Old 01-25-2005, 04:21 PM
heliraptor

Hi

That Stuka looks sweet !!!!

Might look into one of those.

Lee
Old 01-25-2005, 05:07 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Hey man, take it from an aerobatic flier who also likes P-40. H9 will come out in march w/ a 65" span P-40 that's perfect for ST-90. It should have a stiffer retract than the H9 Corsair, as it says in Horizon website. The 1st generation H9 warbird ARF's like silver Mustang and Corsair have received an unanimous compalint on the weak retract struts. The newer Mustang Miss America supposedly has stiffer struts.

With the introduction of Titanum struts, the weak struts are a thing of the past. Central Hobbies carries them.

VQ also has a P-40 in 3 color schemes, and it comes w/ mechanical retract PLUS functioning oleo shock. Not too bad for $300. Morris Hobbies supposedly carries them, but I can only find the link in Yahoo/Google

My first warbird is a Zero 120 from CMP. It flies rather nicely, except since it doesn't come w/ retract, I spent as much time eigineering the retract installation as building the rest of the plane. I wanted a Zero after watching Pearl Harbor, but the purchase and building of the Zero took its time as my 3D planes took most of the time.

I think warbirds is really fun to fly with friends, making low pass chases and just talking to one another while flying. It's much more social than concentrating on the harrier or torque roll.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:39 PM
tom_to_build

Your stuka looks really nice is that the original paint job and decals that came in the kit?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

All the covering on my stuka is original. the only thing that has been added is the swastika. this plane is real easy to fly and looks great in the air. all i need now is the siren which i intend to buy in a few weeks. I fly off grass and the only problem i had was it kept nosing over, but after bending the landing gear closer to the L/E the problem was solved