Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P51 60 nosing over

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P51 60 nosing over

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:28 AM
webtech
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P51 60 nosing over

I am pretty new to the warbird scene and I am having a little problem. I keep nosing over the Mustang during takeoff and want to know what causes this. Is it throttle control or do I need weight in the tail? Can it be the landing gear? Any advice would be appreciated. I am getting tired of trial and error, and fixing the plane seems to be constant from this. I love this plane and really want to master it.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74670.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	220387  
Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 AM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P51 60 nosing over

Sir, looks like from the photo the landing gear is in correct position. When holding model level look down from top of wing. Main axles should be in line with the leading edge or slightly in front. Make sure you do not have a nose heavy airplane. If all this is correct make sure your wheel alignment is corect and wheels turn smoothly. Wheels should be turned in from straight about two degrees. This helps tracking. Now assuming this is all Ok, then the problem is throttle management. DO NOT go to full throttle for take off like a tricycle gear aircraft. This is due to the scale tail surfaces not having as much authority at slow speeds. Hold full up elevator and bring throttle up as the model gains speed. Then relax elevator to bring the tail up. You should be at about 3/4 throttle by then. The aircraft should be able to take off at that setting. As the model starts to leave the ground advance the throttle to full and allow the plane to gradually climb at about 5-10 degrees. This will give yo a scale take off apearance. also get that gear comming up at about five to ten feet in the air. You may have to hold some right rudder to keep it tracking straight also due to P factor. Sit and practice it in your mind, holding your transmitter. this will get the feeling and knowledge installed before you fly. If using a sym all the better.
good luck with your Mustang. I have flown this model and I know it flies beautifully.
Lets us all known how it turns out.
Gary Webb
Old 01-25-2005, 11:08 AM
webtech

Gary,
Thanks for your advice. I will do and check everything you have said. Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this problem. I will keep you posted.
-Rocky
Old 01-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: webtech

Is it throttle control or do I need weight in the tail?
It's all about throttle/elevator/rudder management. You don't want to add weight to the tail to bandage the problem. With practice, you will be able to take off and land this plane without difficulty. Always thrive for scale take off.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:19 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

'webtech',
You failed to mention any details about your Mustang, including WHICH Musatng it is (what manufacturer/ scale/ etc.). My guess is that it is a Hanger 9 Mustang: based on the yellow tail AND the nose-overs. If so, these Mustangs (Hanger 9 ones) are very susceptible to nose overs due to the landing gear legs which flex too much. I witnessed several different ones attempting take-offs from grass runways, and flew one myself. All had the same problem: the struts flex so far back when hitting little bumps that the aircraft has a bad tendancy to nose over. The cure is simple enough: install beefier struts, and /or beefier landing gear.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:05 AM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

webtech, I had a similar problem with a Corsair and several things fixed it. As CorsairJock suggested, use beefier landing gear, especially on a grass field. Also, if you are flying from anything but a smooth strip, consider the size of your tires. I know assume you're using retracts but see if you can fit a larger diameter tire on your main gear. They help get over the rough spots. In the case of my F4U, I did all the above, and I also bent the mains forward so that the axles were about 1/2" forward of where they were suppose to be. 1/2" isn't enough to make much visual difference. Other than that, be patient. It took me several busted vertical stab / rudder rebuilds before I got it right. Good luck. Love those warbirds! My dad (USMC fighter pilot) flew them in WW-II and again in the Korean War. I have a photo of him at about 15,000 - 20,000 feet over N. Korea. So when I made my first F4U, I had custom decals made to match his plane. When he first saw it he got tears in his eyes. Made me real proud.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:17 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

You might be able to shim the back end of the retracts to give a little more foreward rake depending on your tire size and wheel cutout.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Richard L.

I'm currently putting one together and will be using Robart 551RS air retracts with 7/16" diameter offset RoboStruts. The largest wheel that will fit inside the stock plastic wheel well is 3 1/2" in diameter. We will see how she does. By the way, the retracts already have plenty of forward rake.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52254.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	220738  
Old 01-26-2005, 12:54 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Richards fix is the best but if you want to go a lot cheaper what I did with my Hanger 9 Mustang was remove the stock retracts loosen the set screw and remove the struts from the retract. Drill the hole out to 3/16" and install 3/16" struts. You can purchase 3/16" struts from Robart for less than $8 for two. Just take the stock ones and use them as templates and bend the new ones just like them. Makes all the difference in the world. Also the set screw is inside the brass pivot. It is tapped on both sides but only has a set screw on one side. I installed another one on the opposite side to give better holding power on the strut. Mine was rock solid after that.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Someone at our field shimmed the back of the langing gear mounts with a sanded down popsicle stick. Solved his problem. Those gear are still cheap, my H9 Miss America has the same ones. I'm going to try the 3/16th struts but I haven't had a problem with nose over on either grass or asphault.

Have you seen the Keleo exhaust available for that plane? Check out www.keleo-creations.com I have one and it looks and sounds BAD! It makes a bigger mess though but its worth the clean up.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
webtech

Mirwin,
Thanks for your response. How about posting that picture of your father flying the warbird? I am sure everyone would like to see it.
Rocky
Old 01-27-2005, 04:45 PM
rwbaker1964

I have the .60 size big beautiful doll/topflite p51d...and the simplest thing to do is have somebody at your flying field hold the tail for you at the end of your field, then you hit full throttle while theyre holding the tail. Then have the holder give you a good rolling shove...(you might need to hold a little bit of up-elevator for a moment...but as soon as you gain speed. you can let off the elevator...and voila' you'll be in the air before you know it. To avoid this problem on landings...thats another story, but make sure you're close to being out of fuel...and you should be able to stick pretty landings too.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Richard L.

I had the same Top Flite P-51D, and my take offs were scale and smooth from a grass runway. With practice, any warbird can do beautiful scale take offs. I don't have videos of my TF P-51D, but here are the take off and landing videos of my TF P-40:

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/take_off.wmv]Take Off[/link] - 1.2M
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/landing.wmv]Landing[/link] - 2.8M

BTW, the TF P-40 is slightly harder to take off and land than the TF P-51.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Mirwin,
Thanks for your response. How about posting that picture of your father flying the warbird? I am sure everyone would like to see it.
Rocky "

Rocky, go to my gallery. I just posted a photo of the real thing and then a photo of my 1st Corsair.

Mike
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 AM
Richard L.

I just recorded my buddy taking off his H9 Mustang. The plane lifted off the ground a little quick for my taste, but it didn't nose over:

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/dallas_doll/take_off_01.wmv]Take Off #1[/link]
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/dallas_doll/take_off_02.wmv]Take Off #2[/link]

The plane is glassed and painted, so I guess it weighs a little more than 9.5 lbs.

Here is the slow pass:
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/dallas_doll/slow_pass.wmv]Slow Pass[/link]

Here are the landings:

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/dallas_doll/landing_01.wmv]Landing #1[/link] - deadstick
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/dallas_doll/landing_02.wmv]Landing #2[/link]
Old 01-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LIke he said. I have a Wm Midget overpowered with a OS 1.08. I have to balance that tail real carefully or it will go right over

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

ORIGINAL: webtech

Is it throttle control or do I need weight in the tail?
It's all about throttle/elevator/rudder management. You don't want to add weight to the tail to bandage the problem. With practice, you will be able to take off and land this plane without difficulty. Always thrive for scale take off.