Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

giantscaleplanes fighters any good?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

giantscaleplanes fighters any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 AM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giantscaleplanes fighters any good?

anyone ever built or flown any of there fighters? they look pretty cool for a fun lil fighter not expensive, any thoughts?[]
Old 01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
US185Damiani

Default RE: giantscaleplanes fighters any good?

I have the little P-47,
flies good it is the CMP kit
GSP customer service can be shady at times
Old 01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
FlyingTyger
My Feedback: (2)

I've been flying their 96" Mustang for 2 years now. We've run into a few problems and yes their customer service can be a little lacking. Anyway, I've had to reglue many joints in the kit including the firewall and tailwheel mount. Both of which all but fell off during the first flight. The fiberglass work on the fuse and cowls is a little thin and prone to cracking and excessive wear. If you build one reinforce the wing saddle area. The retract mounts are garbage. I replaced mine as I built the plane and the only time I tore one out, it was caused by a bad landing on my part. The wing bolts go into hardwood blocks. Replace these. The wood they use isn't hard enough. I originally threaded the blocks, but had to install brass threaded inserts within the first year of flying. Now a year later, even the brass inserts are starting to pull out. I must admit though, that I'm using a Zenoah G-62 in it, and had I used something like a ZDZ or 3W, the decrease in vibration would have saved me from some of these problems. Other than that, the plane flies absolutely wonderful with no bad habits. However, I've heard that they use Ziroli's designs, so if you're a builder, it might be easier to build up a Ziroli than try to modify one of GSP's big ARF's.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hellcat and the Spit are great flyers.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:03 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Giant Scale Planes is just the American distributor for China Model Pro. This company's design and quality has been steadily improving. I have built their FW-190 and Zero. FW-190 is an older design w/ foam core with and stab, fiberglass fuse. Quality is acceptable. Zero 120 has built-up plug-in wing and stab, and the quality is perceptably better. Still the wing and stab are covered w/ plastic film w/ paint on top of it. While looking realistic, it's really easy to get the paint off unless otherwise treated. The paint on the fiberglass fuse stays on much better.

So I'd say their newer stuff is pretty good. I'd go so far as to say it appears more scale than H9 or WM ARF because it's painted. The tail is airfoiled. Tail control mechanisms are hidden. The only thing is you have to engineer the retract installation. The retract mounting beams are too narrow for any robust retract you'll want to outfit. Also, the retract mounts are parallel to the ground, not to the dihedral-ed wing, so choose retract wisely. I ended up with a set of Century Jet mechanical retract w/ 3/16" struts for my Zero 120. It seem to hold up 2 tail-heavy landings so far.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both the Spit and the Hellcat, and the wings and tail feathers on those are covered with Solortex covering and painted with flat paint.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:52 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

two of us at the local flying field have the 75 inch Corsair. What a great flyer. Not ever a tip stall. But if you are looking for scale, this is not the bird for you. The wings were made WAY over size for the fuse. The fiberglass is very thin, and the wood inside the gull bend of the wing has all started to split. It is a great price, but you get what you pay for. But... again....MAN it really flies well.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Scott Douglas

I have their big Corsair too. It flies like a dream (as long as you're prepared to spend time checking the glue joints!! ). I'm building their Mosquito at the moment and their large Zero sits in a large box in my attic

Read all of the above comments well and you'll have a sweet flying model.

Regards
Scott
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 PM
prop wash

I have the TFGS P51 and it fly's great,easier than the 60 size planes.More money but I think they are worth every penny.Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99130.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	221096