Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Inverted pitts mufflers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Inverted pitts mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:10 AM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inverted pitts mufflers

Does any one know if there is an in-cowl or inverted pitts muffler out there that is relitively quiet? I have a ST 75 inverted in a 56" Hellcat, and am looking for a muffler for it. I have heard nothing but bad reviews on the Top Flight in-cowl muffler being very loud and the header being too sharply bent. I personallly have not heard one, so all I have is opinions. Bisson doesn't make one that I can find for the ST 75. Davis is the quietest muffler I have heard, however they dont have an inverted one ether. The only other one I know of is a Slimline, but I don't know anyone who has used one. Does anyone have any thoughts on inverted mufflers? Has anyone tried modifying a Davis 4 stroke muffler? (My current idea..they are steel and tig welding the intake in a different place might work..)
Anyone with any experiences with different in cowl mufflers care to share their opinions? (good or bad). [sm=confused.gif]
Thanks for the help,
CC
Old 01-28-2005, 03:04 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inverted pitts mufflers

Not sure how quiet you are looking for, but I have an inverted slimline pitts muffler on my Moki 210, and it has about the same noise level as a regular pitts muffler. I have heard of giant scale pilots stuffing steal wool (at least I think thats what it was) in a muffler to try and make it more quiet, but I have never done that myself. Only other muffler option I can suggest is checking out the round muffler that is on the Dubb jett website, its www.jettengineering.com . Not sure what the exact noise level is but, I'm sure you can call them and find out. Good Luck .
Old 01-28-2005, 08:11 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tattoon also makes one , I use it on a 90 magnum 2 cycle, inverted in a P40
Old 01-28-2005, 09:36 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Bisson Pitts muffler on a ST91 2 stroke (installed sideways). Its not any noisier than the ST muffler. I think I ran the same muffler on my ST75. I also have a JTec Pitts on a Magnum 91 2 stroke (also installed sideways). It works OK also.

I saw some comments about the Pitts style muffler not generating enough back pressure for the ST engine. I pinched off one of the exhausts with a flexible hose for a while. After I got the engine running well I removed the pinch. It did not seem to make much difference in my case.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:07 PM
milkman-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to the J'Tec site that has mufflers for inverted applications. I plan to use one on my ST 90 in a TF P-47.
[link]http://www.jtecrc.com/mufflers-01.htm[/link]
Old 01-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a pitts muffler made for me by Slimline for a inverted T.T.120 Pro, works great.