Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dora 9 kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 10:28 PM
ARRietz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dora 9 kits

I'm getting ready to get started on a new project, a FW-190 D-9. I'd like to get it as scale as possible, with the intent of possibly using it for competition. Because of cost/space, i'm limited to .90 size. I've been looking at the Top Flite, and the Sky Shark kit. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion either way on these kits. I know that both of them will need some re-working to get real accurate, so I'm wondering about which one has the best quality parts, construction methods, etc. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:38 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dora 9 kits

There are some guys going crazy with the Top Flite Dora on this site. There are multiple threads, so search carefully. Cactus is manufacturing accessories. I hope this will help you out.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...ics.asp?FID=26
Old 01-31-2005, 11:26 AM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I can speak of the TF 190d-9. It flies great, and builds close to scale if you replace all the plastic that comes with the kit and do some mod's it will come out really nice. About 11 lbs decked out.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:37 PM
ARRietz

I've seen a lot of what people can do with the Top Flite version, and it's pretty impressive. From looking at the Sky Shark kit, i like the laser cut parts, fiberglass accessories, and cockpit that come standard with the kit. The only problem I see is that i'd like to get the Spring Air retracts built for the Top Flite version, and the Top Flite is slightly larger than the Sky Shark, which makes me wonder if the retracts will fit without major modifications. The TF has a 63" span, the SS is 59". Any thoughts? Thanks for the tips!

Also, for the Top Flite kit, are there places to buy custom fiberglass parts, or a I going to have to make my own? I've done it before, but now that i've graduated from college I don't have a nice composites lab to work in anymore. I'm sure I could figure out something on my own, but it would be more convenient and cheaper if I could buy some.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:02 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a guy in the UK that is making aftermarket parts for the TF. You can reach him here
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...403&PN=1&TPN=7

This is RCScalebuilder.com and is a thread on the 190d-9 aftermarket parts. Looks pretty good.[8D]
Old 02-09-2005, 03:53 PM
ELTIGRE

the Dora was & is a superb handling plane. RCM had a T/F modification article a while back- you'll want to get your hands on (multiple issues, 3, I believe)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go, multi-part articles done by my man Steve Curry:

* [link=http://www.top-flite.com/reviews/topa0150-rcm.html]Part I - Constructions[/link]
* [link=http://www.top-flite.com/reviews/topa0150a-rcm.html]Part II - Adding Scale Details[/link]
* [link=http://www.top-flite.com/reviews/topa0150b-rcm.html]Part III - Fiberglassing & Painting[/link]
Old 02-09-2005, 09:23 PM
FW190 Dave
My Feedback: (1)

Arrietz, you made a few comments that I think will help you make you decision for you. Price wise the initial kits are pretty close. I can speak for skysharks laser cutting as it is top quality. I feel that the Skyshark parts such as the gun hood and the cowl are better quality and a lot closer to scale so you might be able to save some money and time that way. The 74 degree retracts are the same size as the 85 degree retracts physically and would drop right in. The construction methodes are very straight foward with the skyshark kits. Since I have built the A-8 version I am going to assume the wing is the same. I feel that the landing gear on the skyshark is place to far in on the wings. I would move them out on the wing a little bit. That would probably be one of the mods that I would do. The other would be flaps of course since you are going for scale. Either way you put it they both have there advantages and disadvantages. I have seen some pretty impressive builds for the Top Flite 190, but I am sure you could achieve the same with the Skyshark. Which ever one you choose you are getting a great kit to build with a lot of potential.