Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Question about setup on GSP Hellcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Question about setup on GSP Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:44 AM
ztdw3etsu
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about setup on GSP Hellcat

Hello everyone. I have found this site and it's forums to be a great help to me. I have a question for everyone about the GSP hellcat, I believe quite a few of you guys have one. I recently bought a nicely built but unflown hellcat. This will be my first warbird and also the largest plane I have owned. I was planning on using a ryobi 31cc gas engine and I would like to use a 3 blade prop. Question one:
Is this engine adequate for the plane and has anyone used a similar engine setup. Will it fit nicely in the cowl? This would also be my first gas engine so any tips on setup, starting, adjustments, etc. would be appreciated.

Question two: what servos would you recommend for the respective control surfaces?? should I use a pull-pull setup for the rudder?

And does anyone have a nice scale looking retractable tail wheel assembly for sale at a good price?

I was planning on using one of the ryobi coonversions available on ebay. Anyone have experience with these engines? There is a guy selling them new for about $170, is this an OK price? I believe they are heavy about 4.5 lbs. but from what I have read the hellcat needs extra weight in the nose to balance out?

Sorry for so many questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about setup on GSP Hellcat

I think a 31cc gas engine might be overkill for the GSP Hellcat. The plane flies nicely with a .91 two stroke or a 1.20 four stroke, so a 25cc gas engine would be more appropriate. This plane has a lengthened nose, probably 1.5" - 2" longer than scale. With the OS 120 pumper, I had to move the battery pack way back to get the plane to balance, so if your engine weighs 4.5 lbs, then you will need tons of lead in the tail. I used one mini servo for the air control valve, standard servos for the ailerons and throttle, and high torque servos for the elevators, rudder, and flaps.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:53 PM
ztdw3etsu
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about setup on GSP Hellcat

Thanks Richard for the reply I thought the engine may be too heavy so standard servos on the ailerons are adequate? Should I use a pull pull setup on the rudder? hopefully I can find an alternate engine in the same price rane as the 31 cc gas engine. I want either a gas or four stroke.