Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models .60 Spitfire

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models .60 Spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:07 PM
DVM100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models .60 Spitfire

Hi Robert,

I fly exclusively off grass with my Spit and do not have any trouble with it nosing over. I use about 60% aileron travel with 30% expo to soften up around neutral. I have spring air retracts with the centre of the wheel located on the leading edge. On take-off I use about 75% power and some up elevator to kep the tail down. As she builds up speed and the tail starts to lift I gradually release elevator and run her on the main gear until she lifts off of her own accord. I NEVER lift off, I let her fly off.

Landing, I use full flaps and throttle only to let her settle in. I always try to stay off the elevator on approach.

Regards,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87089.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	517831  
Old 09-02-2006, 09:13 PM
windstar
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Dave,

I assume you have the 60 size World Models Spit. Is that correct. The retracts that come with the kit do not come forward as you describe your spring airs. So I assume you fitted the spring airs into the WM mounting? I have a 120 size dynaflite spit with fixed gear located like yours (center of wheel at leading edge) and it works fine. Thanks for quick reply.

Regards,
Robert
Old 11-24-2006, 07:17 AM
plopes

Hi,
I am starting on a WM spit and would like to know which eng to use.
I have heard that the spit comes out very tail heavy, so do
I use a MAGNUM 120FS or a TT 91 FS ???
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:33 AM
windstar

HI Plopes,

I installed an OS 91 FS Surpass in my 60Spit, as did a local friend. He has flown his fine with it. Mine has not been in the air yet. The 91 provides plenty of power.

To add weight to the nose, I used brass lock and spinner nuts to hold the prop on under the spinner. Having the added weight farther out front saved a few ounces. I drilled and tapped the front of the spinner to take the hold on screw for the spinner. I am also lengthening the gear to get them out by the leading edge of the wing.

Regards,
Windstar
Old 09-09-2007, 04:43 AM
jonoashton

Hi

I am putting one together now. I have a YS 91 to go in it but I am un sure of what servos to buy. Any suggestions?

Regards Jono
Old 09-09-2007, 08:08 AM
windstar

Hi Jono,

Regarding the servos for your WM Spitfire, I used standard ball bearing servos accept for the retract servo. I typically use Hitec equipment so the servos are the HS-425's. The retract servo is special as it rotates 180 degrees and the height of the servo is smaller so it fits inside the wing. The number of the Hitec retract servo is HS075BB.

I use an OS-91 4 stroke surpass engine. Plenty of power. I also extended the landing gear by cutting the straight wire at a 45 degree angle, putting in an additional piece of steel rod about 1 1/4" long, then slipping two pieces of tubing (one 1/4" OD the other 1 5/16"OD) over the wire (with additional wire piece) and epoxing the whole thing together. The additional wire piece was cut at 45 degrees on both ends so the axles would automatically line up. This brought the center of the wheel to the leading edge of the wing. I also had put a small wedge under the back part of the retract housing to aim it a little more forward. With this adjustments I am able to take off using low rates.

To minimize the needed weight to balance the plane, I use a Higby brass nut and lock nut. I drilled (from the inside) and tapped a hole in the front to take the screw for holding the spinner on. This way the weight is as far forward as possible and the weight addition minimized.

Regards,
RW
Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 AM
jonoashton

The firewall on mine is on an angle, hence the motor is also on an angle. Is it supposed to be like that to counteract torque, or is mine faulty???
Old 10-05-2008, 11:28 AM
RV8NUT
My Feedback: (2)

Has anybody found a decent aftermarket spinner for this thing? I usually handstart my Magnum .91FS, but, every once in a while I have to use an electric starter which will eat through the the thin plastic of the stock spinner in no time.......Thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 PM
windstar

I used an aluminum spinner from Maxx Products in Zurich IL.
Windstar
Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 PM
windstar

The built in angle helps compensate for the engine torque. It is supposed to be like that.
Windstar