Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:40 PM
chasrb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk

Okay Steve now I know who you are. How's the field coming along I have not been able to go see. It should be a good field for the P6e
Old 12-01-2005, 09:06 PM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

Chas,
No progress yet. We've just been told it will be done by 6 May. I have so many planes, including the new P-6e that will not see air time until the field is redone.

I guess it will give me time to see if Kelvin can do an exhaust!

Steve
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 PM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

My local hobby shop has one in stock --

I am in for the exhaust -- tell me how to pay

I have the wings assembled on mine and the vertical and horzontal stabs on -- looks pretty well so far!! Hopefully my RCV engine shows up tomorrow -- if it does could possibly be flying it this weekend -- now if it would only warm up!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:51 AM
prophead
My Feedback: (25)

Tower Hobbies has them in stock again, i will order one today so that i can get started on the scale exhaust. I plan on starting with the RCV 120 engine and will work through the others as time goes on. For those of you that have questions that i have not answered, send me an email with a phone number and i will call you and we can talk. Same for those that would like to pay in advance, send me a phone number and we will work out the details.

Kelvin
Old 12-02-2005, 02:37 PM
sseward

Well, I guess this pushes me closer to the RCV!

Hey Ironic....where did you order your 120 sp from?

Kelvin, I'll send you a note with my phone number and personal e-mail address.

Steve
Old 12-02-2005, 06:14 PM
prophead

Ok I ordered the plane and the engine today and should have them by the end of next week. I will get started right away on design and wont know until i get the model what that design will be. I will post some pictures here as I progress.

Kelvin
Old 12-02-2005, 06:29 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

saw one today at the LHS. very nice looking ARF.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:19 PM
IronicRcAv8r

I ordered my RCV from my LHS -- they expect it in by early next week -- Thats all I am waiting on to have mine airborne. I am making some balsa pieces to replace the plastic they send with the ARF to go around the vertical stab --- I can't seem to get the plastic to fit as perfectly as I would like -- so I figure while I am waiting for the engine I will make and cover those.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

What are these RCV engines, I have never heard of them? Who carries them?
Brad
Old 12-03-2005, 03:29 PM
chasrb

[link]http://www.rcvengines.com/[/link]

I have the 90 sp in a 1/6 sized P-51 with a 15.5 x 12 4 blade and it works great!. cooling is an issue.

[link]http://www.rcvengines.com/how-it-works.htm[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59666.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	364226  
Old 12-03-2005, 04:19 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Cooling should not be too big of issue with the Hawk -- there is about a 1" X 1" opening in the front of the cowl and a exit out the rear you could just about put your fist in -- at worst the preformed 1 X 1 whole might have to be enlarged some, but by far I think this engine will work the best for not having to cut up this big beautiful cowl.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:46 PM
sseward

The real P6e was liquid cooled, thus the big radiator underneath, so I guess GP took it upon themselves to make sure some much needed air got in and incorporated the opening in the front of the cowl. There is a "scoop" on top of the cowl that was for carb airflow on the prototype that I figure you can open up and direct down over the RCV as well. Since Kelving looks like he's gonna make the exhaust, I'm leaning heavily towards the RCV myself.

Steve
Old 12-03-2005, 07:17 PM
BradSD

Are you guys happy with the running and reliability of the RCV engines? You must be as it seems everyone is going that way. I have never seen these till now and have been flying a long time, no one at my field has one.
Brad
Old 12-03-2005, 07:51 PM
IronicRcAv8r

I have not ever used one personally, but have seen a few in action, and have not really read anything bad about them. The biggest thing I was concerned with was the break-in time, but I can get through that I am sure -- If you check out their website they have videos of the engines running on test stands, and a few on them in planes flying. The sound is like no other --
Old 12-03-2005, 10:18 PM
sseward

BradSD...I've never used one myself, though I've been very tempted. I've heard nothing but good things about how well they perform, the only issue being cooling. In radial engine planes where you can get lots of airflow it's not an issue, but in closed Inline cowlings, such as the P-6e you have to make sure you have enough flow through to keep them cool. The SP series engines are compact and they are also effectively gear reduced to a 2:1 ratio, so they can turn bigger props, though at a lower RPM. I know several RCV enthusiasts and they swear by them. As others have suggested above, check out their website and the forums here.

Steve
Old 12-04-2005, 12:03 AM
BradSD

Thanks for the info guys, I checked out the web sight and they do look interesting. I love warbirds and currently have two TF kits nearly finished. I would like to add this bird to the hangar also.
Brad
Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 AM
splais

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please, I can't wait. What is the diameter of the cowl and what is the distance from cowl face to front of engine box. thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:45 AM
sseward

Just thought of another "plus" for the RCV. This ARF, just like the GP Stearman provides you a weight box to put in the nose to get her to balance. The RCV is heavier and may even negate the need for the box.

Steve
Old 12-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelvin,

I'd also be interested in a scale exhaust. I plan on using an O.S. 1.20 4-stroke in my Hawk. Please advise if going forward with this. Thanks!

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:11 PM
optech

Steve (splais),

Its Mike, I got one on order. Should be here next week. Gonna put a Saito 1.20 in it.

Maybe someday I'll get it to the field

You gonna go gas on this???
Old 12-04-2005, 10:54 PM
IronicRcAv8r

I talked with Kelvin today and he is moving forward on the scale exhaust for the Hawk -- he said he would keep us all updated on the progress in this post. I think he has 3 or 4 committed on this and I am sure he would like to here if there are anymore. Anyone else interested probably should shoot him an email from his website.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:13 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

I received my Great Planes P-6E on Wednesday and have the wings assembled. Kit is very complete and really well built. Looks to be all laser cut balsa and light ply. So far the wing halves match perfectly with each other. I would rather have the aileron servos laying down in the wing with just the servo arm protruding out of a slot in the mounting plate. Also should be noted that since the aileron servo extension plugs are out in the open and in the airflow that the connections should be secured to each other so they wont get unplugged during flight. Only thing I might change is the wheels need to be more robust for a model this size and the top wing should have three red stripes on it instead of two. Painted fiberglass cowl and wheel pants look great. Great Planes just keeps getting better and better. It's getting to the point that for general flying it isn't worth the trouble to build kits anymore. More later as I get further along.

THERCAV8R
Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
IronicRcAv8r

I got the RCV engine yesterday -- I will start working on mounting it this afternoon. I took a quick look and looks like it will be an easy install -- at quick glance it looks like I will need to fabricate some 1 1/4" stand offs for the engine to get it out to the right length. I will post a few pics later of the engine install.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Engine is mounted -- as I suspected I needed to space it out 1 1/4". Just need to run the remote glow wires and install the flying wires and then its off to the airfield for engine breakin.

Hope Kelvin can come up with the scale exhaust that will really make this plane!!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Spad_man
My Feedback: (8)

I would not break in that RCV engine mounted to your airframe. I will shake it apart. Engine needs to run on test stand for at least 1 hour, two is better. Bolts come loose on test stand with five minute runs. Engine will run smooth after break-in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.