Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 Giant TF P-47 build in progress Part II >

Giant TF P-47 build in progress Part II

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Giant TF P-47 build in progress Part II

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:57 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant TF P-47 build in progress Part II

Thanks RWHorton. I will continue the exhaust waste gates later. And I will post on this thread if and when I perfected the parts. But it should be soon. I could mold my hardened clay part (plug) into a plastic form you could use as a female mold. Not sure if you would want hot exhaust next to a plastic part. So use the plastic female mold that I can send you to make up a fiberglass part. Up to you. I need to do some more experimenting.

Dean

Old 12-22-2005, 03:09 AM

I can't believe it. As I have been working on these wheel doors I realized that is just would'nt be right without inner doors. But it's a huge undertaking. I have been all over RC universe looking for pictures on how to properly hinge inner doors. They have a curvature to the wing. I have to use the hinges that have a large arm like Sontronics or Robarts. But the delima is it is hard to get at the hinge pin once they are installed. I know that robart carries similar hinges in metal but again it will be difficult to get to the pivot bolt. I am still thinking about how to proceed but here is a picture of the whole setup wheel retracted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86151.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	374051  
Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 AM

Well I have been spending a whole lot of time on the wheels. I just hooked the retracts up to air tonight. Inner doors are not installed yet. When I cycled the retracts a few times I could'nt help myself. I had to see where I am at with this project so I decided to put it together and see what it looks like on the wheels. Here it is guys. Lots more to do but I'm getting there. Maybe a twinkle of light at the end of the tunnel. Please ignore the mess in the shop. [:'(]

Name:	Ge95610.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	374052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62349.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	374053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88629.jpg
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	374054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26937.jpg
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	374055  
Old 12-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you mean there is a tunnel too?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Dean looking great so far. I was just looking at your gear door setup, which looks like a really good fit and i was wondering if your gear door brackets were the ones from Robart or if you made them. I looks like a 2/56 ball joint on there?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:28 PM

Hi Rob,

I made the brackets. I decribed how I made them at the end of Peter_oz's thread. Yes that's a 2-56 ball joint.

Dean
Old 12-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned

I just got some very nice gear door brackets and the 90 degree machined cams for my robart 622s from Sierra precision. First shippment got lost in the mainl but Darrell came through and sent another parcel which arrived very fast so thanks to Dazza for his great service on that.

You guys are asking why 90 degree cams when the 622s are 85 degree retracts. With all the mods to my landing gear location to make them scale the retracts needed the extra 5 degrees so the are perpendicualr to the ground when retracted.
cheers
Peter
Old 12-23-2005, 05:03 PM

It's great that Sierra even has the option of 90 degree cams. I purchased the 85s from Seirra of course.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Banned

this is true however the plastic Robart cams have a very important role. In the event of a heavy landing the landing stresses are transfered to those cams and when they break, which they will they disperse that energy away from other structures in the wing. Far easier to wack in a new set of cams then rebuilt a broken wing.

Unfortunately Robart don't have 90degree cams or I would have fitted those instead.

cheers
Peter
Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 PM

That's funny. I never thought of the plastic cam's breakability would save the other structure. Sierra was pushing the metal cams to me. With the opposite pitch, that I won't have to constantly be replacing them if I have metal one's. Always two sides to a story huh! Maybe I will put the plastic ones back in. At least till I get used to flying the plane. The plastic cams do have a little more sloppyness at the pivot point though.
Thanks
Dean

Old 12-23-2005, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter has a good point and a very valid one at that. Just from experence you will be doing a lot of repair when the plastic ones breaks. Been there done that. But the Mustang owners I referd too still wants the plastic cams just for the reason Peter stated. And I would say that unless you put a good deal of reinforcement in the wing then stick with the plastic one. But if your plane is going to wieght over 25 lbs then replace the plastic with the sierra ones. TF landing gear mounting has a great deal of not enough load distributing area.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:43 PM

Looks very impressive!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

RW that is why I did a lot of redistribution of laod areas when I modified mine

cheers
Peter
Old 12-24-2005, 11:49 AM

I went through a hard learning curv on my small TF p-47. Tf just didn't put enough load distribution in the design. I had to go into the wing after the 3rd structural failure on landing and rebuild the gear mounting. That was 8 years ago and I haven't had any issues since then. My 190d-9 I started right from the begining and reengineered the gear mounting. No problems with the gear on that one. I would say TF wing is very strong it's just the mounting of the gear leaves a lot to be desired.
Peter no worries here just hopping I can help someone avoid a hard lesson. Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2005, 04:04 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Ditto on that since my 1/7 wing failure on a relatively mild two point wheel landing touch down, the wing design failed after a flight of "tearing up the sky,"thank goodness it did not come apart in the air. For pure flying FUN I will shortly slap together another 1/7 with re designed wing/retract structure. You guys have beeen doing a bang up job modifiying the 1/7 and 1/5 47 so I have a clue as to how to do the reinforcement modification during the build and have a more scale like gear retract door mechanism.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:17 PM

The mains are finally functional. They need a little more tweaking but I think I'm there. More detailing will be done of course. The inner gear doors were a pain! I decided to use the Jomar sequencer. It works pretty good but I wish it had more versatility. Servo throws are not adjustable. So servos move 90 degrees that's it. And the delay time between the inner doors and the mains is preset internally. You have to just hope that the mains come up before the inners close. All in all the system works pretty well.

Since the Jomar sequencer runs the servos 90 degrees. Even with the smallest horn, the air valve was being over drawn. See the picture of the solution.

I had to reverse a inner door servo as well. Both inner door servos are mounted in the same direction and connected to a y-harness. I took one of the servos apart and reversed the motor and potentiometer leads. Who needs a servo reverser device!

Here are some pictures.

Name:	Ay76009.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	379979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32143.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	379980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58693.jpg
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	379981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66784.jpg
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	379982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24815.jpg
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	379983  
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 AM

Here are some videos of my retracts in action. They still need a little tweeking on speed adjustments. But the fact that the inner door is not being squished is good. The videos is about a 1meg and less windows media files. This is the first time I have tried using video from this forum. Here is goes.

[link=http://www.saladesigns.com/media/wheel2.wmv]Retracts in action[/link]

[link=http://www.saladesigns.com/media/wheel3.wmv]Retracts in action 2[/link]

Dean
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 AM

WOW
Those work awsome. Now you have me thinking that I should go ahead and do the inboard doors. Great work.

Craig.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 AM
My Feedback: (14)

GREAT!!!
Those inner doors are awsome![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=cool.gif]
Lookin' great so far,
later,
boo
Old 01-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Banned

inners do look nice, can you slow down the main gear in the up direction at all? I use a Ultra precision air sequencer for mine, it controls mains and inner doors as well.

You can alwys buy a JR matchmaker which will allow you to control amount of travel and direction. Easy to set up and very small in size.

Gee I will have to do a video of the gear working on the P51 now!

cheers
Peter
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 AM

Peter,

That's the only draw back with the jomar sequencer is that you can't adjust the delay between the two sequences. You can slow the servo travel time but not the time between each ouput (main door vs inner door). Since the main door(retracts) are on air driven by a servo from sequencer, I can adjust the air flow to slow them but they need to be up before the inner door decides to go up.
No need to slow the air valve servo obviously.

There is actually a fair amount of delay time to make it realistic though. I really did not want to go with the complexity of using more air cylinders and air sequencers. So many tubes and things. This turned out to be a simple solution and cheaper.

The biggest problem though was working in the inner door hinges with the compound curve to the wing. Hope it all holds up to the air turbulance.

Thanks you all for the great comments. I just got a new load of Flite metal ready to continue on to the cowl. By the way Craig(Canuk1) I have been following your build....very nice work.

Dean
Old 01-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Banned

Dean,
who did you use for video hosting? I just registered with putfile.com but it will not let me upload anything. Any ideas?
cheers
Peter
Old 01-06-2006, 02:04 PM

Peter,

I am not sure why putfile will not let you upload. You may want to ask them. I use yahoo as my web host. I pay 9.95 a month which includes a domain name.

Dean
Old 01-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Hi guys,

I just bought a Giant P47 its my second kit and my first Warbird, This tread are going to be very helpful for me, my plans is to put a G62 or a Fuji 64, and cover it with Flite metal, I´m from Mexico so I´m going to cover it like the ones that had the Mexican Airforce.
Thanks I'll keep you updated.

Name:	Zx70384.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	382223  
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM

Sergio,

That's a great looking paint scheme for a P-47. I have not been able to decide on my scheme yet. But the scheme that I want is one with a female on the nose. I have been having bad luck with two different graphix businesses. I sent them the pictures they never returned with an answer.

My advice about f!ite metal is order it early and order extra. You will use up a lot of waste at first. It gets kindof expensive too. But the outcome is nice. If I had to do it over, I would probably paint with that aluminum paint that's available. Looks like actual aluminum when finished. I think you can buff it too. Lot's of jet guys use it. Do some searches. I forgot what it's called. I think an RC Jet plane dealer sells it.

Dean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.