Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Belcranks or servo

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Belcranks or servo

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Echoes
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belcranks or servo

Building a 60 size TF Mustang, are the belcranks sufficient for the ailerons, or should I use 2 servos? Will be adding Flaps and Retracts w/ os fs91
Old 11-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Belcranks or servo

Youi wont like the control response and sloppiness of the bellcranks. An extra sevoe is all your looking at adding. Think about this , if you have the linkage work itself loose for any reason then you have basically lost control. More security for roughy $13
Old 11-20-2005, 03:43 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always use bell cranks, if the plans call for extra servos in the wings I always upgrade the design by adding bell cranks. If you use an hobby knife to enlarge the holes in a bell crank so the pushrod fits and you are an all around sloppy builder then I would go with servos everywhere. I have my first Royal P-51 that I built in 1979 and although it hasn’t flown in quite some time the ailerons still work with the completely concealed bell cranks. It has hundreds of flights on it. Servos add unnecessary and unwanted weight to the wing tips, negatively affecting flight characteristics. This is especially true on the .60 size planes especially the Corsair, they didn't make the wingtips fabric for looks! I have no slop in my linkages, my current Top Flite P-51 has been flying for 8 years with bell cranks. Over 2 ounces a servo, add to that the hatch, hardwood and screws and long servo leads. Build carefully and light and it will fly better. Just a different perspective.

Dion

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38290.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	357600  
Old 11-20-2005, 11:55 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always go with todays smaller servos that are lighter and stronger than what was produced many years ago. Having redundancy on the ailerons can save your bird plus if you use a computer radio it is fairly easy to setup aileron differentials if you need to.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Spend the money it takes a lot of precision building to get it right the first time with the bellcranks since they are usually sealed nto the eing with no access yes they will cost some weight so splurge and get some of the smaller than std srvos for that position. Cut the servo leads in the middle splce in the extra wire that you need to avoid the extension wire connection and if you go wih a sealed servo you wil not add any excess weight.
Sparky
Old 11-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram-bro I agree, I think I'll even do it on a certain P-40 soon.
Another thing is if you have any unusual flight characteristics you can tweek them with the two servos. Some aircraft have less up aileron than down for example.
Dion, didn't the Corsairs have fuel tanks in the wings though? I agree, I don't like the weight away from the CG on sport planes but I think it might help on warbirds-not sure though (to make them less affected by up or down drafts. More scale like). I will find out soon enough!